Jubilee

I will be sailing on next Thursday (a four day) cruise and will post when I get back. There are a few people who are sailing a few weeks later on the 5 day intenary.

Princess Coral

<applet code="countdown.class" codebase="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0"><param name="year" value="2004">

<param name="month" value="12"><param name="day" value="28">

<param name="hour" value="17"></applet>

gatour - I will be glad to see a post about Jubilee, dont' hear too much about her on these boards. We're on the 5 day cruise in July.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I sailed on the Jubilee in January Southern Caribbean 7 day cruise. It was my first cruise and I had a great time. The decor wasn't all that stylish, but the food and entertainment made up for it. The ship's layout at first was confusing but by the next morning we had it figured out.I was pleased with my cabin and the staff was great always smiling. Don't let all the negative reviews bring you down just go with a positive attitude and you will have fun. Have a great time!

Destiny 1/09/2005

Jubilee 1/17/2004

Gatour will look forward to hearing about the Jubilee............and yes a positive attitude is helpful and there are always negatives about every ship on these boards. Think for the price and a quick getaway we will go ahead and book it.

Sailed Jubilee twice when she was in Galveston.

That she wasn't the newest, fanciest or cleanest in the fleet was more than made up for by her crew.

I would avoid cabins on the lower decks near the stern. Lot of noise, and maybe a plumbing problem or two. It's been almost a year and maybe those things are fixed. I'd go.

Windjammer Fantome May 1988 ?

Elation Sept 2001

Voyager of the Seas May 2002

Celebration July 2002

Jubilee Sept 2002

Destiny June 2003

Jubilee Sept 2003

She is being retired to AUSTRALIA in October after a complete refurbishment - turning into the Pacific Sun (under the auspices of P&O Princess Line).

Check out:

Pacific Sun

kangaroo.gif

aus.gif

Storm'n Norman & Skippy

The Aussie Cruise-a-holic Duo

Cruise Photos @

http://community.webshots.com/user/stormnnorman

CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS (IN ABOVE LINK) FROM THE "STAR PRINCESS" (18TH OCTOBER 2003)!

http://community.webshots.com/user/justgotta

Check out my latest Triumph Cruisin' KRAZY Caribe Crew photos for 8th May 2004 (in above link)!!

Gatour how was your cruise?

Golden Princess 2005

Jubilee 2004

Celebrity Summit 2004

Celebrity Century 2002

RCL Soverign of the seas 2002

Spirit 2001

Destiny 2000

Jubilee 1999

NCL Crown 1998

Imagination 1997

We sailed on the Jubliee out of Galveston last July. It was our first cruise, and we had a great time! Sure, she wasn't the newest ship around, but she was still clean and, as others have said, the service was great!

We had an inside cabin on the Riviera deck and had a problem with the water in the shower going back and forth from hot to cold, but it didn't bother us too much... we didn't even complain about it to the steward or purser.

Was? icon_smile.gif I am still on it. icon_smile.gif We don't get back to port until tomorrow morning.

I will do a more thorough write up tomorrow but I have enjoyed it. The staff is wonderful, have a great cabin steward and the server and busboy were also good. The ship is somewhat worned but not overly so. One of my concerns was that since she would be going out of service for "renovation" in preparation for her reassignment to P&O, they would let the day to day maintenance go. That isn't the case. Overall I feel this was a good choice for our purposes.

Princess Coral

<applet code="countdown.class" codebase="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

Just got off Jubilee today...6-7-04.. and it was good...Granted there is some wear on the ship, but the food, staff, entertainment...is awesome....Cruise Director Cindy S...is one in a million....and I do mean one in a million..Dining staff is right up there with her..our waiter..Orlando was great..with a really good personality too....and we never had a single moment to be bored...even with one night of rain...(and we weren't at sea) but the boat had so much going on...we truly enjoyed every minute of the trip!!!

Here is a little more in-depth review. I am going to break this down into two parts as most of the people interested/taking the Jubilee are doing the Key West/Nassau itinerary while I took the Freeport/Nassau itinerary

A little background, I am a 40 year old male who has been on twelve cruises since 1981. I have previously sailed on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, Disney, Princess and HAL. My wife has been on 5 cruises on Premier, RCCL, Disney, Pricess and HAL. Joining us was my wife's mother, aunt, uncle, and 20 something male cousin all first time cruisers.

