Trip insurance - thoughts so far

longterm

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

You may find that arrangement in the US, but in Canada, both travel agents and insurance agents are regulated, so they must be registered and licenced. Therefore, highly unlikely that CDNPolar and I would find a travel agent that is also licenced to sell insurance.

Overall this is an interesting discussion, but this does just highlight something that has come up several times, that there are differences between UK, AU, CA, and the US in booking, deposits, final payment dates, and also insurance.

It would be really helpful for all members to post their country at least in their profile as that is one thing that I always look to when reading a response, because I understand that there are differences.

For instance, Canadians cannot buy TripMate insurance offered through Viking.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

For instance, Canadians cannot buy TripMate insurance offered through Viking.

Is that new? I purchased TripMate insurance for a cruise a few years ago - it was ultimately cancelled by Viking due to the pandemic, but the documentation I received was marked for Canadians.

TripMate has many policy versions to comply with various US state regulations - I took this one as just one more version. 🍺🥌

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Is that new? I purchased TripMate insurance for a cruise a few years ago - it was ultimately cancelled by Viking due to the pandemic, but the documentation I received was marked for Canadians.

TripMate has many policy versions to comply with various US state regulations - I took this one as just one more version. 🍺🥌

Rob,

I heard this about 6 months ago, that Viking can't sell Canadians Tripmate. However, for those of us with existing policies, they still honour the policy and pay out claims.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I believe that now Viking recommend Canadian's to go to Manulife.

• Thanks 1