White Pass Rail and tour

Australian family

Based on the descriptions provided, this is my take on the two tours. Both travel round-trip between Skagway, Alaska, and Carcross, Yukon. The first travels by railroad for the entire distance between Skagway and Carcoss in one direction, and by bus in the opposite direction. The second travels be railroad for one-half the distance between Skagway and Carcross (i.e., as far as Fraser), by bus for the remainder of the distance between Skagway and Carcross, and by bus for the entire distance in the opposite direction. Also, the first includes a cold box lunch served by the railroad on board the train, while the second includes a hot BBQ chicken lunch at a tourist trap near Carcross. If you're a railroad enthusiast, then the first option is better, as it includes all of the railroad presently open. If you prefer having more bus travel instead, then choose the second option. If the included lunch being hot is important, then the second option might be the better option.

I'm assuming that the train itself has some draw factor for you - otherwise the 'bus both ways' Chilkoot tour would also be on your list - so I agree with GTJ that you need to consider how much you want the extra time on the rails. Since your handle includes 'family' - any actual kids, or all grown-ups?

Puppy time might be big draw, and that only applies to the cheaper Hot Lunch version at the trading post stop (incidentally, the hot lunch is surprisingly good for a 'zero other options, could gouge you easily!' dining option - I actually thanked the cooks on the way out as the chicken was top-notch); the wildlife 'museum' will only entertain the youngest and most naive of patrons for more than a few minutes (it's a room with some taxidermy, and I literally know people with more stuffed critters in their homes than were on display!); the RCMP museum is similarly tiny; and of course the younger the kids, likely the less tolerance they have for sitting on hard wooden train seats with no stops anywhere except as noted in the description. Especially if your seats are on the right going up/left down, as you're right against the cliffside rather than seeing across the valley from the train; the outside viewing areas on the train get claimed quickly!

• Like 1

we've been to alaska twice and have done both of these.  id do the yukon rail/bus if i were you.  also, do teh train there bus home.  you'll want to doze off on the bus ride back. 

both times, chilkoot had us in the caboose of the train which was AWESOME.  you can step outside and get great photos.

• 2 weeks later...

So disappointed that we leave Skagway at 5 pm and won't have a chance to take advantage of these tours. Guess we will need to take the ship's tour to make sure we are back in time unless anyone has any other options?

21 hours ago, triplemom3 said:

So disappointed that we leave Skagway at 5 pm and won't have a chance to take advantage of these tours. Guess we will need to take the ship's tour to make sure we are back in time unless anyone has any other options?

If the ship is only offering short tours like the Summit rail, a valid concern... but if the ship is offering a tour to the same place, book Chilkoot instead - there's literally one road and one railway, if something goes pear-shaped it impacts everyone on that mode of transport and all the local providers pitch in to help out Last time we were there the train literally burst into flames en route - while we couldn't help those folks stranded on the railway, all the folks who had done 'bus first' and were waiting for the train to arrive to take them back down the hill we could help... our driver waited almost an hour before sat phone confirmation came through about the train being kaput, then loaded up every seat with pax who had booked the train and brought them all down the Skagway by road, as did several other buses.

You have no extra risk whatsoever here with a ship vs. indy tour - the exact same guarantee is offered by the good local providers like Chilkoot (get you to next port). No ship tour anywhere ever guarantees the ship will wait for you, only to get you to where you need to be by whatever means - the same as the good indy companies...

• Like 2