Onboard internet

jjeffjb

Jan, thank you so much for the added information.  We were trying to guess what the connection cost the ship.  We were also thinking that any cruise line can bump up the fare to include wifi, and bandwidth can be limited to prevent passengers from being piggies about it, although I cannot imagine anyone wanting to watch movies on their devices when on an Atlas cruise.

I have to say that we did watch more TV and movies in our stateroom than on other cruises.  There was less entertainment onboard than what we've experienced on other small ships.  I know this is off-topic for this thread, but are there guest lecturers for other destinations?   The only thing happening in the auditorium were vary pragmatic port talks.  The few available shore excursions were described after the land experience director (I forget his title) read a paragraph about the location.

I also don't like to complain.  We would sail again with Atlas in a heartbeat.  There were just a few weird glitches.

26 minutes ago, JanR said:

The internet is the most frustrating thing we have endured on our two Atlas cruises.  Not the speeds, which are fairly quick, but the package.  

The Starlink's Maritime package costs a cruise ship about $5000 a month.  For an Antarctica cruise, with just about 145 passengers, that's just $35 per person for just one cruise that month.  I get they are a company and need to make money, so add $100 to the bill for everyone and give passengers unlimited WIFI.  Despite a very minor cost addition, it would build more value to the line.  In areas where the bandwidth is limited (polar regions), then I get the need to throttle back bandwidth preventing streaming services.  But their idea of limiting their internet to 1GB is a throwback to the internet model used a decade or two ago.

Now, let me put in perspective what I just wrote above.  DW and my #1 issue with Atlas is the internet package.  When our biggest issue is the internet package, that's a pretty good indication of how good our experiences have been on the cruise line.

+1 

After three Atlas cruises, it's our main complaint.