Best Port for Hobbiton?

jajsmom

On 1/30/2023 at 2:52 PM, SueMo said:

We are planning a 2024 cruise out of Auckland as well.  If you are able to stay in Auckland a day or two pre cruise, there are quite a few tour companies that will take to to Hobbiton and the Waitomo glowworm caves.  That way you can save the port of Taurangua for seeing some of the geothermal parks in Rotorua.

This is great info.  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

What is WETA?

WETA Workshop is the company that does special effects, costumes, prosthetics, etc for a variety of movies. They were the main company that worked on the Lord of the Rings movies.   The company chose the name WETA after a rather large strange looking native to NZ bug.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Lisa, we're on the same cruise as you - Celebrity Edge.  Looking forward to it.

fantastic and same! 

also, as I understand it WETA Workshop is the company that did the special effects for the LOTR movies from their site:

Wētā Workshop Unleashed – Auckland: 

An global award-winning movie-making tour. Explore interactive and immersive make-believe film sets, focusing on the worlds of horror, fantasy and sci-fi. It's your chance to get up-close and hands-on with enchanting environments, resident creatures, one hyper-realistic giant, a galactic robot, and much more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:15 PM, DogLover said:

I nor my hubby are LOTR fans but in 2017 on our Sydney - Auckland cruise, we had a wonderful private guide and our tour included the WETA workshop in Wellington, NZ. It was incredible and highly recommended. 

This sounds wonderful!  Would you mind sharing the tour and guide info for me?  My daughter is a special effects makeup artist in LA and I think she would love to do this.  TIA!

Jill

1 hour ago, Jilliebean28 said:

This sounds wonderful!  Would you mind sharing the tour and guide info for me?  My daughter is a special effects makeup artist in LA and I think she would love to do this.  TIA!

Jill

Absolutely, Jill. We used Capital Personalized tours. I'm glad to see they're still in business since Covid hit the travel industry so hard (especially in Australia and NZ.) https://www.captours.co.nz/

All the best,

Sharon

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jilliebean28 said:

Jill

If you will be visiting Auckland, I highly recommend the WETA Unleashed experience.  Loads of displays and info about their special effects/makeup/props in the huge walk through space.  

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 4:09 PM, DogLover said:

Absolutely, Jill. We used Capital Personalized tours. I'm glad to see they're still in business since Covid hit the travel industry so hard (especially in Australia and NZ.) https://www.captours.co.nz/

All the best,

Sharon

Thanks for the link, just contacted them about the LOR tour.  Will be there in November on the Royal Princess.  Mike

• Like 1