TA's I have a travel Insurance question

Ok TA’s I have a question for you seeing you deal with travel on a daily basis. The question is Travel insurance. My wife, Son and I are booked on a Cruise in October. Here is where it gets sticky.

We are leaving on a Monday from Port Canaveral. We live in the panhandle BUT, My wife will be leaving on the Prior Friday flying to Colorado Springs for a convention. On Sunday my son and I will drive to Orlando where we will hopefully pick up my wife at the airport so we can get a room then go to the port on Monday.

Will travel insurance cover our whole family if something happens with my wife’s flight, and she can not get to Orlando? Thus ruining the cruise for all of us or will it only cover her portion of the trip?

As tempting as it may be for the two of us to go without her I still would have to deal with her when we get back? So that is not an option!:p

I guess what I want to know is if the insurance will cover all of us if one person can not make it.

Thanks for the help!

If you purchased the cruise line's insurance... it basically covers cancellation fees:

if you or immediate family member becomes ill or god forbid passes away and can't travel

If you get into a documented accident on the way to the cruise

If you get called to testify at trial or jury duty and can't get out of it

If your home becomes inhabitable due to a natural disaster (flood, tornado, fire, etc)

If you purchased the airfare through the cruise line, it would cover flight delay and catch up transportation to the ship... but not if you did not get their airfare. If you got your own airfare it is your responsibility to make the ship on time

Cruise insurance also covers you if you need to leave your cruise for the above reasons and also covers you medically onboard, but medical coverage is secondary to your primary healthcare if you have any.

I hope that is somewhat of help!

Thanks!:)

I am getting the insurance from a independent company not through Carnival but was not sure if one member of the family could not make it if the insurance would cover our trip or only my wifes.. I may have to ask the company

Thanks again!!!

Lonnie

I am NOT a TA, but I just filed a medical claim with the travel insurance company I had. They were very prompt on sending forms and helpful with questions but the one thing that I thought was crazy, I had to show proof of payment for my trip (I was on it :o DUH). I had paid for it almost a year ago and with all you hear about identity theft, after a couple months we shredded receipts. Paid invoice from TA was NOT acceptable. Thank goodness I had paid with a check and my bank was able to send me a copy of cancelled check. I also had to show proof of everyone's age that was on policy. Just a heads up save all information until after the trip. My injury was minor but the medical bill on the ship was as much as the cost of the insurance.

The answer is yes, if you get the right insurance and have it dated accordingly. Example: instead of say: start date: 4/6 it would be 4/3 to protect against travel problems from Colo to Florida. My advise is to not use the cruiseline insurance in this case, but to either talk this over with your TA or go on line and buy insurance that way. I hope I haven't confused you. NMNita

I hope I haven't confused you. NMNita

Not at all!!!! This makes perfect sense!!!:D I will find a way to the port come hell or high water and going during hurricane season it could be either or both but if the airline will not fly in if a storm is coming it would cause serious problems!!

Thanks again so much for your help!!

Lonnie

I am NOT a TA, but I just filed a medical claim with the travel insurance company I had. They were very prompt on sending forms and helpful with questions but the one thing that I thought was crazy, I had to show proof of payment for my trip (I was on it :o DUH). I had paid for it almost a year ago and with all you hear about identity theft, after a couple months we shredded receipts. Paid invoice from TA was NOT acceptable. Thank goodness I had paid with a check and my bank was able to send me a copy of cancelled check. I also had to show proof of everyone's age that was on policy. Just a heads up save all information until after the trip. My injury was minor but the medical bill on the ship was as much as the cost of the insurance.

What if you paid with a credit card. What would be acceptable for this? If you booked directly with the cruiseline but didn't use their insurance (found mine own) would the receipt from the cruiseline be good enough?

Short answer: If a traveling companion has to cancel the trip for a covered reason you can also cancel under almost every policy.

The kicker is: would the situation you describe be a covered reason under the policy? The only way to find that out is to read the plan's description of coverage or -- probably easiest -- call the plan administrator and ask.

However, be aware that having a flight delay that causes you to miss the ship normally isn't enough to invoke the trip cancellation coverage -- you would be required to catch up with the ship and a trip interruption and/or trip delay claim would be made for additional expenses, etc. Normally a trip delay only becomes a trip cancellation if you lose 50% or more of your trip.

And, depending on the plan the amount of delay can have a bearing. For example, with Access America for a delay to become a trip interruption the delay has to be for 24 hours or more.

So, I'd be willing to bet that in your case, since the actual airline delay that would effect your wife would not disrupt your travel plans that you might not be covered -- you'd have to get on the ship and wait for her to join you. But call the plan and find out for sure.

Archived