Best of the Amalfi Coast??

jc522

Viking canceled their Amalfi Coast excursion, apparently due to docking in Naples for a shorter time than originally scheduled. We dock at 1pm and disembark at 7pm. We've hired a private driver and would like some information as we work on an itinerary. I have read that Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Ravello and Scala are the top 5 towns to visit. I'd guess that there are others. We have been to Sorrento and Positano. I'd skip Sorrento this time. If we also dropped Positano we would have more time for the other 3 and maybe a few others in the area of Amalfi town. Are some of these other towns as picturesque as Positano, or should I keep Positano on my list? If I drop Positano we could perhaps save some time by driving via inland routes, avoiding the traffic on the coast road. 

Edited by jc522

• jc522 changed the title to Best of the Amalfi Coast??

In my limited experience I would say Ravello is the nicest— maybe in part because it is less crowded? I might even just do Ravello esp if you have seen Positano before. We enjoyed both Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufalo— add in some walking around town and a nice lunch at Hotel Villa Maria and that seems like a good day. 

Years back we spent a week on the Amalfi Coast. Was awesome. I think that each town has its own special ‘magic’. Agree that Ravello is pretty special.

Positano is unique. But then, each of them are. We’ve been to Sorrento twice, and in hindsight once was enough. 
The road along the coast is pretty slow going. Not one you want your guide to rush on. If you dock at 1:00, and need to be back to sail by 7:00, then realistically you might want to choose a couple places that are of most interest to you and have a little time in each. If you try several, you will be pretty rushed without the opportunity to really enjoy any. But that’s just my thoughts. 
The Amalfi is impossible to not enjoy!  Have a great time 

Edited by Vineyard View

4 minutes ago, Doh15 said:

In my limited experience I would say Ravello is the nicest— maybe in part because it is less crowded? I might even just do Ravello esp if you have seen Positano before. We enjoyed both Villa Cimbrone and Villa Rufalo— add in some walking around town and a nice lunch at Hotel Villa Maria and that seems like a good day. 

Thanks. I tend to agree. Maybe Amalfi and Ravello. We'll be able to put this itinerary together once we meet our driver, but the more we know in advance of that the better.