Docking in Kahului with 2 kids (ages 10 and 12)

Cristina5468

Hello! We are doing POA and are docked for 2 days here.  Any recs on what to do for family of 4 with kids these ages?  I don't think they would do well on a bus the entire day.  I was thinking of doing a day pass at a resort for one of the days as my kids do love a good pool.  And perhaps the other day a tour of some sort. 

1 hour ago, Cristina5468 said:

I don't think they would do well on a bus the entire day.

Maui, especially with an overnight, is super easy to do on your own-- no need for an organized tour unless you really want one (which it doesn't sound like). 

1 hour ago, Cristina5468 said:

was thinking of doing a day pass at a resort for one of the days as my kids do love a good pool.

There are very few hotels in Hawaii, and even fewer in Maui, that offer day passes (most are in Honolulu). On Maui I believe only the Fairmont and Andaz, both in Wailea, do and its a cabana rental for about $400 for the day. The Fairmont is family friendly, the Andaz is more focused on adults. 

All beaches in Hawaii are public, and you can rent chairs/umbreallas and beach gear, at each resort on the beach. But otherwise the resorts have a guest only policy for their pools and they police them stringently with wristbands. You could always get a room for a day (or overnight) and that would solve it and give you a place to change etc. 

I understand it's easy to do on your own, but with kids, sometimes it's just nice not to think or plan.  It's easier for the parents to just to the tour...know what I mean? What would be the rec in this case?

Edited by Cristina5468

The only 5 hotels on Maui that offer a day pass and the only one I'd recommend is the Fairmont. The Andaz is NOT a good hotel for kids, especially 10 and 12.

As far as activity, if possible I'd rent a car and go Up Country in Maui, maybe as far as Haleakala National Park. Do some research on what Upcountry offers, but it is VERY different from the Hawaii of your imagination.

• Like 1