Do we need Medallion to start online check in?

SuzieQ521

Our cruise departs on May 20th; what is the earliest date we can do online check in (where they assign the boarding group on embarkation day)?

We have the Plus package and as part of the promo, our Medallion is supposed to be mailed to us... When does that typically happen?

We haven't cruised Princess since they started the Medallion stuff so I'm a little confused as to how online check in works.

Thanks!

You can start the online check in as soon as you book--making sure your passport, bed configuration, dietary preferences, etc are in & correct (this can be done either on the Medallion app or on the web version)

It gets confusing because there is the Medallion app...which has the check-in, dining, schedule etc (it is a phone app which you can but don't have to use) & the actual Medallion which is the quarter sized device that you will use on the ship like your old cruise card to open your door, pay for things, get on & off the ship (etc)

I don't know if you still need to order the Medallion withthe Plus package (but I would imagine you do as there are options to personalize it or upgrade the holder) this is in the app...the actual medallion will arrive 1-2 weeks before you sail.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Usually being able to pick a check-in time is about 30 days before the cruise. Might be earlier or later.

However except for a few ports outside the USA, nobody asks what time you had scheduled and you can check in anytime once check-in has started.

The Medallions usually are received one to two weeks before embarkation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Our cruise departs on May 20th; what is the earliest date we can do online check in (where they assign the boarding group on embarkation day)?

We have the Plus package and as part of the promo, our Medallion is supposed to be mailed to us... When does that typically happen?

We haven't cruised Princess since they started the Medallion stuff so I'm a little confused as to how online check in works.

Thanks!

You can start uploading documents, photos, etc right away in the Medallion app. You can also make dinner reservations.

You will need to use the app to request that the medallions be shipped to you. If you don’t request shipping they will have them at the port. ((Not everyone wants them shipped) Medallions are usually shipped about 2 weeks before embarkation. 

Selecting a boarding time is usually available 45 - 30 days ahead of time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Thanks!

Princess Noob here, but I am used to the "award winning" IT of other lines (Hint...they are all bad, Princess may be the slowest I have seen, though Hal may have been decent since I have no recollection of issues with them). I sail on the May 22nd, and was able to complete all my check-in stuff on the website using the link for the web-based app. 20-60 seconds between clicks though, just horribly slow on their end last night just to finish up the medallion ordering, which put me through to green lane. Sometimes if it is real slow just come back the next day and hope it is better! The actual app has been so slow as to be pretty much unusable, on both my android phone and tablet, but that may be a function of the slow wifi I have at work (throttled to about 5 Mbps). I have always found it easier to do the app check-in stuff from my desktop for most of it, and only use the actual app for stuff I have to. I have enough security photo selfies downloaded to my desktop that I do not even need the phone app for that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I don't know if you still need to order the Medallion withthe Plus package (but I would imagine you do as there are options to personalize it or upgrade the holder) this is in the app...the actual medallion will arrive 1-2 weeks before you sail.

I have the premier, which is supposed to be free shipping. It was showing a $10 charge for shipping when I checked out, and had to use a credit card to complete the order. Order says card will be charged when shipped, so hopefully they will not charge me at the time of shipping. I had finished up all the required stuff and was still showing Blue Lane, once Medallion ordering was done it switched to Green lane. You do have the option not to order it shipped and to pick it up at the port, it is after you have chosen your Medallion styles and upgrade options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torfamm said:

Selecting a boarding time is usually available 45 - 30 days ahead of time.

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Usually being able to pick a check-in time is about 30 days before the cruise. Might be earlier or later.

Thank you both for this, came here for that question.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedIguana said:

I have the premier, which is supposed to be free shipping. It was showing a $10 charge for shipping when I checked out, and had to use a credit card to complete the order.

You are not alone with this.

There have been other posts saying the same thing.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

You will need to use the app to request that the medallions be shipped to you.

You can also call Princess and select the options to get to someone who will take your order for the Medallion over the phone without needing to use the app.

You should order the Medallion via phone or app to be "ocean ready."

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. So just to confirm:

1) Download Medallion App now to input information (I see I can do this on the Princess website too when I log in); 

2) Request the Medallion device which "supposedly" should be free shipping with my cruise promo; 

3) Select boarding time 45 or 30 days out?

Thanks!