Spirit class vs. Conquest class

serene sea

I prefer the ease of the spirit class ships compared to the just a little bit of confusion on the conquest class. however they are both different and wonderful.

I believe the children's programs are the same or at least they seemed to be, but as I have no children I dont really know for sure.

<font SIZE="1">Click here for my Cruise Pics</font>

<font SIZE="1">***PROUD MEMBER O.A.T.C.***</font>

royalsmallwide.gif

saintsinners.gif

Miracle.gif

hounds3.gif

valorvampires.gif

<font SIZE="1">Opinions expressed by the poster are not necessarily the opinions of Cruise Critic or the Independent Traveler.

They might not even be the opinion of the poster, being he may be out of his mind at the time</font>

Atom.gif

Spirit class seems more elegant to me, better layout, easier to navigate, nicer "flow", and better size. I liked the restaurant better, and I cannot STAND the lido deck area on the Conquest class, so much so that I probably won't sail another Conquest class again. For a ship that size, I felt very closed in.

Spirit class remains my favorite, and I can't wait to sail on the Miracle!

Formerly known as "Doulasue"

Suep366394@aol.com

woodstock-28.gif

NEXT UP~MARINER, Sept 19th

MIRACLE~FEB 13,2005!

royalsmallwide.gif

Miracle.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/upstatedon OUR CRUISE PICS!

Agree with the above. There are too many people on the Conquest class. Not a very well designed ship. The Spirit class ships are the best Carnival have.

Next: Coral Princess 6/04 Dawn Princess 10/04

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman1

Coral Princess 4/04, (Canal-FLL-VAN), Conquest 12/03 -New Years, Norwegian Sky b2b 12/03, Carnival Pride 06/03, Star Princess 03/03, Norwegian Star 07/02,Voyager of the Seas 06/01, Ecstasy 12/00, Exporer of the Seas 11/00, Zaandam 08/00, Destiny 04/00, Nordic Empress 08/99, Rhapsody of the Seas 04/98, Sensation 12/96, Legend of the Seas 8/96, Imagination 8/95, Jubilee 3/92, Sovereign of the Seas 10/88

For those of you that prefer the Spirit class to the Conquest class - have you ever sailed on a Destiny class ship? If so, did you think the lido deck layout on the Conquest class was any better or worse than on the Destiny class?

I have sailed on the Destiny class twice and the Spirit class once. I am planning on sailing on the Valor next year, which is a Conquest class and wonder if there are any noticable differences between the Destiny and Conquest classes, other than the size difference.

Debbie smiley-faces64.gif

email_sm.gif

Click here for the 10/22/04 Legend CTN roll call!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;22;15;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Triumph (Eastern) 05/00

Destiny (Southern) 04/02

Miracle (Bahamas) 05/04

Legend (Nowhere) 10/04

I thought a Destiny was a conquest class, so there are 3 different classes? Please correct me but the newer ships Glory and Valor are conquest and Miracle for the Spirit, right? What is the newest destiny class?

The Spirit class ship is simply the best class of ship afloat in Carnival's fleet. The design is such that it never feels crowded. That is probably because it carries approximately 800 less passengers than the Conquest and Destiny class ships and isn't at all that much smaller. We came back from the Legend recently and it was our favorite ship thus far besides the Paradise. We like the design so much that we will be sailing the Miracle next.

carnival.jpg

Tony

2004 Legend March 28th

2003 Paradise

2002 Paradise

2000 Destiny

1999 Fascination

1998 Fantasy

The Destiny class, Triumph class, and Conquest class are basically all versions of the same design. Triumph has one more forward deck than Destiny and Conquest class is basically a stretched Triumph class ship.

Destiny Class - Carnival Destiny

Triumph Class - Carnival Triumph and Carnival Victory

Conquest Class - Carnival Conquest, Carnival Glory, Carnival Valor, and Carnival Liberty

Sovereign of the Seas (11/89)

Monarch of the Seas (8/99)

Norwegian Sea (7/02)

Carnival Glory (4/17/04)

My main objection to the Conquest class is that it's completely closed in--you can't get to the water at all. The Spirit class at least has an open back, altho they don't have the chairs like the Fantasy class does (they have loungers, so it's difficult to just sit & watch the water). We were surprised at how "plain" the Conquest was inside--Carnival is definitely toning down the gaudy image. However, both classes have all the food options on the Lido deck, excellent service, etc. Both classes also have nice large kids areas, altho I couldn't tell you the type of activities (don't have any kids). We cruised with my nephews, aged 13, 14, 15, on a Fantasy class last year. They loved the activities for that age range so much that we literally never saw them except when forcibly dragged to dinner! I would assume activities on the other class ships are similar, or even better, since Carnival has really put some serious effort into creating nifty kids areas (got a sneak preview of the Pride's kids area before she ever sailed, & man, I wanted to be able to play with the stuff!).

