Roll Call: Caribbean Princess 9/9/06

CruisinMaterial

Hey Jake,

Great review of the CB. Sounds like you had a great trip. Sorry to hear about your knee. I am still on crutches thanks to my trip to Cedar Point but am hopeful that I will be rid of them in time to sail on the Star Princess next month. I can't wait to get away for a while. I totally love Skywalkers and hope to be able to dance some and not have to stay on the sidelines.

Let me know if you decide to do the RSVP sailing on the CB and need someone to room with. I have a few friends going on it but none of them are single. Would love to go but am weary of getting assigned a roommate. I have done this before on both Atlantis and RSVP and had great results but have heard enough horror stories to totally freak me out.

Rob

Hey Rob,

I'm trying to avoid booking on a charter at the moment. I will do that as an extreme last resort. I am NOT loaded and the price they want for a balcony on RSVP is outlandish. I don't like RCCL and that's who Atlantis primarily books. I like Princess and that's why I was eyeballing the Caribbean Princess sailing.

Right now I'm investigating some other sailings on that ship during the months of January and February. There's some dirt cheap fares if I book and go by myself, it's still cheaper by $500 than going alone on a gay cruise AND I'd have to share a room with someone.

I'll keep you posted. Do you know if RSVP drops the prices if the ship isn't selling?

~Jake

Hey Jake,

RSVP will drop the rates a little if the ship is not selling out. I have got several offers in the mail for their Mexican sailing later this month but nothing all that great (ie saving $50 or getting a 1 cat. upgrade). They have chartered the Diamond Princess for that and was on their website earlier looking at their entertainment lineup and can't say I was all that impressed. I like going to the main show after dinner before heading out to party and many of the shows they had onboard the Westerdam were pretty pathetic to the point I walked out of a couple of them. Will agree that their rates are quite out of line. Checked out the rates for the CB online tonight and the rates for Jan and Feb are really good. May have to try that myself. After Christmas and New Year's I am ok for a few weeks but by the end of Jan. or beginning of Feb. I hit the wall where I've had more than enough of winter and like to escape to the tropics. If I can get my own room and save $500 of RSVP rates I'm all over that.

Went to the doctor's today and looks like I'll still be on crutches on the Star. They found a hairline fracture on one of the bones in my foot they missed the first time around. Groan. Honestly, how bad was it to get around? I've just about had it with these stupid crutches.

Rob

Hey Jeff,

One never knows, you could utilize a wheelchair onboard. The maitre d' offered me a wheelchair to get me around the ship better since the first day out he thought I had a serious problem walking. I thanked him for the offer though but declined. Maybe you can get one and whip up and down the hallways with it.

As for RSVP fares, they're outlandish. I don't know if that has something to do with the fact that they were acquired by another company recently and think us gay folks need to pay for that acquisition or what but they are out of there mind if they think I'm paying per person what they're charging. I don't mind being on a boatload of gay folks but not for that price. Princess always gives me a much better price than what we see online and that's what I've gotten. A whole cabin to myself is much better and being on a hetero cruise than spending all that and then having an onboard account. My whole trip by myself wouldn't cost as much as the per person rate for the room and i have to share it! NOT HAPPENING! :cool:

I haven't booked anything, the two things I had on reserve at Princess were given back last night. I need to wait until Monday to see what my friend is up to with February and possibly later. It depends on what I want to do and whether he can get the time off at this point. We'll have to wait and see.

Back to work I go!

~Jake

Hey Jake,

Hopefully I won't need a wheelchair but will keep that in mind if need be. I am getting used to using crutches even though I absolutely hate them. Did pretty well getting around Boston tonight on them when I went in to see a musical.

Got upgraded today on the Star so was happy with that. Still thinking about whether or not we should upgrade further and go for a balcony. Right now we have an oceanview on the Plaza Deck. Very convenient location for everything but Skywalkers.

Question for you. Does Princess still offer those certificates that if you put $100 down you get both a reduced deposit and onboard credit on your next sailing. If so I may wait until we are on the Star to book the CP. Thinking seriously about the 2/4 sailing.

Rob

Hey Rob,

Princess still does offer the onboard booking discount of $100 deposit and the future onboard credit, which depends on the type of cabin that you book. I have done that with the past two Princess Cruises and I was stunned I didn't know anything about it before. I can put down my deposit at any time. However, if the other person sailing with you doesn't have a deposit like that then they have to come up with their $250 of the $500 deposit. I didn't know that you could put more than one deposit down at time. I wish I had thought of that!

Plaza Deck is pretty much the center of the action, except the nightclub action. It'll take you forever to get upstairs from that location in the ship. I should know, it took me forever to walk the whole length of the ship! :(

I won't know what I'm doing with the CP until next Monday at the very earliest. I'm hoping for something in February now but I don't know. We'll see.

Gotta get going!

~Jake

Hey Jeff,

I have three RCI cruises and am already Platinum with Princess so I think whatever I do next if it's a hetero cruise it will be with Princess. I'm busy working my way up to Elite with them. I hope to get there by age 30! :D

I'm booking a British Isles cruise for sure next year but not sure which of the four dates Princess is offering that itinerary that we're booking. I'll keep you all posted.

You don't have a cruise before then Jeff?

~Jake

Jeff,

The Med is splendid. I'd love to go back there but alas, mom wants to go to the British Isles since that's where her heritage originated from. :cool:

Hawaii is a place that is closer to the USA so I can take that cruise when I get older. I'm more in for the things that will be harder to do when I get older, things that aren't handicap accessible and all that. So best to see the world when I'm young!! I know, planning for old age with North Korea and their nukes... who says we'll even make it to that age??? :eek:

~Jake

Archived