Anyone currently on Viking Sea, Manaus->San Juan

Wander58

We are on the next Amazon cruise from San Juan to Manus, Feb 19->Mar 3.  The first sailing to Manaus seemed to have issues with disembarkation and with water restrictions.  Just wondering if there were any issue embarking in Manaus?  Any water restriction issue?  Any information that can be provided will be most helpful!

I was on the front end of that cruise (San Juan to Manaus). 
They asked us to conserve water while we were on the Amazon  because their desalinator had to be turned off while in the muddy river.  Based on that, I would expect the request to be careful with water to continue until the ship is back out in the ocean.

Other than the guest laundry being turned off, I didn't notice any change during this time - the water pressure was the same, servers still delivered water vigorously.  The fantail pool and hot tub were drained because they attract bugs, but the main pool, hot but and spa were all unchanged.

I don't know if they were able to take on any fresh water at any of the ports on the Amazon, but I doubt it - that would have required replenishment by a boat alongside and we didn't see anything like that happening.  Water may get tighter on the trip back down the Amazon.

39 minutes ago, RBachmann said:

I was on the front end of that cruise (San Juan to Manaus). 
They asked us to conserve water while we were on the Amazon  because their desalinator had to be turned off while in the muddy river.  Based on that, I would expect the request to be careful with water to continue until the ship is back out in the ocean.

Other than the guest laundry being turned off, I didn't notice any change during this time - the water pressure was the same, servers still delivered water vigorously.  The fantail pool and hot tub were drained because they attract bugs, but the main pool, hot but and spa were all unchanged.

I don't know if they were able to take on any fresh water at any of the ports on the Amazon, but I doubt it - that would have required replenishment by a boat alongside and we didn't see anything like that happening.  Water may get tighter on the trip back down the Amazon.

Thanks!  Did you have any issues with Dis-embarkation?

22 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

Thanks!  Did you have any issues with Dis-embarkation?

Hi Wander58.  We are on your cruise and pretty active on our Roll Call.  I closely followed the Roll Call of the January 6 first cruise and there is some good info there.  Disembarkation by both people having Viking transfer and independent travel was extensively discussed.  The Roll Call of the current sailing has been practically non existent.

40 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Hi Wander58.  We are on your cruise and pretty active on our Roll Call.  I closely followed the Roll Call of the January 6 first cruise and there is some good info there.  Disembarkation by both people having Viking transfer and independent travel was extensively discussed.  The Roll Call of the current sailing has been practically non existent.

HI,

Yep, I read through the Jan 6 roll call as well as ours.  It really sounded like getting from the ship to the airport was awful. I'm just wondering if the current cruise had issues in Manaus as well.  Based on what was said, I booked a private transfer for our group of 8 from the port to the airport for March 3 when we head to Rio.  We always do only carry on - I advised our group to do the same.  

We'll have to get together once we are on the ship!

Cheers, Laurie

49 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

HI,

Yep, I read through the Jan 6 roll call as well as ours.  It really sounded like getting from the ship to the airport was awful. I'm just wondering if the current cruise had issues in Manaus as well.  Based on what was said, I booked a private transfer for our group of 8 from the port to the airport for March 3 when we head to Rio.  We always do only carry on - I advised our group to do the same.  

Cheers, Laurie

Getting onto the shuttle boat to travel from the ship to the pier in Manaus was awkward for folks with luggage - the gangway was narrow, slippery and steep, and there was a big step down onto the shuttle boat.  Once you get to the pier at Manaus, you have to pass your luggage forward and they line them all up on the pier to let the drug dogs sniff them while the passengers remain on the boat. if you are only doing carryon for luggage, I hope they are small and manageable or you may find this part of the trip challenging.

40 minutes ago, RBachmann said:

Getting onto the shuttle boat to travel from the ship to the pier in Manaus was awkward for folks with luggage - the gangway was narrow, slippery and steep, and there was a big step down onto the shuttle boat.  Once you get to the pier at Manaus, you have to pass your luggage forward and they line them all up on the pier to let the drug dogs sniff them while the passengers remain on the boat. if you are only doing carryon for luggage, I hope they are small and manageable or you may find this part of the trip challenging.

Thanks SO much for the information.  We only travel with Carry on - basically a standard roller board and the bag that sits on top of it.  It always amazes me on the size and quantity of luggage that people bring.  Even on a 2 week cruise, we still seem to have stuff we didn't wear, plus we always do laundry.

But, based on your information - I'm going to try and pack even lighter!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wander58 said:

HI,

Cheers, Laurie

Hi again,  Have you joined our Feb 19 roll call?  Don't recall your name on it.  I would think that getting to the ship from the airport or a hotel would be easier - maybe not.  I also hope that Viking worked out the kinks in getting folks from the ship to the airport for our cruise.  The luggage handling for those of us doing our own transfers or post cruise activity will probably be the same.  Hope to meet on the ship.  Lorna & Ray

11 hours ago, RBachmann said:

Obrigado for this addtional information.  I am definately anticipating a challenge as i must hold on to a railing up or down and a cannot take a big step down unless i do like on a ladder - backwards.  At least i know to wear appropriate footwear.  I also cannot manage a carry on only.  But i can go with the flow without complaining.

