Blackberry's on Spirit

fkwok

Hi. I know this is an insane question, but do Blackberries connect to the wireless system in the internet cafe? I know I would have to pay for the service as if I had my laptop, but its a lot lighter than my laptop :).

I would like to be able to check email without having to wait for a terminal to open up or having to lug my laptop with me.

Someone at work said the Blackberries do work once you are with certain distance from land, but he said it failed when at sea (duh).

Thanks.

Hi. I know this is an insane question, but do Blackberries connect to the wireless system in the internet cafe? I know I would have to pay for the service as if I had my laptop, but its a lot lighter than my laptop :).

I would like to be able to check email without having to wait for a terminal to open up or having to lug my laptop with me.

Someone at work said the Blackberries do work once you are with certain distance from land, but he said it failed when at sea (duh).

Thanks.

I hate to tell you but if it is a GSM equipped blackberry it should work on the ship as on land. The Spirit has a private cell that ties to the satellite link.

Check with your carrier for the rates you are roaming.

I hate to tell you but if it is a GSM equipped blackberry it should work on the ship as on land. The Spirit has a private cell that ties to the satellite link.

Check with your carrier for the rates you are roaming.

Hi. Thanks for the info. It beats having to constantly running to the internet cafe, but that might be a good thing :)

I wonder what the roaming charges are for St. Thomas, BVI and Bermuda? My co-worker also advised me to get the blackberry that has the international chip. Is this what you mean by GSM?

I can verify that CDMA (sprint in my case) blackberries work just fine in miami, puerto rico and st. thomas. GSC you get a faint echo of a signal, but I think it is just reflected off the water, the device can hear the cell towers but not respond.

GSM is more of an international/european standard and may work in a few additional ports. I believe cingular has an arrangement with NCL for their ships. I dont know/believe it offers GPRS, so a blackberry probably won't work at sea. I could be wrong of course.

IMO, working in just PR and St Thomas was perfect. I could feel up to date, but still know that no one could reach me when leaving port. It may or may not work in your room, too much metal in the ship.

BTW: blackberries are my job, so let me know if you have any other questions :)

Used my blackberry the whole time on the Sun two weeks ago. There were a few times I didn't get a signal but it was not all day, even on at sea days. My service is through cingular, bought 'international" package for 19 for a month, cancelled when I returned. I did have addiitonal roaming charges of about 15 and I typically checked messages 3 times a day. The gms had to be using a satellite or the ships cell connection but I had no charges from NCL.

Archived