Ship board excursion question

Has anyone taken a ship board excursion and after the excursion is over taken a taxi to do something else rather than go back immediatly to the ship? 

Some people we are traveling with will absoutly not take an excursion from that is not offered by RCI. 

This will be in Cozumel and the ATV tour through RCI. 

I hope this makes sence.

Thanks

We were in ISP last summer and had an early tour, finished around ten, went walking around to explore the port as well as the town nearby.  Granted, it’s contained and small, but we are planning on doing the same in ISP and Ketchikan this summer too. 

2 hours ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Has anyone taken a ship board excursion and after the excursion is over taken a taxi to do something else rather than go back immediatly to the ship? 

Some people we are traveling with will absoutly not take an excursion from that is not offered by RCI. 

I hope this makes sence.

Thanks

Ship tours typically start and end at/near the cruise pier. I would bet you will get dropped off by transportation in the port area in Cozumel. Then you could taxi elsewhere, shop/eat/drink in the port area, or return to the ship. 

I hope this makes sence.

Thanks

Yes.  And cozumel if you have a long port day is good to grab a cab and go to a beach.  If say your excursion is over at 11 or 12 and you are in port until 5, you can take a cab anywhere or even walk over to the beach bars near the ship.  Punta Sur or AIs are probably not a good idea but Money Bar, Sky Reef are good spots for a few hours.  

• Like 1

I hope this makes sence.

Thanks

I think lots of people mill about at the port after an excursion (ship-based or private).  Most ports are filled with vendors selling food/drink or cheap trinkets, and lots of people are drawn into these things.  If your friends are afraid of being left by the ship (they can read a watch, right?), let them know that people on shore excursions never really get left ... it's the people who've sat down at a $2 beer place in the shadow of the ship who lose track of time and get themselves left.  

We have done a private ATV tour in Cozumel, and it was one of THE BEST excursions we've ever taken -- sorry, I can't remember the vendor, as it's been quite some time.  Seriously, it was great -- my husband looked into buying an ATV for our farm after the trip.  We walked a short distance to a shopping center, where we met our ride, and they drove us in a van to the ATV site.  The van was labeled with the company name, and the drivers were wearing shirts and name tags identifying them, so we felt perfectly safe.  After the excursion, they offered us the choice of being dropped at a beach (and finding our own taxi back to the ship) or being returned to the dock.  

This tour was, in part, far superior to the ship's offerings because we were in a small group of 10-12 people.  We weren't herded onto a bus, then forced to stop at some straw market that's giving a kick-back to the cruise line.  Our guide was great, offered bathroom stops, etc.  

Three tips about the ATV ride: 

- Bring a bandana to put over your head, as you'll be wearing a helmet other people have used. 

- Bring bug spray -- I was so glad one of our fellow travelers had some to share.  

- Consider wearing throw-away clothes.  Wow, that's such a first-world thing to say, but -- seriously -- we took this excursion just after a week of solid rain, and we were riding in the mud!  Our clothes were splattered and never came clean.  After the excursion, I was looking through things at one of those little vendor's shops, and my husband was standing around.  The vendor asked him not to stand near his shop, as he was so filthy he was making his wares look bad, then -- realizing he'd been rude, he offered to use his hose on my husband!  We still laugh about that. 

Sorry for not being clear.

I did not want to ride the bus back to the port.

I am thinking about taking a taxi to paradise Beach to meet up with the rest of the family and not getting back on the bus. Catching a ride from the end of the ATV excursion as this would save time not going all the way back to be dropped off.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, Luke gs Daddy said:

Sorry for not being clear.

I did not want to ride the bus back to the port.

I am thinking about taking a taxi to paradise Beach to meet up with the rest of the family and not getting back on the bus. Catching a ride from the end of the ATV excursion as this would save time not going all the way back to be dropped off.

Thanks.

I would let the excursion hosts know when you first arrive.  You don't want to just not be on the bus as that would cause problems if they do a head count. 

I don't think it would be a problem.  Some excursions say if you miss the bus, you're your own.

• Like 1

The problem is that any ship excursion will take you back to the port. The RCCL subbed out guy cannot be held accountable should a taxi not show up for you.  Why not just return to the port with the group and then taxi out? Do you know where this excursion ends ahead of time?

An alternative is to look at private guides from trip advisor and viator, call them and ask for that pickup spot, you'll pay a bit more, but these folks can tailor what you want and save you the hassle of the port return. I use these sites several times a year.  just check their most recent reviews.