Switching people in Cabins

jkbec101

Here's are scenario.

We have three cabins booked for June on the Escape.  There are a total of 7 of us.  

We are using NCL air.  

Six of us live in SoCal, one (my mom in her 80's) lives in KC, MO.  We put my mom and daughter (21) in the same cabin for air reservation purposes (we'll fly my daughter to KC in order to fly with my Mom, but once on the cruise my daughter and my Mother in Law will switch cabins.  

My question is when would you make the switch, at check-in, right after boarding, some other time?  

You don't.  At check-in, you'll get the appropriate individuals keys for the appropriate cabins.  That won't be an issue.  But it's unlikely they'd allow you to change the names on the reservation.

Example:  I'm CAS and usually travel in my own cabin.  At one time, they would waive the single supplement for someone in a second cabin (sadly, this is no longer the case.)  I was travelling with my niece and her friend.  On the reservation, my niece and I were in cabin 1, the friend was in #2.  In reality, they were in one cabin and I was in the other.  My niece just got a keycard for the friend's room.

3 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

Here's are scenario.

We have three cabins booked for June on the Escape.  There are a total of 7 of us.  

We are using NCL air.  

Six of us live in SoCal, one (my mom in her 80's) lives in KC, MO.  We put my mom and daughter (21) in the same cabin for air reservation purposes (we'll fly my daughter to KC in order to fly with my Mom, but once on the cruise my daughter and my Mother in Law will switch cabins.  

My question is when would you make the switch, at check-in, right after boarding, some other time?  

As phillygwm wrote, you don't make an official change of cabin.

However, anyone (A) can arrange for someone else (B) to have a card that will open A's cabin.  However, it won't have charge privileges, which will remain with B's original card.

When we arrange for our family to get extra cards to our suite (so that they can spend time with us, but not wait for us to be there to get in), we write some sort of code on it with permanent marker, but NOT the cabin/suite number (for obvious reasons, in case it gets lost).

As far as really physically changing cabins/beds, the cruiseline doesn't do "bed checks", so don't worry about that.  IF it's helpful, you might tell the steward who is "there" in case it makes a difference or might be confusing.

In one case, we had a Pack N Play for a little grand in "their" cabin, and we had a second Pack N Play in our suite for naps, etc.  In that case, we requested it in advance, and it was already set up when we arrived.  No problem.

GC