FAS Service Charge Refund

tonit964

Just now, tonit964 said:

I’m trying to figure out the total amount of charges to insure if I have to cancel.

I know the port fees & taxes are refundable but are the FAS drink & dining package fee refunded as well?

Thank you!

Yes they are (the service charges).  Also any shore excursions, pre-paid WiFi package upgrades, pre-paid DSC [if you pre-paid them], everything but your cruise fare.    (I nailed down this info with NCL some time ago for just the same reason  -- what did I need to insure?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes they are (the service charges).  Also any shore excursions, pre-paid WiFi package upgrades, pre-paid DSC [if you pre-paid them], everything but your cruise fare.    (I nailed down this info with NCL some time ago for just the same reason  -- what did I need to insure?)

Thank you for confirming!

Off to make my final payment on my Encore Alaska cruise.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I asked for a cancel price recently on a BtB that included a flight(over 85 days out with no flight info yet).  I am solo.  The 25% and 50% penalty were significantly higher than the "base fare" calculation.   I questioned it but got mumbles from more than 1 NCL agents.  

I'm guessing that you are using a third-party travel insurance company (which is what we do too.)

I'd encourage you to look into the cost difference between insuring the whole cost of your cruise vs. just insuring for the cost of the cruise fare. The cost of the insurance probably isn't all that different, and if you've insured the whole cost, you are covered in any case. Also, if (like us) you are also insuring flights, pre-cruise hotel, etc as well as the cruise, including the gratuities and taxes in the plan might not change the overall cost at all.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, wil e coyote said:

I'm guessing that you are using a third-party travel insurance company (which is what we do too.)

I'd encourage you to look into the cost difference between insuring the whole cost of your cruise vs. just insuring for the cost of the cruise fare. The cost of the insurance probably isn't all that different, and if you've insured the whole cost, you are covered in any case. Also, if (like us) you are also insuring flights, pre-cruise hotel, etc as well as the cruise, including the gratuities and taxes in the plan might not change the overall cost at all.

Enjoy your cruise!

Even on just a one-week cruise last fall to Bermuda on the Joy, the taxes, port fees, and gratuities totaled nearly $900.  I think that is going to change the cost of most private travel insurance.  And since those are refundable expenses, they aren't insurable, and it makes no sense to pay to include them.   

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Even on just a one-week cruise last fall to Bermuda on the Joy, the taxes, port fees, and gratuities totaled nearly $900.  I think that is going to change the cost of most private travel insurance.  And since those are refundable expenses, they aren't insurable, and it makes no sense to pay to include them.   

I also do not include these costs in our travel insurance as well as our airfare since we try to fly refundable/credit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vacation44 said:

I also do not include these costs in our travel insurance as well as our airfare since we try to fly refundable/credit.  

Same here.  The vast majority of the time we use Southwest Points and Hyatt Points.  SW can be cancelled up until something like ten minutes before the flight.  

• Like 1