Sail Away Parties on other cruise lines

OttawaJohn

Hi all

My wife and I were talking to some friends of ours about differences in the cruise lines we've been on, and the sail away parties came up.

We love the NCL sail away party, and wondered what other lines do them like that.  Full on, with a DJ/entertainer, dancing, music, etc.

I think Princess does but don't recall anything like it on Celebrity. 

Anyone know if Holland, MSC, Carnival, etc do events like that?

Thanks in advance!

We don’t generally go to the sail away parties any more, choosing instead to find the highest outside bar with the best view and meet new friends in a quieter spot.  Carnival used to have a great sail away with a Caribbean band, but a while back they switched to a DJ and it kind of took something away from it.  I’m not sure what they do now, if they have resumed that, but I doubt it given the losses they, and everyone else, suffered during COVID.

36 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We don’t generally go to the sail away parties any more, choosing instead to find the highest outside bar with the best view and meet new friends in a quieter spot.  Carnival used to have a great sail away with a Caribbean band, but a while back they switched to a DJ and it kind of took something away from it.  I’m not sure what they do now, if they have resumed that, but I doubt it given the losses they, and everyone else, suffered during COVID.

In December we did Carnival and it was a DJ and VERY loud and rowdy. People seemed to love it - it was packed. But it's not our scene. We use that time to find a quiet deck or out of the way hot tub area.

On our first cruise, we were sitting on our balcony on Epic in Barcelona, sipping a Spanish red wine that they hadn't bothered to take away from us somehow, and Mrs. Quercus said, "Hey, we're moving."

"So we are."

<clink> [sip]

And so, a tradition was born.

We can usually hear the festivities up above, but there's really nothing like a balcony, a beverage, and the first breaths of vacation air.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, OttawaJohn said:

Hi all

My wife and I were talking to some friends of ours about differences in the cruise lines we've been on, and the sail away parties came up.

We love the NCL sail away party, and wondered what other lines do them like that.  Full on, with a DJ/entertainer, dancing, music, etc.

I think Princess does but don't recall anything like it on Celebrity. 

Anyone know if Holland, MSC, Carnival, etc do events like that?

Thanks in advance!

Celebrity has non existent parties and slilent disco.

Holland America is for old people, one cruise and done, until I actually get that old. No activities.

RCL has a party here or there and ends quickly. And again silent disco and karaoke constantly, bored to tears in May on adventure for 9 nights!

Ncl has onboard activities staff that can’t be beat! Recently on Getaway 12 nights we did over 20,000 steps daily with 7 am stretching classes and at 8:45 Zumba type classes and 11 am dancing classes and 1 pm activities and dancing by pool and in atrium with Reggae band and then Latin duo in sugarcane mojitos bar next Bliss lounge with dj or live bands. No weight gain here.  While you’re feeling good and young enough to move your body enjoy NCL! Ya can cruise with the others when you are older……

Most of the Carnival sailaway parties I have seen have been led by the cruise director or maybe other entertainment staff, who are naturals at getting people into a vacation/party mood, and feature line dancing etc.  You can find plenty of videos of them on youtube.

Edited by zzdoug