First time on Carnival questions

I'm booked on a Pacific Islands cruise on Carnival Splendor, and would appreciate some help on a few questions about this cruise line:

1. What can I bring on board in the way of bottles of wine and water?

2. Does Splendor have Australian power plugs in rooms?

3. Can someone point me to a link to a wine list for cruises starting from Australia?  Can you buy wine by the bottle and take it back to your room?

4.  What is the cost of room service? 

5. Is there an extra charge for gratuities?

I know that the onboard charges are in AUD, and I've looked at YouTube to cushion myself against the shock of seeing the pink polka dot decor. Thanks for any help.

I'll start it off by saying you cannot take wine onboard.

1. You can bring up to 12, 600ml bottles of water/soft drink per passenger. What can I bring onboard

2. All staterooms are fitted with a standard Australian 3-point plug or adaptor providing 220/240 volt 60Hz. Adapters will be available for purchase if needed. Staterooms

3. ?

4. ?

5. No extra charge for gratuities when cruising from Australia, returning to Australia. Included in your fare. You can choose to give gratuities to any staff. They will love it. I usually give some to the cabin steward. Tipping

• Like 1

Agree, definitely not bottles of water or soft drink. Only cans allowed.

Yes, you can buy bottles of wine to take back to room. They'll give you an ice bucket for white wine. Prices start at $34 bottle and some okay ones at $39.

All room service items have a charge. Carnival splendor menus can be found by googling same for 2022.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and links.  Can you even buy water in cans or boxes?

Most of my questions answered, but I still can't find the cost of room service.  The official Carnival sites only say it is an additional cost, but not how much. Either it is so small that it's not worth mentioning, which would be good, or it is a rip off that they don't want to warn you about in advance?

On 2/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, cruiser3775 said:

I'm booked on a Pacific Islands cruise on Carnival Splendor, and would appreciate some help on a few questions about this cruise line:

1. What can I bring on board in the way of bottles of wine and water?

2. Does Splendor have Australian power plugs in rooms?

3. Can someone point me to a link to a wine list for cruises starting from Australia?  Can you buy wine by the bottle and take it back to your room?

4.  What is the cost of room service? 

5. Is there an extra charge for gratuities?

I know that the onboard charges are in AUD, and I've looked at YouTube to cushion myself against the shock of seeing the pink polka dot decor. Thanks for any help.

If you check out Carnival's website, Carnival.com, Frequently asked questions, you should get most of your questions answered.  Leaving from the U.S., each person is permitted to bring one 750 ml. bottle of wine, on board. Maybe it's different leaving from Oz? Happy cruising!

Thanks, urbanhawk. unfortunately, the rules are different when departing from Australian ports, and the FAQs are pitched at US residents.   I did read and research as much as I could before asking those questions.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks plettza, but the link doesn't work - it says:

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Can you cut and paste the original into here?

QRAUS_AT_WineList_1022_001.jpg

QRAUS_AT_WineList_1022_002.jpg

QRAUS_AT_WineList_1022_003.jpg

QRAUS_AT_WineList_1022_004.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks, urbanhawk. unfortunately, the rules are different when departing from Australian ports, and the FAQs are pitched at US residents.   I did read and research as much as I could before asking those questions.

That's good to know, as I am a U.S. resident, and have a cruise booked on Carnival's Luminosa, leaving Brisbane in April for a 22 day T.P.

Thanks plettza. It's a disappointing selection by the glass, and the mark ups are very high. Those De Bortoli Willowglen wines are the bottom of the heap. They sell for less than $A6 per bottle here. Not a good introduction to Australian wine for overseas visitors - you can get so much better wines.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Thanks plettza. It's a disappointing selection by the glass, and the mark ups are very high. Those De Bortoli Willowglen wines are the bottom of the heap. They sell for less than $A6 per bottle here. Not a good introduction to Australian wine for overseas visitors - you can get so much better wines.

Though I suspect that the passenger cohort of Carnival are generally not wine connoisseurs. Things may be changing a bit as the cheap fares are encouraging older cruisers to try out Carnival. I am in that boat (pardon the pun) as I am sailing with my adult son in July (so cheap we have individual cabins and he has a stack of OBC). It is a bit weird as I just came off Cunard and have a booking for Silversea later in the year, so definitely mixing it up!