Looking for advice on beaches on the west side of St Croix

GotMINI

Having difficult time finding good information on St Croix.  Not much being posted here or even on other websites.  Postings seem quite dated too when can find, so not putting much into those.   

We are looking for nice beach area.  Not interested in snorkeling.  Just pretty sand and not too rocky so can dip in water.  Have been to Rainbow Beach on prior cruise.  It was okay.  Very crowded and full of loud people.  Think popular as it may be one of few if any places that rent beach chairs.  Would like to try other area, without venturing too far across the island.  We were considering Sand Castle on the Beach, but $40pp seems pricey.   I did just stumble upon a day pass at The Fred which is more reasonable.  It's a bit further down beach.   We were really interested in Sandy Point Nat'l Wildlife Refuge (turtle sanctuary) but it seems to only be open weekends and we'll be in port on a Friday.   Thinking of heading as far south as can get, then walking along beach there (is possible).    Area called West Beach.  Have read the beach is nice, but also read about cars getting broken into.  Bit concerned about it being remote, and possibly unsafe.  Anyone know?   There's also a Frederisked Pool which seems to be closed, closer to Sandy Point so maybe take taxi since closer, walking along beach for awhile, then start heading back on foot towards the pier, stopping at The Fred for drinks, then taxi back to port or keep walking.  Could be 30-60 min on foot.   Anyone have experience in this area???

I will try to be helpful as I spend winters on St. croix. 

Sandy point is supposed to be open on cruise ship days but I’ve never tried. Perhaps the taxi drivers would know. If you do go, make sure that the taxi will come back to get you as its about a two mile walk back to the pier if they don’t. 

there is a nice beach just to the north of the pier and they rent chairs, have refreshments on cruise ship days.

you could also go to Dorsch Beach adjacent to Sandcastles but no chairs to rent. We really like a day pass at Sandcastles but it’s only $15 on non cruise ship days.

if you don’t care about renting a chair, you could get a taxi to Rainbow Beach and ask them to take you just north of there to Cowboy Beach. We were just there today and it’s just lovely. But no services. 

22 hours ago, lovestx said:

I will try to be helpful as I spend winters on St. croix. 

Sandy point is supposed to be open on cruise ship days but I’ve never tried. Perhaps the taxi drivers would know. If you do go, make sure that the taxi will come back to get you as its about a two mile walk back to the pier if they don’t. 

there is a nice beach just to the north of the pier and they rent chairs, have refreshments on cruise ship days.

you could also go to Dorsch Beach adjacent to Sandcastles but no chairs to rent. We really like a day pass at Sandcastles but it’s only $15 on non cruise ship days.

if you don’t care about renting a chair, you could get a taxi to Rainbow Beach and ask them to take you just north of there to Cowboy Beach. We were just there today and it’s just lovely. But no services. 

Thank you for the feedback.   Just found place called The Fred that offers day pass and may check that out if we don’t attempt Sandy Point.  We’ll probably decide the day before or of our visit to STX,