Westin Bayshore Hotel, Vancouver

gottagoacruzn

Hi guys, been thinkin bout stayin at the Westin Bayshore a couple of days before the cruise to Alaska, an am wonderin if anybody has stayed there before, an how far is it from Canada place & the steam clock, an can you post some pictures, an is the place near the water? Before I forget, thanks.

The Bayshore is on the water.

You can see the cruise port from the hotel - it is an easy walk along a dedicated path from Canada Place to the Bayshore. It is under a mile to walk. The steam clock is the other way from your hotel - it is about five blocks from the Canada Place and once again is easily walked.

I haven't stayed there as I am a local.

I will go through my photos and see what I can find for you.

Another local MartinCath will likely be around later with his thoughts

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Best idea for photos is also the best idea for checking out your route - Google Maps! Stick in Westin Bayshore Hotel and Canada Place Pier, select Walking, then you can literally do a virtual walk of the route at street level, pan around to look at the hotel itself etc. I've manually dragged the route on this map so it follows the Seawall the whole way - run your own search and it'll use a shortcut or two that saves a few hundred yards.

Loads of people have photos posted on Tripadvisor etc. too.

Location is ideal for Stanley Park and Denman Street (lots of dining) which leads you down to English Bay (palm trees, beaches, although the Westin also has a tropical vibe - they used to have a Tiki Hut resto and the whole landscaping concept remains 'what 1950s Americans think tropical islands are like'!)

If you're going to walk around to sightsee and want to see more of downtown than the park, it's the worst located good hotel... but the difference between it and a nice hotel down at the east end where walking into Yaletown, Gastown, Chinatown is most convenient is barely a mile-and-a-half. I always say that ANY downtown hotel is convenient - which is most convenient depends where you're going to spend most of your time, but the differences really are marginal. Cab fare from the Westin to Chinatown might be $15 with traffic for example, but if you're happy to use public transit you can walk a block, hop on the 19 bus, and get driven right through the core, Gastown, Chinatown, and up into Mount Pleasant for less than US$2.50.

On 2/16/2023 at 9:30 PM, Urban trekker said:

The Bayshore is on the water.

You can see the cruise port from the hotel - it is an easy walk along a dedicated path from Canada Place to the Bayshore. It is under a mile to walk. The steam clock is the other way from your hotel - it is about five blocks from the Canada Place and once again is easily walked.

I haven't stayed there as I am a local.

I will go through my photos and see what I can find for you.

Another local MartinCath will likely be around later with his thoughts

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Hey urban trekker, find you're pictures yet? Inquiring minds would like to know!!

I stay at Westin Bayshore several times.  I cab it to Westin due to not wanting drag my bags.  That was about $6 Canadian dollars and most cabs take credit cards too.  Yes, it right next to the water.  Don't know when you will be there.  But in May the Tulips are in bloom at Stanley Park.  If I don't dine at hotel I usually go to Cardero's.  The is about 100 feet away and it has both inside dining and outside dining.  I done the hop on and hop off which is fun.  I had afternoon tea at Fish house in Stanley Park.  Oh you can rent bikes to go around Stanley Park.There is a part of Chinatown to stay out of.  So ask the hotel which part that is.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just stayed two nights in the Westin Bayshore prior to my 6-Day Alaska cruise with Celebrity Edge, and I am very happy that I chose this hotel. 

Yes the Pan Pacific and Fairmont are literally in front of the Cruise Terminal, but in my opinion the location is too hectic.

The Westin Bayshore is a 20 minute walk away from the terminal, but I strongly recommend to take a taxi if you have bagage, since it's a kind of uphill walk. My Uber was 9 CAD.

I also advice you to take a room with Marina + City view so you can enjoy the waterplanes taking-off and land AND you have first row view to the cruise ships. Try to take floor 3 or higher, because if you are on the lower floors, the trees might block your view in spring/summer.

If you have 'just' a Marina View room, you will end up at the other side of the building, facing Lions Gate bridge, the second marina and Stanley Park. 

If you want the seaplanes and cruiseships, make sure you take Marina + City View rooms.

My stay was amazing, I was lucky with the weather and even spent a few hours in the outside pool (10 May).

Bike are available free of charge for 2 hours, every additional hour costs 25 CAD + taxes. For my the 2 hours were enough to ride around Stanley Park, and downtown YVR. I went al the way to Rogers Ice Hockey Arena, Gastown and China Town. Basically a full loop of downtown YVR. 

Next to the hotel there is bike rental shop for longer e-bike and normal bike rentals. If you just want to commute within the city, you can also download the Mobi Bike App, this is a Pay-As-You-Go bike rental, with about 20 bikes parked in front of the Westin. Both normal bikes and e-bikes.

There are tons of drop-off/pick-up locations in the city. The minimum charge per rental is 3 CAD, it starts with 1 CAD (normal bike) or 2 CAD (e-bike) + a charge per minute of about 0,50 CAD per minute. For my two trips to and from Chinatown in the evening I paid 11 CAD and 12 CAD. Similar to an Uber, but I liked to ride through town. 🙂