Cannes as embarkation port

carlmm

On 2/14/2023 at 4:42 AM, carlmm said:

How does embarkation work at Cannes?

I only know Cannes as tender port when it was a stop during a cruise.

It does not work well :).  It is a tender port (for all cruise ships) but a very few lines (such as MSC) have been known to use it as an embarkation port.  When this happens, there will be staff at the tender pier area to take luggage (which also must be tendered out to the ship).  

Hank

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

It does not work well :).  It is a tender port (for all cruise ships) but a very few lines (such as MSC) have been known to use it as an embarkation port.  When this happens, there will be staff at the tender pier area to take luggage (which also must be tendered out to the ship).  

Hank

Thank you, Hank.

Does that mean, check in will be on the tender pier? I cannot picture the process there.

15 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Thank you, Hank.

Does that mean, check in will be on the tender pier? I cannot picture the process there.

Have never embarked from that port, so I would be guessing.  But there would certainly be some kind of security/ID check before they would let anyone tender out to the ship.  In over 50 years of extensive cruising, we have never tendered at embarkation.  One wonders what happens if there is bad weather on an embarkation day and tendering is difficult to impossible.  But that is just my "Plan B" nature as an independent traveler.  A quick data base check shows that only MSC and Star Clippers use Cannes as an embarkation port.