Wheelchair Accessible Taxi / Transfers in Fort Lauderdale

cruisn43

We will be cruising out of Fort Lauderdale next January and will require a wheelchair accessible transfers/taxi from the airport to our hotel, to the cruise port, and back to the airport.  My husband will need to stay in his chair, rather than transfer into the vehicle.  I've checked online and am having a hard time finding a company with wheelchair accessible vans.  I would prefer to book in advance.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Yellow Cab does have several wheelchair taxis in their fleet. They can take reservations, but there is no guarantee that they will show up on time, especially if they are held up on a previous call.

We have previously rented sn accessible van for a day for about $165, but considerably more if you need to be picked up at the airport. I grew up in Fort Lauderdale so had a friend actually pick up the van and drive the 1 mile to the tetminal, The friend was officially on our rental agreement.

The rental location was conveniently to both FLL and Port Everglades.

The friend drove us to the port and then returned the van. Plan B was for my spouse to drop the van and get an uner back to the ship before we boarded.

We purposefully booked a ship’s excursion that specifically accommodated wheelchairs to get from the ship back yo the airport but had to adjust because of the Southwest flight collapse.

Thank you @FOPMan.  I appreciate you sharing your experiences.

I had read about Yellow Cab, but was worried about them being there when we need them.  Renting an accessible van is an option.  Without a friend to help with the pick up it would be challenging, but it may be something we need to do.  We are looking at doing transfers through Princess, but unfortunately, the hotel we have been quoted does not have a room to meet our needs (we need an accessible room with a couch as well as a bed).  

Do you mind sharing the name of the rental company (if that is allowed).

My wide says we rented through Smartweels. They’ll pick you up at the airport for an extra fee, but since we were going to see our friend anyway, and Ive known them forever, it was an easy choice.

I believe the tower accessible rooms at The Riverside have sofas. The Riverside is a lively hotel on Las Olas. Plenty of rollable choices for food and in the middle of it all.

• Like 1

Sorry for the typos- “wife” and “lovely” should be substituted as appropriate (though lively also works). The hotel is about 15 minutes maximum from Port Everglades. The hotels on 17th Street are closer to the port. If you’re sailing Princess, there’s a chance you’d be at a berth that is rollable from the Renaissance or the Hilton Marina- Princess often uses the berths nearest those hotels.

If that’s the case, I’d have an ambulatory person take a csb with the luggage to the ship, go back to the hotel, and walk over with the wheelchair user, especially if the cruise was October-May (cooler weather). 

Thanks again @FOPMan.  More good information/suggestions.  The cruise is Panama Canal with Princess in mid January.  We'll stay 2 nights in Fort Lauderdale pre cruise as we are flying from Ontario.  No guarantee of weather here at that time of year, so we want to be safe.   With my luck, if we planned to roll over to the port it would end up raining!  Both of those hotels do not have an accessible room that meets our needs.  I've had a conversation with the concierge at Embassy Suites.  He says he has someone who can do the wheelchair transfers for us.  I know ES is not getting good reviews lately, and is dated.  Apparently a big reno is scheduled.  I will keep searching.  Hard to believe that wheelchair accessible transportation is so hard to find.

I’m trying to remember if the accessible room at Lago Mar has a sofa in it. It’s big enough to, and I’d imagine the hotel might put one in for you from another room. (Lago Mar is directly on Fort Lauderdale beach, about 3/4 of a mile from Port Everglades). There is no easy access to restaurants off-property,  but it is a lovely hotel. 

Are you looking for the sofa as a bed or because of a seating need?

@FOPManI hadn't looked at Lago Mar.  It looks like they have an accessible one bedroom suite.  Sofa is for seating during the day before the cruise starts.  I'm going to give them a call.  It looks like they also have a concierge who may have a contact for an accessible transfer.  Thanks so much for your help!

• Like 1

My husband utilizes a scooter and cannot walk. He always remains in his scooter. We usually  book an accessible room at Embassy Suites when flying in the day before our cruise. There has always been an accessible van/cab available in the cab line at the airport to take us to the hotel. The concierge at the hotel is aware of what cab companies have an accessible van and will call for us the next day when we are ready to go to the ship. We do allow plenty of time as we have had to wait for the van to come.  After the cruise again there has always been an accessible van in the cab line to take us back to the airport. Hope this info helps.

• Like 1

We just had a wheelchair accessible taxi pick us up at the cruise ship port in Fort Lauderdale on Sunday.  This was a van with a ramp for the wheelchair.   The person who was in charge of organizing the taxis apparently called specifically for a wheelchair taxi.   We had to wait about 8 minutes for it to arrive.  I asked the taxi driver (it was Yellow Cab) how many wheelchair taxis they had and he didn't know but he said they had several.   I then asked how you request a wheelchair taxi, say, from your hotel to the cruise ship port, and he said to reserve it ahead of time.  We have used Yellow Cab numerous times in Fort Lauderdale (although we've have never had an accessible cab with them until yesterday) and they have been our go to cab company.  The cost between the cruise ship pier to FLL was under $12 (plus tip).   Here's their information.   Look at the wheelchair accessible section for the phone number.  

http://www.yellowcabbroward.com/our-services/  

When we're  back in Fort Lauderdale in April I'm going to try Yellow Cab's accessible vehicle reservation sysem for transportation from the hotel to the pier and see how it works.  

Uber has accessible vehicles called WAV (Lyft has the same thing) that might be a possibility.

https://www.uber.com/us/en/about/accessibility/

yellow.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all!

This thread is over a year old, but was wondering if there are any updates?  We are cruising from Port Everglades in July 2024.  We have an accessible 2 bedroom unit booked at the Hyatt House.  Just needing accessible transportation from FLL to the Hyatt House, Hyatt House to Port Everglades and Port Everglades to FLL.  I got a quote from a company that was $165 for EACH of these trips!  Hoping there are other options.  Sounds like Yellow Cab has accessible vehicles.  That could work for the first 2 transports.  I'm concerned about disembarkation day.  Seems like that would be very busy for cabs and don't want to wait too long to get back to the airport.

TIA

For the ship to airport transfer, its probably easiest to book a transfer through the cruise line. They pretty much HAVE to offer a wheelchair transfer. It’s often a greyhound-style bus with a wheelchair lift, but could also be a wheelchair accessible van. If your flight is later in the day, the tours/drop off at airport trips will also have an accessible option.

@FOPMan thanks for the tip!  We are cruising with Disney and have booked the ship to airport shuttle.  It is $29 per person.  A little pricey for 4 of us, but worth the peace of mind.  Still planning to use Yellow Cab for airport to hotel and hotel to port.

You could always split the difference and go 2+2, with 2 in a ride share or taxi. It’s a 15 minute ride. Both taxis and ride shares ate plentiful.$30 would cover fare and a generous tip.