Personal preference, though, is still for the Fantasy class. A bit smaller, & that wonderful open fantail on the Lido deck.

Ecstasy--12/97

Fascination--9/98

Triumph--10/99

Sensation--4/00

Triumph--11/00

Imagination--4/01

Spirit--11/01

Imagination--4/02

Spirit--11/02

Imagination--5/03

Glory--11/03

Fascination--5/04

I agree with everything that Sue said in her post. More than likely I will pass on another trip on a Destiny/Conquest class ship. Did not care for the Glory last year and a return to the Triumph this year kind of sealed that decision.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

My first cruise ever was on the Conquest. We had a 9A cabin & it was very difficult to just walk the length of the ship. Really confusing.

Our second cruise was on the Legend out of Fort Lauderdale. Wow, the difference was like night and day. Can't say enough good things about the ship. In fact we loved it so much, we booked the same trip again for the end of this December. Same ship, cabin, itinerary etc.

Also, we'll be going on the Spirit this August in Alaska.

I also feel that I may never go on the Conquest class again. I really loved the Legend for it's open feeling and the ship "really" flies.

Joan.............

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndrewTH:

Those on spirit class, what has been your experience with those 5a (french door) obstructed balconies. Worth a little more $ than a regular window?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AndrewTH,

I just complete the Mexican Riviera on the PRIDE a few weeks ago, and I was upgraded from a 1A to a 5A. For someone that is used to a 1A or 4A this was definitely nice. Even though there are lifeboats in the way (I could actually see between them), the ability to open up both doors and listen to the sea at night while being lulled to sleep. I don't know the difference in price so I can't really comment on whether or not it is a good idea to pay the extra. But floor to ceiling doors that allow all the sunlight and small view of the sea is worth considerable to me even though in my case, this time, it was FREE. icon_biggrin.gif

I cruised both the Conquest-class (GlORY) and now the Spirit-class (PRIDE) and without a doubt I prefer the layout of the PRIDE more. Especially the aft Lido deck being open to the sea, as opposed to enclosed as on the GLORY.

The foot traffic on the PRIDE just seemed to flow so much more easier than the GLORY also. Even after the GLORY my favorite Carnival class was the FAntasy-class, but now, without a doubt, its the Spirit-class. Just a great ship without the huge crowds everywhere as on the GLORY.

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

So you do have a balcony with the 5a you can walk out on?

Wife and I went on Mariner OTS and enjoyed our balcony, but I like to save a few bucks this time. I am considering Glory/Valor-western, Miracle-western, or Carnival Legend (8 day)-Panama, RCI Radiance-western,Star Princess-western all in Jan.

We are also looking at a New England cruise in Oct on C. Victory or Western on HAL Zuid instead.

The category 5A's on the Spirit class do not have a balcony. They have doors that open up with a obstructed view of the life boats. To me it would be better than an inside or regular outside due to the fact that you can get some fresh air.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Gordon reminded me that the aft lido pool/bar area on the Legend was my absolute favorite public area on any ship that I've ever been on. That was the nicest place to sit at night, completely open, but part of the area is covered, near the bar. It's hard to describe, but it's just the perfect cruising environment.

In contrast, on the Glory, we had a "party" at the aft lido pool area, and most of us were feeling closed in, overheated, etc...

No comparison between the two.

Formerly known as "Doulasue"

Suep366394@aol.com

woodstock-28.gif

NEXT UP~MARINER, Sept 19th

MIRACLE~FEB 13,2005!

royalsmallwide.gif

Miracle.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/upstatedon OUR CRUISE PICS!

ok guys, now i am concerned, we saled on the pride last month and have a cruse booked on the valor next year. does anybody think i am going to be dissapointed with the bigger ship?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tcsmithh:

ok guys, now i am concerned, we saled on the pride last month and have a cruse booked on the valor next year. does anybody think i am going to be dissapointed with the bigger ship?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, especially up on the LIDO deck. Both pool areas are dissapointing.

peter.gif

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miracle 7/10/04 NY to Bahamas and Port Canaveral

Disney Wonder 3/04/04

Pride 7/16/03 Bermuda

Legend 10/17/02 CTN

Disney Wonder 9/15/02

Destiny 4/29/01 Southern Caribbean

Victory 9/14/00 Canadian Maritimes

Triumph 9/99 Canadian Maritimes