We took the 4 day itinerary stopping at Freeport and Nassau.

Arrival and Embarkation

Since we all live in Jacksonville, it was just a short trip to the port. I left from work, picked up my wife and took 9A to the port. Plenty of signs leading you to the port. I dropped off my wife and and luggage at the terminal and went to the parking lot. There is plenty of parking. Over the winter/early spring Celebrity had a ship cruising from here along with Carnival having the Miracle stationed here, so the parking lot was sized to that amount of traffic. However, I also have read in the newspaper that not as many people are driving to the pier as was expected, instead they are having friends and family members drop them off. As we confirmed while meeting people onboard, there is a huge Jacksonville presence on-board. The parking lot is right next to the terminal so the walk is short (maybe 200-300 yards) and if you have wheeled luggage, it is very doable to not dropping it off before parking. Checking in was a breeze, there was a very short line, so we were quickly in front of one of the many checkin agents. Remember to have your forms filled out before entering the line as there is someone checking. The mil/aunt/uncle/cousin arrived a hour or so before us (we arrived around 2ish) and also experienced short lines.

Grade for embarkation: A+

On board ship:

Ship Conditions:

One of the things I was worried about on this cruise was the state/cleanines of the ship since she would be going out service at the end of the summer to be renovated and reassigned to the P&O line. This was a needless concern, while the carpets, bedspreads, etc were obviously worned, they were being kept clean and taken care. They were not threadbare or stained with spots. The bathroom in the cabin looked original. I had taken the Celebration and Holiday when they were new and I recall that they had the same slightly pink tile in the shower stall that I was seeing now on the Jubilee. I didn't actually use the pools, but they seemed well maintained. I am not sure if the rear pool is adults only, but the times I sat back there I didn't see many kids using it. As an aside, the kids on-board were well-behaved, although I do have one complaint. There were a group of 12 girls (I would say in the 12-13 year age range) staying in cabins across from ours (with a couple of chaperones). When they would want to do something they would a gather at the door of the cabin across from ours and have 10-15 minute discusion about it. Our wall/door facing them is very thin and their voices carried very well into our cabin, which was annoying at 10pm at night and later at 1:30am. I didn't complain to them as they were kids being kids and were not intentionaly being bothersome or causing problems.

We had an outside cabin with with a window. The cabin was fairly standard size. Storage space was adequate for a 4 day cruise. For a 7 day cruise it would still be inadequate as when I first cruised this class of ship.

Getting back to the bathroom, the shower stall was relatively fairly spacious, one word of warning, once you get in make sure the curtain is inside the lip on the floor. The lip is fairly short so it is easy for the curtain to be on the outside, thusly causing a "flood" in the rest of the bathroom. Although it didn't happen this time, I do remember on the Holiday or Celebration this happening. If it does happen, don't worry too much as there is a drain in the floor.

Grade: B- (On a new ship this would be a bad grade, but a ship of this age and future life, I would say this would be a good grade)

Service:

Overall I would say this was the outstanding part of the trip. Our room steward (Be) was wonderfull. She did an excellent job on keeping the cabin clean etc. In addition, if she saw me in the hall she would always greet me by name and wish me a good day or some other time appropriate greeting. Felipe was our dinner server and on the 2 of the four days I showed up for dinner (one day I had a late shore excurssion and the other I had eaten a late lunch on shore) he was great. He didn't force the next course on me (even though the in-laws were into the next course) until I was finished with the course I was currently working on.

I like to have a couple of glasses of wine in one of the lounges before dinner. I found the Gazebo (while not technically a lounge) to be the location for me to have these glasses of wine. On the second night of the cruise, I was ordering the second glass, when the server suggested I order a bottle and he would keep it at the bar while I was there, and the either I could take it with me or he would keep it until the next night. I am not sure if the latter part is normal policy, but the former is definetly an acceptable policy. The server pointed out it would cheaper than buying individual glasses of wine. Needless to say I took him up on the offer. I thought this was a nice gesture, because in essence it cost him some tip money.

