MSC and NYC/Brooklyn Port First Timer questions

Anastas617

Hello all. Let me start by apologizing if this is all already covered, but I just spent awhile looking with forum searches and didn't really find what the answers.

I already have a Mediterranean cruise booked in October on the Grandiosa and a land trip I had intended to take in July does not look like it will pan out. So, there was a sale on NYC cruises for MSC and I put on deposit on the July 16-23 cruise on the Meraviglia. Being from Massachusetts, it seems to make more sense for me to just drive there than going through the rigamarole of flying or getting to the bus. Here comes the questions:

• Is the parking for the Brooklyn Red Hook Port very close? I read that it is advised to drop off luggage and passengers first, but I am a solo traveler, so will be bringing luggage from where I park. Also read conflicting quotes on the parking rate ($25 vs $30/day).
  • Are there alternative "park n' cruise" type lots that are more recommended by veteran NYC cruisers?
  • I signed up for late dining because I understand late is usually less crowded, but 9:30pm is a bit much. If I switch to early-dining is it usually pretty easy to get assigned the 7:30pm time?
  • Is MSC good about seating you alone without fuss or are they more apt to try to get you to share a table? I'm more of an introvert and also not necessarily someone that "takes my time" and turns dinner into a 90-minute affair.

Thanks, in advance. I know the answers are probably all in the forum somewhere, but I reached the point that I was sick of searching. 🙂 

17 minutes ago, Anastas617 said:

Hello all. Let me start by apologizing if this is all already covered, but I just spent awhile looking with forum searches and didn't really find what the answers.

I already have a Mediterranean cruise booked in October on the Grandiosa and a land trip I had intended to take in July does not look like it will pan out. So, there was a sale on NYC cruises for MSC and I put on deposit on the July 16-23 cruise on the Meraviglia. Being from Massachusetts, it seems to make more sense for me to just drive there than going through the rigamarole of flying or getting to the bus. Here comes the questions:

• Is the parking for the Brooklyn Red Hook Port very close? I read that it is advised to drop off luggage and passengers first, but I am a solo traveler, so will be bringing luggage from where I park. Also read conflicting quotes on the parking rate ($25 vs $30/day).
  • Are there alternative "park n' cruise" type lots that are more recommended by veteran NYC cruisers?
  • I signed up for late dining because I understand late is usually less crowded, but 9:30pm is a bit much. If I switch to early-dining is it usually pretty easy to get assigned the 7:30pm time?
  • Is MSC good about seating you alone without fuss or are they more apt to try to get you to share a table? I'm more of an introvert and also not necessarily someone that "takes my time" and turns dinner into a 90-minute affair.

Thanks, in advance. I know the answers are probably all in the forum somewhere, but I reached the point that I was sick of searching. 🙂 

Parking is in a lot directly across from the terminal.  No need to worry about having to drop off your luggage. The terminal is located in a bit of an industrial area and not visible from the street. Not sure of the price since I haven’t from their since pre-pandemic.

Enjoy your cruise

• Like 1

Hi 

We live in RI and have parked at that lot in Brooklyn. It’s very easy and an easy walk to the ship. 

We’re looking to book Meraviglia in Sept out of NY and may take the train in this time. Not sure what part of MA you live in but that’s another option for you. 

• Like 1

Hi,

we have also been looking at booking one of these out of NY also, but are waiting for better deals including the drink package since the May trips still appear to be pretty empty probably due to them being relatively new to NY.

We also took the early seating last time on MSC since we didn’t want to eat at 9:30. It was printed on your cruise card your dining time and table number. I guess you could call if you booked directly or have your travel agent request, but as many have noted, their customer service is sometimes lacking and any request may not matter.

They assigned us for 6pm and we checked for when the Maitre’d was available after boarding. We wound up having a table for 12 and the Maitre’d did the usual routine that it was very crowded and not much available later for a table for 2. They eventually gave us 7 pm with a table for 2 after the usual begging. The table ended up being a long 6 or 8 top that wasn’t split where usually there was just one other couple at the other end so you had a little privacy since we were on the other end.

We found dining usually slow since portions are small and many people order multiple apps, entrees that keeps the wait staff very busy. Also it is very hit or miss whether you can get a mixed drink in the dining room so always bring one in if you don’t want wine for dinner which many times is the only available option.

Have a great trip!

• Like 1

I'm going on Meraviglia in November, and I booked the Acela from Providence for $56 each way. It's cheap if you book early enough. Can't beat that price for the convenience, although Brooklyn Cruise Terminal is a bit more of an effort from the train station than the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. The best part is the return trip home. No worries, just relax and enjoy the view and you really don't need to be at the train station as early as you would if you were flying.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Quick google search states on the Red Hook website that overnight parking is 30 per day or 210 for the week. 

LOL...which works out to $30 a day.  Maybe if the advertise it like that they hope people can't do simple math and think they are getting a deal if they park at the weekly price.

@styles27 @orangemini thanks for the input. I live in Central Mass nowadays and Amtrak doesn't run out of Worcester on Sundays. So both financially and time-wise it is more practical to drive rather than the logistics/costs of going to Boston or Providence for the train. Plus I have to use up all my excess lease mileage! 🙂 

8 hours ago, omarchs said:

Hi,

we have also been looking at booking one of these out of NY also, but are waiting for better deals including the drink package since the May trips still appear to be pretty empty probably due to them being relatively new to NY.

We also took the early seating last time on MSC since we didn’t want to eat at 9:30. It was printed on your cruise card your dining time and table number. I guess you could call if you booked directly or have your travel agent request, but as many have noted, their customer service is sometimes lacking and any request may not matter.

They assigned us for 6pm and we checked for when the Maitre’d was available after boarding. We wound up having a table for 12 and the Maitre’d did the usual routine that it was very crowded and not much available later for a table for 2. They eventually gave us 7 pm with a table for 2 after the usual begging. The table ended up being a long 6 or 8 top that wasn’t split where usually there was just one other couple at the other end so you had a little privacy since we were on the other end.

We found dining usually slow since portions are small and many people order multiple apps, entrees that keeps the wait staff very busy. Also it is very hit or miss whether you can get a mixed drink in the dining room so always bring one in if you don’t want wine for dinner which many times is the only available option.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for the very detailed feedback. Seating at a table for 12 is my worst nightmare! 🤣 I guess I'll make the change to early and see what I can do when on board. (I suppose if they had early/mid/late dining the vast majority would choose mid and that's why they lump 7:30 in with "early"?)

Really appreciate the response. Cruising is a new venture for me, so I'm probably asking questions just to calm the nerves a bit.