Princess Noob

Nike4000

On 2/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, Nike4000 said:

We're considering a Reserve Collection Mini-Suite but are intrigued by the opulence of a Premium Suite. For 12 days, are the upgraded perks of the Premium Suite worth the extra expense over the Reserve Collection Mini-Suite?

I wish they would stop calling them mini-suites, because they are not suites.  They are extended length cabins with large bathrooms (they have tub/shower combos instead of just a shower).  The minis also are long enough that you have a full sized sitting area with convertible couch, coffee table, a separate TV from the one that points to the bed (running both at the same time with different programs on is chaotic in a mini, but you can do it).  Reserve Collection is the new branding for what we have known as Club Class, which means you have access to Club Class dining in the MDR every night.  They have one or two extra menu items on a fresh sheet in Club Class dining along with a dish or two that is prepared tableside.  Plus no lines or waiting at the MDR.  It is a nice touch when you are staying in a "regular" class of cabin.  I think with the Reserve or Club Class minis you still get two half bottles of wine, one red and one white.  Not sure on that one.  However, the suite perks are not part of any mini-suite.

Instead of upgrading to the Premium Suite, would it be better to upgrade to the "Best" cruise option(instead of "Better")? As mentioned, we don't drink alcohol, so wine tastings, champagne, etc., are not selling points for us. However, things like specialty meals, reserved seating at shows, and premium desserts are interesting.

If you are not drinkers, I think you will be better off getting a full suite or "Premium Suite".  Nicer accommodations, more room, access to the Concierge Lounge and the concierge, embarkation night complimentary meal in a specialty restaurant, and more.  Princess Plus will pay for gratuities and give you all beverage access (up to a menu price of $15), but I'm not sure it would be a good value for you.  If you are big pop drinkers then the N/A beverage package will probably be a better deal, and you then pay your gratuities on your on-board folio.  Keep in mind, that all beverages and food in the Concierge Lounge are complimentary, so if you are looking for pop, or an espresso, a light snack, you can get it there instead of going someplace else on ship.  We have a July '23 cruise coming up and opted for Premium with our suite, we'll see if we feel if it is worth the cost.  We felt we had to try it once to see if we can make it pencil out.  If not, we will do Plus in the future, or no package at all.  We felt it would be a bit too difficult to try to determine our behavior on board to get a mathematical calculation on how much value it provides us.  Plus we didn't want to be attached at the hip to the Concierge Lounge for free beverages when we might want to be someplace else on ship.

I've learned over the years that when on vacation, when it is practical, I almost always have a mug of coffee in my hand, so I ensure that I'll be covered for that on cruises.  We became c*vid campers in 2020 and purchased an older Class A to go camping in.  It has one of those Spacemaker coffee makers mounted above the dinette and I find that once we are parked and set up, I put on a pot of coffee and I have coffee going pretty much from wake up until I go to bed (caffeine doesn't bother me).  I'm the same way on a cruise, and specialty coffee charges do rack up pretty fast, especially if you want a decent cup of brewed coffee.  So consider what beverages you do drink on a daily basis and determine if going with no package and just buying the N/A beverage package or a coffee package would be money better spent.

Speaking of, what are the "premium desserts" that are considered perks on the Better & Best packages?

Gelato or any desert that has a price tag attached.

How are the medallions used? I saw that they do "stuff," but how, when, and where? I picture a form factor similar to an airtag, is that pretty accurate? Is it used as a room key?

Many third party Airtag holders will actually accommodate the medallion.  Consider that if you are thinking about purchasing a medallion accessory from Princess.  It unlocks your cabin door, it provides on-board geolocation to people in your travel group when displayed on the Medallion app on your phone or tablet.  It acts like a cruise card, so on-board purchases are all charged to your on-board folio through the medallion.  If you have Plus or Premium the bartender or server will still scan your medallion.  If you purchase something on board, they will scan your medallion and the charges will go to your folio.  If you order food and beverage to be delivered to you through the app, the medallion gives the server your location to deliver to you.

We're super interested in "The Enclave." I see that complimentary access is included in the Premium Suite. As first time Princess cruisers, are we going to be out of luck trying to get passes for the duration of the cruise if we go with a Reserve Collection Mini-Suite?

I think you can get a pass without a problem, but if you are absolutely convinced you will use it most days of the cruise and want a cruise-long pass, you'll want to get to the spa on embarkation day and get on their list and pay for it.  However, if you are in a full suite, you won't be turned away.

Will we get earlier access to book excursions depending on the level of suite we book?

Well... maybe, maybe not.  If you are dead set on a particular excursion sold by the cruise line, you would be better off booking it through the Cruise Personalizer ahead of the cruise than waiting until you get on board.  Excursions are always capacity based, so when the provider runs out of room, that is that.  You can always use the concierge in the Lounge to book excursions while on board, but I don't think that will give you priority.

We're also considering similar-ish itineraries from Silversea and Oceania. I worry that those two options will skew much older since my dad said those are his lines of choice & he's pushing 80.

Both of those lines are more or totally all-inclusive, and yes the cruiser on those lines is much older, mostly because they have the money to drop on an all-inclusive cruise.  I don't think there is too much comparison between Princess and a lux line, however Princess does do a good job of trying to provide a subdued luxurious cruise without being snooty.

@jeromep - wow, what a thorough and fantastic reply, I can't thank you enough. You broke everything down so well, we have a much, much better understanding of what to expect now. Thank you! Our typical cruise beverage consumption runs along the lines of Coke Zero or diet soda for me a couple of times each day - usually with lunch & dinner and then water. My wife sticks with tea and bottled water on cruises (she says the regular water tastes funny, but I've never noticed that). We'll probably take your advice and avoid the top level package, it doesn't sound like the value will be there for us. Also, great point about the excursions. We always book in advance, but I didn't know if Premium Suites gave earlier access to book them. As for The Enclave - it sounds like we need to stick to our standard embarkation process and head directly to the spa once we're on board to take the tour, book access to the Enclave, and schedule our massages. It's all good!

@deise17311 - thanks for clarifying. I'm still learning what is available on the Regal Princess, your post was very helpful.

We're learning so much thanks to all of these fantastic responses. Y'all really know your stuff when it comes to Princess! Very impressive. Thank you!