Princess Cruise Tour out of Sydney - Wildlife retreat stay

potchak

Hello, My husband and I are taking the Royal princess out of Sydney on a cruise tour, and thought we would come in a day early to check out the Taronga zoo. Heard they have the Wildlife retreat there, and thought we would stay there. What is the easiest way with luggage to get there from the airport and then back to the port? Our cruise tour includes a transfer from the airport to the port, but not sure that makes sense since we would have to go right by the port in order to get back to the airport. I was thinking Uber/Taxi to Taronga/Wildlife retreat, then a Uber/Taxi to the port the next day. Does this make more sense then going all the way back to the airport to catch our transfer? Thanks! 

58 minutes ago, potchak said:

Hello, My husband and I are taking the Royal princess out of Sydney on a cruise tour, and thought we would come in a day early to check out the Taronga zoo. Heard they have the Wildlife retreat there, and thought we would stay there. What is the easiest way with luggage to get there from the airport and then back to the port? Our cruise tour includes a transfer from the airport to the port, but not sure that makes sense since we would have to go right by the port in order to get back to the airport. I was thinking Uber/Taxi to Taronga/Wildlife retreat, then a Uber/Taxi to the port the next day. Does this make more sense then going all the way back to the airport to catch our transfer? Thanks! 

Probably best to catch cab or uber from the airport and then the ferry to your cruise port. 
https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/wildlife-retreat/about#gettingtothewildliferetreat

Hello. An alternative would be to stay two or three nights at a hotel in The Rocks area of Sydney. It's walking distance to the Overseas Passenger Terminal. You could get an airport shuttle bus to the hotel and then you won't have to drag your luggage onto the ferry. You can then spend a day at Taronga Zoo by getting a ferry from nearby Circular Quay and on the zoo side you can hop on a quick bus ride to the zoo entrance at the top of the hill. Then make your way down the hill to the exit close to the ferry wharf. There's another zoo at Darling Harbour called Wild Life Sydney Zoo it's also a ferry ride from Circular Quay. Last time I went to Taronga Zoo, a few years ago it was disappointing as there was a lot of construction happening. I would definitely check out some recent reviews before heading there. Happy travels!

I hear generally good reports about "snore and roar", the overnight experience at Taronga zoo. Given the high price, we havent done this ourselves. Living in Sydney, it seems a bit pointless. 

As for construction work, there is always some minor repair happening here and there, but no major works at the moment. 

I really dislike the "zoo" at Darling Harbour. Its depressing. (The aquarium is pretty good though).

Given that you will probably have a fair amount of luggage,  the easiest way is definitely a taxi from the airport to the zoo. (Confirm when your checkin time for the hotel would be. But you can drop the bags and explore the zoo).

Depending where your ship will depart from, there are different options. White bay: taxi.

Circular Quay (overseas cruise terminal): Ferry from Taronga wharf to pretty much the boarding area.

Bus 100 from Taronga zoo main gate to Wynyard station (the last stop) and a 5- minute taxi ride from there or 15minutes level walk.

(Taxi or Uber wherever i say 'taxi')

5 hours ago, potchak said:

We have done the Wildlife Retreat at Taronga Zoo and it was very good! We haven’t done the roar and snore though.

I think with luggage your plan for Uber/Taxi is the best option in both directions.

With  the Wildlife Retreat you can’t check in before a certain time, but the price includes entry to the Zoo.They will certainly store your bags, while you explore the Zoo and if a little tired, you can also relax in one of their lounges and enjoy the view with a drink.

You have come all this way, so make it as easy as possible for yourselves.

Certainly recommend the Wildlife Retreat though.

• Like 1

I've stayed at the Wildlife Retreat twice (October 2021 & again in October 2022, 2nd time for my brother-in-law's birthday).  Thoroughly enjoyed it both times.  On the 1st occasion we had a Harbour View Room and the 2nd the Animal Sanctuary.  The Harbour View room was better in my opinion.  Views of the Harbour Bridge & Opera House from the lounge & bed as well as a koala in a tree directly in front of our room, plus we could look down from our balcony into the animal sanctuary.  With the Animal Sanctuary room we didn't have much of a view - our particular room was tucked away in a corner and although there was a tree with a koala in it the koala was on the other side (luckily for my sister & her husband on their side so they got a good view).  Also being vertically challenged I couldn't see over the fence into the animal sanctuary.  I agree with previous responses as the easiest way to get there is by taxi/uber.  I can confirm (as this is what I did on both occasions) that if you are staying in the Wildlife Retreat you can check into the hotel as early as 9.00 am (when the zoo opens), the concierge will mind your luggage until the 2.00 pm check in time (or earlier) if your room is ready.  You are then free to have drinks in the N'Gurra lounge enjoying the harbour views or walk around the zoo (the koala exhibit in the zoo gets you up close to the koalas).  We booked the Ultimate Retreat package both times which included A three course dinner at Me-Gal and buffet breakfast.  With the package you can also choose to walk around the zoo on the day of checkout and visit any exhibits you hadn't seen the day before, again the concierge will mind your luggage after the 10.00 am checkout so you can continue wandering the zoo.  See attached link for details on the Wildlife Retreat - https://taronga.org.au/sydney-zoo/wildlife-retreat

I haven't been to Roar & Snore but I do know that their policy is even if it rains it will go ahead.  Although I used to go camping (and Roar & Snore is considered "glamping"), I've now reached an age I prefer comfort.

• Like 1