Grade: A+

Entertainment:

For most of this, I will have to rely on the word-of-mouth from my wife and in-laws. I didn't attend any of the nighttime shows in the main showroom. They attended most of them and thought the "Vegas" type shows, were great. The comedians got mixed reviews.

They did have some musicians in some of the lounges. They either had a jazz band on the Gazebo promenade or more often a guitar player (with a sound machine accompaniate) playing 80s type music. He was good. The jazz band was decent (I am wondering if they were ship's crew who were playing more as a second job as opposed to being a dedicated jazz band, There were 7 members with 5 playing at any one time, and for a ship this size that is a large group). The low point was the band in Smuggler's cove. The bandmates were Japanese and they played rock and roll. There musicianship were good but they did sing with a Japaneese accent. The only thing I could think about was the several movies I have seen where they have a scene take place in Japanese karokee bar, and I am not into karokee (my singing is so bad, that while rehearsing for a elementary school Christmas play, I was told to just mouth the words). Speaking of karokee, they did have it on-board several times, and overhearing some conversations, the people who did it, enjoyed the experience.

I discovered the last night, that the Speakeasy lounge was actually used during the cruise. It is a piano bar. I love "dueling piano" type places and wish I knew about this lounge sooner. While this isn't a dueling piano place, the music is the same as thoses place, except the piano player does them "straight". He is fairly good so I would recommend seeing him, if you are into this type of music.

Grade: B

Food:

This is definetly a Jekyl and Hyde situation. The food in the main dining room was excellent. The fish was cooked just right (I.E. not overcooked and dry) and the meat was delivered as ordered (i.e. if the desire doneness was rare, it was rare, while, if it was well-done, it was well-done). The food in the Funnel (lido deck buffet) while good, the presentation and variety was lacking. Food was tasty, but due to limitations of the buffet area, it felt like this was an afterthought. The food was just lackasically placed in the buffet stations. On other ships if you eat dinner at the lido buffet, there is some attempt to make it feel like a restaurant, not here, I felt like I was eating in a McDonalds. The fact that the celling was low, did not help. The variety was not that great. The was one fish, one carved meat, and one other "white" meat selection, each night (I only ate one dinner at the buffet, but did pass through there each night for curiosity sake)

Back to the main dining room, there are a few things to keep in mind. On the Jubilee, they have implemented four dining times. In the Bordoux dining room, the dinner seatings were 5:45 pm and 8pm while the Burgundy seatings were 6:30pm and 8:30 pm. I think this is a good trend, we first saw this on the Zaandam, two months ago. I think it is a good compromise between "freestyle dining" as seen on NCL or Princess and the traditional two seatings. While on this particular cruise we had early/early (5:45) and I would prefer early/late (6:30pm) I like this additional option. I am not sure how you go about requesting which of the four seatings, as most travel agents (TAs) are geared to just two seatings or the ability to choose freestyle vs traditional seating ala Princess, but I would check with your TA or Carnival to determine how to do this.

Other food odds and ends. If you like to do a lox and a shmeer on a bagel in the morning, you can only get this in the main dining room or from room service. On the first morning, I checked out the breakfast buffet and there was no smoked salmon. On a cruise, I like to start the morning off with smoked salmon, sprinkled with capers and a couple slices of lemons. So I ended up in the main dining room. Later in the day, I checked out the room service menu and saw that you could get it from them also. The way they have it set up, you checkmark next to "smoked salmon" but the bread was in a separate section so it was your choice about receiving a bagel or not. The "fat" ie butter, cream cheese etc was also its own section so again this was an optional choice. You then tell them the time fram you wanted to deliver. I wanted to give a reasonable-to-me range so I chose 8am to 8:30am, at about 8:10am, I got a knock on the door and there was my smoked salmon with a few onion slices and a slice of lemon on the side. Alas, no capers, but I didn't get them in dining room, so no problem. On a plus side, the delivery guy did confirm with me that I didn't want a bagel. Again another example of the service on-board.

