Solo - Car Rental for Yunque?

Hydro ergo

Hi Cruisers!

I'm travelling solo on a Virgin cruise at the end of March.  I really want to see El Yunque, but I'm not having much luck with the tours that I have found. We are in port from 12-10pm and I'm wondering about just renting a car and going on my own.  I've read mixed things about driving in San Juan and the ease/cost/safety of obtaining a rental.  I'm a regular traveler, used to being solo, but that said, I always want to make informed decisions.  Any insights would be most appreciated.

Thank you all!

Toni

Driving in PR is as safe as any major city in the U.S. - so yes, it can get a little crazy at times, but no worse than L.A. or Miami or D.C.  Once you get out of San Juan it's easy.  If you get onto any secondary roads, they can have some potholes, if you stay on the main roads, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's an easy drive out to El Yunque, maybe an hour and 20 minutes.  Mid day, the traffic should not be bad and coming back most people will be leaving San Juan.  Leaving at 10:00 pm should give you more than enough cushion.

I only rented from the Airport, so I can't help you there.

It's easily doable, if you can rent a car.  Good Luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You have to have a pass from the the forest service in order to be able to park at the main entrance to El Yunque. I have been trying to obtain one. It has not been possible. I was able to get one a year ago but never went. I understand they sell out instantly. You can still enter some parts of El Yunque from another side. However, that is far from the major trails such as El Yunque trail or the Tower Trail.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2023 at 4:11 AM, unclegrandpa said:

You have to have a pass from the the forest service in order to be able to park at the main entrance to El Yunque. I have been trying to obtain one. It has not been possible. I was able to get one a year ago but never went. I understand they sell out instantly. You can still enter some parts of El Yunque from another side. However, that is far from the major trails such as El Yunque trail or the Tower Trail.

Can you tell me where to look for this car parking pass? Thx