Tomso - Grotfjord - Princess Grotfjord Exploration by Rib & Bus -- Reviews/Comments?

Princess Grotfjord Exploration by Rib & Bus - wondering if anyone's done this tour & has any comments. Is the view of the Grotfjord/other views worth the high price? I'm hoping to experience/see as many fjords as possible, as I realized that the cruise we selected is more of a coastal cruise, than a fjord focused cruise. (e.g., we don't cruise Geiranger).

Anyone done any other Grotford tours?    Thank you!

Personally, I wouldn't spend a Tromsø port day trying to make up for a lack of fjord scenery. The iconic fjords are along the southern coast, and the geology and landscape is much different up in the Arctic. Tromsø has a lot to recommend it on its own accord and the scenery even from the city itself is quite striking. This excursion could still be a great chance to enjoy some nice scenery in the area, but I wouldn't consider it any kind of replacement for the famous fjords. I also imagine it would be disappointing and uncomfortable if the weather doesn't cooperate. It could be a good option if you have the opportunity to cancel a few days out if the weather forecast looks bad, but if it's expensive, I'm not sure I'd want to take the gamble if I couldn't back out.

The mountains around Tromsø are actually high enough that they can be masked by low cloud cover, but if they sky is clear it can be stunning. If you're interested in nature and/or very active excursions, look for options that will take you into the Lyngen Alps. There are usually some things like summer dogsledding or day hikes that operate in that area.

Within the city itself, I like the Arctic Museum and Polaria aquarium. The Arctic Cathedral is interesting architecture, though I think it's enough to see it from the outside and don't remember being wowed the one time I've gone in. And if you're in town on a day with nice weather, the cable car can be worth it for the views. You can also hike farther up the mountain a short way to get more views and less crowds. And if you enjoy beer, it's definitely worth stopping into the Mack Ølhallen for a pint of one of their smaller-batch brews.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kaisatsu said:

Personally, I wouldn't spend a Tromsø port day trying to make up for a lack of fjord scenery. The iconic fjords are along the southern coast, and the geology and landscape is much different up in the Arctic. Tromsø has a lot to recommend it on its own accord and the scenery even from the city itself is quite striking. This excursion could still be a great chance to enjoy some nice scenery in the area, but I wouldn't consider it any kind of replacement for the famous fjords. I also imagine it would be disappointing and uncomfortable if the weather doesn't cooperate. It could be a good option if you have the opportunity to cancel a few days out if the weather forecast looks bad, but if it's expensive, I'm not sure I'd want to take the gamble if I couldn't back out.

The mountains around Tromsø are actually high enough that they can be masked by low cloud cover, but if they sky is clear it can be stunning. If you're interested in nature and/or very active excursions, look for options that will take you into the Lyngen Alps. There are usually some things like summer dogsledding or day hikes that operate in that area.

Within the city itself, I like the Arctic Museum and Polaria aquarium. The Arctic Cathedral is interesting architecture, though I think it's enough to see it from the outside and don't remember being wowed the one time I've gone in. And if you're in town on a day with nice weather, the cable car can be worth it for the views. You can also hike farther up the mountain a short way to get more views and less crowds. And if you enjoy beer, it's definitely worth stopping into the Mack Ølhallen for a pint of one of their smaller-batch brews.

Thank you!  I will look into your very helpful suggestions.

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2023 at 2:23 AM, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Princess Grotfjord Exploration by Rib & Bus - wondering if anyone's done this tour & has any comments. Is the view of the Grotfjord/other views worth the high price? I'm hoping to experience/see as many fjords as possible, as I realized that the cruise we selected is more of a coastal cruise, than a fjord focused cruise. (e.g., we don't cruise Geiranger).

Anyone done any other Grotford tours?    Thank you!

Sorry I know I am late to this thread, but wondered if you are on the Sky or Island Princess this summer for the Arctic circle trip?