If you like omelets, you are in luck. They do cook-to-order omelets in the lido buffet. According to my wife saw the fillings are ham, cheese, mushrooms, green bell peppers, and onions. I will have to check with my wife if there were others, but she is still recovering from the cruise (ie getting some sleep).

They also have "midnight" buffets. There is a "Grand" buffet, a Mexican buffet, a Chocolate buffet and I believe BBQ one. I only saw the Mexican buffet, as on the other nights, I was already asleep. If you have specific questions, I can ask my wife.

Between 5pm and 8pm they serve sushi at the Gazebo. They have three choices each night. A roll of some kind (spicy tuna roll for example) a rice topped with seafood (i.e. salmon on top of rice) and always a vegetable roll. The sushi was serviceable.

The only time they opened the main dining rooms for lunch was the sea day. They had two seatings on that day.

Grade:

Normally, I would only give one grade for the entire food service operation, but since there was such a disparity, I am breaking it down to two.

Main dining room: A+

Lido Buffet: C-

Disembarkation:

I am not giving any grades on this as it is hard to determine where responsibilities reside. Upon checking in, one of the guards/assistants made a comment about using "express" departure when we return to Jacksonville. He said it can be a real madhouse in the luggage area upon disembarkation and the luggage pickup are would be hot. On the last day of the cruise, they told us about express departure. Basically if you can hand carry all of your luggage they will let you leave the ship as soon as Customs clears the ship. They say, normally it is between 7:30am to 8:30am. Carnival says they can do this, because once a ship clears Customs it can take an hour or so get the luggage off the ship, so during this time the people who are willing to take their own luggage get a "head start"

Here was our experience. Around 8:10 there was an annoucement that you could do express departure, we all pile into the corridor (our cabin was on the Upper deck (6) while the embarkation/disembarkation deks is Main (5). It was then a traffic jam. After 20 minutes, the Cruise Director, came on the intercom that Customs/INS had computer difficulties. We finally moved some(I am talking about 10-15 feet over a timespan of 20 minutes with most of the time just standing still). The Cruise Director came back on the intercom and said Customs/INS had to reboot their computers and would be up shortly. After another 25 minutes were finally offboard. Once were off the ship, the rest of the process was quick. Walking through the baggage area, there were all of the bags for the people not using "express" departure. Based on the amount of baggage, I would say at least half of the passengers had elected to use "express" departure. So if you happen to be the "last" in line for express departure or even halfway down it, it just may be better to use normal departure as you don't have to worry about holding a heavy bag on a stairway. However, if you are flying and have a flight before 11:30am, you are required to use express departure.

In Conclussion:

I would say this was a good cruise. Every cruise is different with good points and bad points. I have never been on a bad cruise but there are ones that were perfect for me at that time of life or fit my personality, that I would have problems with recommending to others. Not this one, overall a very good cruise experience. Perfect for first time cruises to get a flavor of cruising and also nice for experienced cruisers. The only group that it may not be appropriate for is someone who have been on a on or two other cruises exclusively on another line and thinks that all cruises on all lines on all size of ships should be the same. My philosophy is any day at sea is better than any in the office.

If you have any questions, I am more than willing to answer them, if I don't have an answer, or feel one of my in-laws or wife could give a better answer I will ask them. The nice thing is that my group was a diverse lot so we have a wide variety of viewpoints/opinions.

As a teaser on the ports we stopped at...

Nassau gets my vote for most improved port.

Princess Coral

gatour - Thanks for posting your review. I'm glad you had a good cruise. Your review of the ship is about what I have been expecting for a ship of Jubilee's age. We are looking forward to our cruise next month.

I have to ask, why do you pick Nassau as the most improved port and what did you do there? We've been thinking about the Yellowbird Tour but haven't really decided anything yet.

Terri

Skyward - 1989

Carnivale - 1991

Holiday - 1994

Fantasy - 1998

Century - 2002

Century - 2003

Jubilee - 7/04

Century - 9/04

Coral Princess - 3/05

Valor - 10/05

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

Thanks from me too! I have friends that will be doing their first cruise this Saturday on the Jubilee. I'll email your review to them.