3 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Obrigado for this addtional information.  I am definately anticipating a challenge as i must hold on to a railing up or down and a cannot take a big step down unless i do like on a ladder - backwards.  At least i know to wear appropriate footwear.  I also cannot manage a carry on only.  But i can go with the flow without complaining.

I did the trip with my 85 year old mom. She has trouble with her knees so walking long distances, uneven surfaces and big steps were hard but she was able to do it. We brought a folding transport chair which worked well in several places. 

• Thanks 1

RBachmann, since you are closely following posts (thank you) i have another question.  You mentioned the laundry was closed by the end of French Guiana day.  I am wondering if it ever opened again for the duration of your cruise.  We have the 3 days with active Viking excursions and another 6 days afterwards of hot, humid sweaty clothing weather.

It's not the muddy river that precludes making water, but the fact that the ship must be at least 12 miles from shore to make water.  So, once in the river, they cannot make any more water.  Whether or not the ship did take on water at the ports, it is available, as I spent a month at Manaus on a tanker, and we routinely took shore water.

I doubt that the laundry was reopened, as the cruise ended in the restricted water use time frame.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

It's not the muddy river that precludes making water, but the fact that the ship must be at least 12 miles from shore to make water.  So, once in the river, they cannot make any more water.  Whether or not the ship did take on water at the ports, it is available, as I spent a month at Manaus on a tanker, and we routinely took shore water.

I doubt that the laundry was reopened, as the cruise ended in the restricted water use time frame.

I recall that a Viking world cruise that went to Manaus reported that the laundry was supposed to be closed after French Guiana but indeed reopened a few days later.  Perhaps back then they docked rather then anchored and were able to take on water in Manaus.  They did not say which day it reopened.

38 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I recall that a Viking world cruise that went to Manaus reported that the laundry was supposed to be closed after French Guiana but indeed reopened a few days later.  Perhaps back then they docked rather then anchored and were able to take on water in Manaus.  They did not say which day it reopened.

We took on water from a boat while at anchor.  It is available in Manaus, and I suspect Santarem as well.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

RBachmann, since you are closely following posts (thank you) i have another question.  You mentioned the laundry was closed by the end of French Guiana day.  I am wondering if it ever opened again for the duration of your cruise.  We have the 3 days with active Viking excursions and another 6 days afterwards of hot, humid sweaty clothing weather.

I can’t confirm that the guest laundry actually closed or when it reopened. I packed enough clothes for more than half the trip, and did laundry on the second sea day, more than a day prior to the published closure, so I had plenty of clean clothes to finish the trip. 

• Thanks 1

I sent several items to the laundry to be done. They still accepted items to be laundered by them when the common laundry facilities were closed.  Their prices are very reasonable and turn-around is very quick. 

Rick, do you have a photo of you and your mother you can share? You can send it to me at my email if you want: h2otstr at aol dot com. 

6 minutes ago, H2Otstr said:

I sent several items to the laundry to be done. They still accepted items to be laundered by them when the common laundry facilities were closed.  Their prices are very reasonable and turn-around is very quick. 

Rick, do you have a photo of you and your mother you can share? You can send it to me at my email if you want: h2otstr at aol dot com. 

Sure. Here’s us up on the observation deck at Isles du Salut. 

34475A6C-E7CB-4780-8E50-E6F7B5DE4A06.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, H2Otstr said:

Your mom looks great for being 85. Bet she enjoyed traveling with you to help her, too. 

She gets around really well and had a great time.  We would love to do a Nile cruise, but unsure as to how accessible the excursions would be for her.

27 minutes ago, RBachmann said:

She gets around really well and had a great time.  We would love to do a Nile cruise, but unsure as to how accessible the excursions would be for her.

Check out the roll calls for 2022 and 2023. Also @Peregrina651is just back from Egypt/Jordan on Viking. Maybe she will weigh in with some suggestions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2779792-all-2023-viking-egypt/page/24/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2769637-all-2022-viking-egypt/page/34/

45 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Check out the roll calls for 2022 and 2023. Also @Peregrina651is just back from Egypt/Jordan on Viking. Maybe she will weigh in with some suggestions.

@RBachmann I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have but not here (it is off topic). We can move the discussion to the 2023 thread linked to above,  so other folks can chime in as well, or you can email me (my email is in my signature).

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

@RBachmann I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have but not here (it is off topic). We can move the discussion to the 2023 thread linked to above,  so other folks can chime in as well, or you can email me (my email is in my signature).

I posted my question there thanks