Belfast car rental from cruise terminal

gobux

We would like to rent a car for the day in Belfast.  Has anyone taken the bus from the port to the city airport to pick up a car?  Have you had any problems doing this?  Any issues with driving around Belfast?  Trying to decide if this is a good idea.  We are on Princess.  Thanks!

Despite being right behind the runway, I’m not aware of any direct bus from the port to the airport. It would be easiest to get a cab.

Alternatively, SIXT car rental apparently have a location right at the port.

If you’re planning to stay within Belfast city I wouldn’t bother with a car. There’s a HOHO bus that’ll take you round all the main points of interest. And while the city centre is perfectly safe and walkable, bearing in mind Belfast’s troubled recent history it’s quite easy to unwittingly drive into nearby areas that it probably wouldn’t be advisable to visit alone.

A car might be useful if you plan to explore outside the city though, like the Giants Causeway.

15 hours ago, gobux said:

Thank you for the response.  Have you used SIXT car rental?  I have seen some poor reviews. 

I haven’t, no. But they’re the only rental company with a location right at the port.

Otherwise your only option really is a cab to the airport as buses would take at least an hour each way and involve changing in the city centre (even though it’s about half a mile as the crow flies!).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gobux, please let us know how you fare with the car rental as we too hope to do the exact thing in August to see the Giant's Causeway. From what I have read you should heavily insure the car. Accept all the fees for excess as it is called in Ireland. So if the rental rate is 100pounds  for the day, also add the fee that allows you to return the car with damage, hopefully, not but that will be another 20 to 35 bucks added on. Also seems gps is also another charge.  The insurance we have in Canada does not carry forward to Ireland or Scotland for us. Not sure about you. Also they drive on other side of road but most of the drive to causeway is highway anyhow. Years ago when we were much younger we would rent in England and drive no issue but our reaction times are a bit slower now. So we are hesistant about driving in foreign countries now on the opposite side. We only want to see causeway not Belfast and seems all tours throw in some other jazz like shopping or distilleries that have no interest to us. So Belfast is a problem port for us and not interested in paying exorbitant fees of Titanic museum when i can watch documentary instead. Love to hear how your car rental goes. Causeway appears to be about 1.5 hours from City Airport. And you can stop at a few other spots at your leisure as well. Again, I hate bus tours waiting for everyone to crawl back on board and the stragglers who hit the bathroom at the last moment and then cut into our precious time at the various future spots. Car rental is the way for us usually but my only caveat is be aware of opting in for the extra insurance coverage excess it is called  that is beneficial should you get a bump or two and di not want to pay any deductible at all. Also we only rent with the big outfits the international names we all recognize not go jo cars.  My thoughts Cheers

6 hours ago, pink845 said:

Gobux, please let us know how you fare with the car rental as we too hope to do the exact thing in August to see the Giant's Causeway. From what I have read you should heavily insure the car. Accept all the fees for excess as it is called in Ireland. So if the rental rate is 100pounds  for the day, also add the fee that allows you to return the car with damage, hopefully, not but that will be another 20 to 35 bucks added on. Also seems gps is also another charge.  The insurance we have in Canada does not carry forward to Ireland or Scotland for us. Not sure about you. Also they drive on other side of road but most of the drive to causeway is highway anyhow. Years ago when we were much younger we would rent in England and drive no issue but our reaction times are a bit slower now. So we are hesistant about driving in foreign countries now on the opposite side. We only want to see causeway not Belfast and seems all tours throw in some other jazz like shopping or distilleries that have no interest to us. So Belfast is a problem port for us and not interested in paying exorbitant fees of Titanic museum when i can watch documentary instead. Love to hear how your car rental goes. Causeway appears to be about 1.5 hours from City Airport. And you can stop at a few other spots at your leisure as well. Again, I hate bus tours waiting for everyone to crawl back on board and the stragglers who hit the bathroom at the last moment and then cut into our precious time at the various future spots. Car rental is the way for us usually but my only caveat is be aware of opting in for the extra insurance coverage excess it is called  that is beneficial should you get a bump or two and di not want to pay any deductible at all. Also we only rent with the big outfits the international names we all recognize not go jo cars.  My thoughts Cheers

On 3/5/2023 at 9:25 AM, pink845 said:

We only want to see causeway not Belfast and seems all tours throw in some other jazz like shopping or distilleries that have no interest to us. So Belfast is a problem port for us and not interested in paying exorbitant fees of Titanic museum when i can watch documentary instead.

Hello. Perhaps you can hire a private guide to take you there, maybe share the cost with another couple. Have you had much success on your Roll Call?

I wanted to mention the Titanic Museum is really so much more than a tv documentary. It presents a lot of historical information about Belfast economy, demographics, and the shipping industry, how the ship was built and the White Star Line,  with immersive exhibits. It was quite fascinating.