Jane

Cruise #14 - Glory 11-27-04

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The ship's layout at first was confusing but by the next morning we had it figured out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

prbabe: Just wait til you get on the Destiny! After coming from the Destiny & Conquest, the Jubilee was a piece of cake!!!

Carnival Destiny 2/22/98 (Honeymoon)

Carnival Conquest 11/15/02 "Maiden Voyage"

Jubilee 9/15/03 last Texas cruise!

Also some other tidbits of information.

I like having one or two diet pepsi's when I first get up, which many times is before the first bar opens. I packed a few in my carry-on bag and had no problem brings them on-board. Additionally there was a man carrying a twelve pack of soda and he didn't apear to have any problem in bring it onboard.

Speaking of soda. Carnival also sells soda cards both adult and child version like many cruise lines nowadays. However unlike other lines where it is the same cost no matter when in the cruise you buy it, Carnival will prorate the cost. My wife didn't buy it on embarkation day, when she bought it the next day, it cost less than if she bought the first day. If you don't think you will be buying soda on embarkation day (probably because you will be enjoying slightly stronger drinks icon_smile.gif ) Wait until the next day and save a little money.

The Jubilee has Internet access. This includes wireless access. If I knew this, I would have brought my laptop and wi-fi card with me. If you don't have a card they will rent you one for a per day cost. The price plans for wireless is significantly cheeper than when you used their computers. I never saw anyone using a wireless laptop so not sure the coverage. I imagine it would just around the Internet lab.

Princess Coral

Here is my take on the first of the two islands we stopped at.

Freeport:

The only time I have been here before was during the first two cruises I ever took. Back then I took an offshore snorkeling tour then so didn’t see much of the island. My parents took an island tour and said there really not much to see and the highlight then was the stop for shopping. Well not much has changed. We docked at an industrial port, although it looked like our dock were dedicated to cruise ships. I believe there was a few shops off to the side, but didn’t have time to verify as me and the cousin had signed up for the kayaking tour and it takes up the entire port stay of the ship. Once they had at least twelve people who were taking this tour, we boarded a taxi. We then took a long ride to Lucaya. This seemed to be created strictly for the tourist trade resort complex. There were two resorts and a shopping area that seemed very Disneyesque. We got out of the taxi and then proceeded to a van labeled with the name of the company providing the tour. Now this van was the exact same size the taxi we took, so in reality they could have sent the company's buses directly to the port to get us. I imagine the use of the taxis was some of the “spread the money around†theory in action. When we off took off, the van driver started giving us a history of the island. Basically the island was pretty empty of people until the 50’s when a retired lumber executive convinced the gov’t that he could build a real town etc.

We got to the launch point for the kayaks where given some basic instruction on kayaking, we then boarded one of the two-man kayaks. I have never kayaked, while the cousin only done sea kayaking and this was a “streamâ€. I think we did real well. Some of the people were constantly going from shore to shore. However there were times when we had to break down one of the oars and paddle the kayak like a canoe since the stream was so narrow and the overhanging branches were so low. After kayaking for what I think was about 45-60 minutes, we reached where the stream empties into the ocean, however the ending point of the trip was right before this point.

After gathering everyone up, we proceeded to the next part of the trip, the beach. I missed this part in the description of the trip but had read where we were to take a hike through the national park (actually the beach is part of the national park) so had worn shoes instead of my aqua socks, if I knew we were going to the beach I would have brought the aqua socks, and as I later found out, the hike was only something like 500 yards or so.

It was low tide so the beach was large. The beach was beautiful and nearly empty. However if the tide was up, the beach would be almost non-existent as the high water mark (based on the seaweed line) was near the first line of trees. They also feed us here. It was a build your own sandwich type thing. White and wheat bread, along with some ham and/or cheese. Some tomatoes, lettuce, mustard, mayo, ketchup were choices. They also had peanut butter and jelly. Not a bad spread. While we were walking back to the bus, the guide/driver (Ben) would explain about some of the plants and how the mangrove swamp worked, very interesting. We then boarded the van and drove to the last part of the tour.