We find cruises to Norway are often advertised as Norwegian fjords when so many just go to coastal towns, we are therefore very careful when we book these cruises. We have met a lot of people disappointed on cruise ships because they didn’t know about this or research where they were going before going on the cruise.

We have however booked the Sky Princess for this summer even though it is a lot of coastal towns just because there were only 2 cruises to choose from going to the Arctic circle this summer. We too saw the Grotfjord rib excursion but it is very expensive and didn’t know if a rib excursion meant we could take in the scenery and take pictures. We are looking into trips to see scenery around Tromso, as someone has mentioned Lyngen is a very lovely area but I don’t think it is that possible to do a day tour from Tromso on there. I will let you know what I find in terms of trips from Tromso.

Are you going to Alesund on your trip? The reason I ask is because there is a boat trip from Alesund down the Geiranger fjord with Geirangerfjord service? 

9 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Sorry I know I am late to this thread, but wondered if you are on the Sky or Island Princess this summer for the Arctic circle trip?

We find cruises to Norway are often advertised as Norwegian fjords when so many just go to coastal towns, we are therefore very careful when we book these cruises. We have met a lot of people disappointed on cruise ships because they didn’t know about this or research where they were going before going on the cruise.

We have however booked the Sky Princess for this summer even though it is a lot of coastal towns just because there were only 2 cruises to choose from going to the Arctic circle this summer. We too saw the Grotfjord rib excursion but it is very expensive and didn’t know if a rib excursion meant we could take in the scenery and take pictures. We are looking into trips to see scenery around Tromso, as someone has mentioned Lyngen is a very lovely area but I don’t think it is that possible to do a day tour from Tromso on there. I will let you know what I find in terms of trips from Tromso.

Are you going to Alesund on your trip? The reason I ask is because there is a boat trip from Alesund down the Geiranger fjord with Geirangerfjord service? 

Thank you! We are on the Island princess for the summer trip.  It doesn't stop at Alesund, but stops at Andalsnes. We also booked the Island Princess northern lights cruise in Oct.  That one does stop at Alesund. So, I'd be interested if there is a boat trip down the Geiranger fjord. (Although our summer itinerary is more coastal than fjords, I was looking forward to our Longyearbyen/Spitsbergen stop, but unfortunately that was recently removed from the itinerary) 

Just now, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Thank you! We are on the Island princess for the summer trip.  It doesn't stop at Alesund, but stops at Andalsnes. We also booked the Island Princess northern lights cruise in Oct.  That one does stop at Alesund. So, I'd be interested if there is a boat trip down the Geiranger fjord. (Although our summer itinerary is more coastal than fjords, I was looking forward to our Longyearbyen/Spitsbergen stop, but unfortunately that was recently removed from the itinerary) 

We looked at that cruise but we had a feeling Spitsbergen would be dropped so we chose the Sky instead. You are going to Lofoten though instead which makes me very jealous!

I will let you know if I find anything interesting in Tromso.

Nicole

4 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

We looked at that cruise but we had a feeling Spitsbergen would be dropped so we chose the Sky instead. You are going to Lofoten though instead which makes me very jealous!

I will let you know if I find anything interesting in Tromso.

Nicole

Thank you! Hope you have a great trip!

On 4/12/2023 at 12:13 AM, Retired2016Cruiser said:

Thank you! Hope you have a great trip!

Hello

Ive just been reading up on the Princess Grotfjord trip for the Sky princess cruise and I can see that the rib boat does not actually go down the fjord, the fjord sightseeing is by bus on the way back, it still looks like an interesting rib boat route though. Just thought you should know that before you book.

Nicole 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Nicole&Pete said:

Hello

Ive just been reading up on the Princess Grotfjord trip for the Sky princess cruise and I can see that the rib boat does not actually go down the fjord, the fjord sightseeing is by bus on the way back, it still looks like an interesting rib boat route though. Just thought you should know that before you book.

Nicole 

Thank you! That is, indeed, good to know!