POA Dining Package - Worth it?

Oregonhiker

Considering signing up for extra premium dining, but concerned we might not be able to get reservations as some venues are still closed I think. I called and couldn't get anything at an early time, but they said most of the tables are released after then cruise starts. Also said not to worry as we are in a penthouse. But I just didn't want to spend the money if the only time we could eat was past our bedtime.

If there were no early times, you waited too long and they were all sold out. Booking opened 130 days prior to departure.

You complain about reservations after your bed time, but you had total control. You had a 10-day head start over steerage and you didn’t take advantage. Then you waited longer until everything was sold out. 

You can get the concierge to book for you onboard. But if you wait too long there, even the concierge won’t be able to get a reservation. 

Book as soon as you embark. 

Account for going to a Luau for dinner on one of your two overnight port calls. Book those quickly. 

Edited by BirdTravels

4 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

Not helpful. Norwegians sister line Oceania sends you a notice when reservations are open for your cabin level. I had no idea bookings opened 130 days before. Hopemlady who told me 80% are held till after departure.

It is much much less than 80%. Pre pandemic, popular restaurants like Cagney’s have sold out for the entire cruise (including late night dining) by 1 pm. 

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Just a point of clarification.  Platinum folks in steerage also get a nice head start.😎🐀

Is there any value to this? The point is that if you complain that there is only late times, you did not book in a timely manner. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll answer my own question as am now on POA. It was worth it. As promised by NCL rep, reservations would be plentiful for suite passengers once on board. All requested times were available. Concierge did advise booking with rep available in Cagney’s for embarkation lunch.

and yes ship was sold out.

In other news, all venues are now open including Key West Grill. Staffing seems fine, service excellent and recent redo of interiors makes ship feel much newer and nicer than when aboard eight years ago. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

I’ll answer my own question as am now on POA. It was worth it. As promised by NCL rep, reservations would be plentiful for suite passengers once on board. All requested times were available. Concierge did advise booking with rep available in Cagney’s for embarkation lunch.

and yes ship was sold out.

In other news, all venues are now open including Key West Grill. Staffing seems fine, service excellent and recent redo of interiors makes ship feel much newer and nicer than when aboard eight years ago. 

Thanks very much for taking the time to come back and give us a first hand account. “Most” of us really appreciate it 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

Thanks for sharing that.  After several false starts, we deferred a planned return to POA until Feb 2024.  We wanted to wait until things returned to "normal" for an extended period of time, and it looks like we'll make it there.😎

On 2/13/2023 at 6:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

Is there any value to this?

Yes.  It's a reminder that it is possible to book steerage and still get preferred treatment wrt dining reservations.  An earlier post implied that us poor souls in steerage are always at the back of the line.🤣