We stopped and proceeded up a path to the first of two caves, there was sign calling it Ben’s cave (or some such.) The cave was filled with water and Ben proceeded to give some information on the ecology, size and history of the cave system. If you were paying close attention above you may have noticed that the name of the cave and our guide’s name was the same. Yep it was named after him, because he brought the first divers to the cave, back in the late sixties.

After this we proceeded back to the ship, where we were one of the last groups to board.

My wife, her mother, and her aunt and uncle took the tour of the island excursion. It consisted of the same history lesson that I got on my tour but the driver also pointed out various celebrities’ houses. They stopped for 30 minutes at the International Bazaar for shopping and also stopped at the beach for an hour or so. The mother and aunt and uncle were not interested in the beach so they were ultimately disappointed with this tour.

My recommendation on this island would be take the tour I did or take a just beach tour. If you want to do just shopping or a combination shopping/beach tour, I would just hire a taxi on your own for each leg of your trip.

Princess Coral

Since someone asked about the Yellowbird tour and not make them have to read through my write up on Nassau, I will answer here. I have never done it, but most of the people I have talked to who have taken this excursion have enjoyed the trip immensely. Just keep in mind that it is definitely a booze cruise, with a lot drinking and partying.

Nassau:

I have stopped at Nassau many times and have grown to dislike this island. In fact one time we walked off the ship and were back on-board within 30 minutes. We would be constantly harassed my hair braiders and taxi drivers and it just wasn’t pleasant. They have now cleaned some of the problems. They have built a building on the part of the pier, where I believe the original straw market was when I first started cruising. The building has some merchants in various kiosks scattered around inside of the building, selling various things, like straw hat/baskets, host sauce, paintings etc. It also housed a post office counter (although I never saw anyone there), some rental counters, and some tourist information booths. The final function was to act as a “gatehouse†to the pier. To leave or to return to the docks for accessing the ships, you had to pass through this building. To return you had to show your picture id and they only allowed cruise ship passengers through.

After exiting the building there was a group of taxi drivers who asked if we needed a ride, but a firm no silenced them. They didn’t seem as persistent as other times we have been here and didn’t follow us around. Also while walking around the town, only a few times did a passing driver ask if we needed a taxi. Off to the left of the “gatehouse†building was a new open area pavilion. Inside this pavilion were the hair braiders. I wonder if Nassau has implemented a regulation where they are limited to that location. We were not accosted while walking towards the shopping district and were only asked a couple times while we shopped.

After doing some shopping my wife and MIL went back to the ship. I then proceeded to the Conch Fritter’s restaurant. I wanted to try some conch fritters and to round out the meal ordered a Greek salad. I had done some research on the web and this place was recommended. The fritters were good, and they were light. I was expecting them to be heavy like hush puppies but weren’t. They were accompanied by a remoulade like dipping sauce. It had a slight bite to it and was also good. The Greek salad was a decent size (I received the large one) and was also good. Just keep in mind, that salads are relatively pricey on an island due to shipping issues. If you would like to try some local dishes, I would recommend this place. It also has some typical bar food like hamburgers etc. The easiest way to find it is to turn right off the pier and walk towards the Senor Frogs sign. When you get to Senor Frogs turn left, the building that you are passing around is the Hilton. Once you get to the end, turn right and you should see it across the street. Wait for a break in traffic and cross the street.

I next had to try Senor Frogs. I have been to either Senor Frogs or Carlos and Charlie’s in Cozumel and Aruba, so was expecting to have some fun. This wasn’t to be; when I arrived they were doing a congo line where towards the end they were giving upside down shots while people passed one of the servers. For the rest of the time I was there, nothing else happened, what a disappointment. The other places had something going on every 15 minutes or so, even in the middle of the day. Later on that evening, back on-board ship I was on deck and it seemed things may have picked up at Senor Frog’s as I could hear a lot of noises coming from it.

For the rest of my on-shore time, I found an upstairs restaurant with a bar and enjoyed a couple glasses of wine.

Overall, to me, Nassau seemed to have improved, with a lot the former negative qualities decreased. In the future, I won’t cringe when a cruise stops there.

Princess Coral

• 2 weeks later...

Archived