Hoonah/Icy Straight Point without a tour.

olya1972

On 4/2/2023 at 12:09 AM, suzzek said:

We would love to do the zip line in ISP but I’m not sure how to prebook this. I don’t see tickets available from our ship. Is it possible to get tickets the day we arrive?

Yes you can book tickets, which cruise line is it?

3 hours ago, Guyc said:

I had the same issue, I had to call my cruise line (NCL) and have them manually add it to my itinerary.

I called Celebrity and got the tickets purchased, just as you did.  Odd that it shows up as an excursion, but I had to spend a long time on the phone to make it happen. 🥴

On 3/4/2023 at 6:30 AM, olya1972 said:

Can someone recommend how to structure a day in Icy Straight Point without booking any tours. Visiting in second half of May latter this year ( a group of two couples in their 70’s, not athletic, but in decent physical shape, walkers). Time in port- full day, 8am-6pm. Thank You.

You can take a nice walk along the water and have lunch here...

339070218_1703842416712684_5531439559721009772_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:09 PM, suzzek said:

We would love to do the zip line in ISP but I’m not sure how to prebook this. I don’t see tickets available from our ship. Is it possible to get tickets the day we arrive?

You def want to book in advance with the cruise line. 

If the cruise lines do not sell out (and they usually do) there will be tickets available on the day you are in port. 

ISP has a great zipline. 

Very popular. 

I don't often recommend booking any "tours" through the cruise line, but this one is a little different situation. 

21 hours ago, Boo's Mom said:

You can take a nice walk along the water and have lunch here...

339070218_1703842416712684_5531439559721009772_n.jpg

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I AM GOING INTO HOONAH!!! Sorry for the excitement, but yes, that was my favorite meal of the entire trip!  I am SO EXCITED to go back 🙂 Everyone should go.....I even saw our Cruise Director there! HAHAHAH

Salmon taco all the way :)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kathscof said:

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I AM GOING INTO HOONAH!!! Sorry for the excitement, but yes, that was my favorite meal of the entire trip!  I am SO EXCITED to go back 🙂 Everyone should go.....I even saw our Cruise Director there! HAHAHAH

Salmon taco all the way 🙂                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

I'm obsessed with the menu! 

Halibut nuggets!! 😍

• Like 1

I started out to respond to this thread but got carried away with my love of Alaska and what a wonderful, "real Alaska" town Hoonah is.

By all means, take the beach trail and walk into town. When I was first there in May of 2018, the whales were active and I saw many as I walked into town. Even saw some bubble net feeding just off the harbor. Definitely eat at the Fishman's Daughter. Their "locally sourced" seafood is an understatement - the fishing boats dock literally across the street. It's all fresh and great. If in doubt, just ask and they will lead you straight. Sit at a picnic table outside as you eat and observe life in Hoonah. Look for the totem carver in town for some insight into Tlingit culture. For another authentic experience, stop in at the Office Bar - a real, Alaskan bar populated by real Alaskans (unlike that "Alaska Guide" you'll meet in the Juneau or Skagway who is really a seasonal worker from Iowa who has never spent a winter in Alaska).

Back in the ISP port area, check out the cannery for intersting info on the history of the salmon canning industry in Alaska.  Take the trams up the mountain for some great scenery. (As an added benefit, there's a cell phone tower on the top so you will get as good coverage as you can get in the area.) If you're hungry or thirsty after all that, stop in at the Duck Point Smokehouse for some smoked salmon dip and a beverage as you watch the fire or water from the deck.image.thumb.jpeg.7658947568cd41e367397a531ce69471.jpeg

And yes, this is all doable by foot. This 71 year old did it last year (though the Office Bar was closed).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 5:30 PM, kennystwin said:

I started out to respond to this thread but got carried away with my love of Alaska and what a wonderful, "real Alaska" town Hoonah is.

By all means, take the beach trail and walk into town. When I was first there in May of 2018, the whales were active and I saw many as I walked into town. Even saw some bubble net feeding just off the harbor. Definitely eat at the Fishman's Daughter. Their "locally sourced" seafood is an understatement - the fishing boats dock literally across the street. It's all fresh and great. If in doubt, just ask and they will lead you straight. Sit at a picnic table outside as you eat and observe life in Hoonah. Look for the totem carver in town for some insight into Tlingit culture. For another authentic experience, stop in at the Office Bar - a real, Alaskan bar populated by real Alaskans (unlike that "Alaska Guide" you'll meet in the Juneau or Skagway who is really a seasonal worker from Iowa who has never spent a winter in Alaska).

Back in the ISP port area, check out the cannery for intersting info on the history of the salmon canning industry in Alaska.  Take the trams up the mountain for some great scenery. (As an added benefit, there's a cell phone tower on the top so you will get as good coverage as you can get in the area.) If you're hungry or thirsty after all that, stop in at the Duck Point Smokehouse for some smoked salmon dip and a beverage as you watch the fire or water from the deck.image.thumb.jpeg.7658947568cd41e367397a531ce69471.jpeg

And yes, this is all doable by foot. This 71 year old did it last year (though the Office Bar was closed).

Thank you so much. This is a great day itinerary. We are looking forward to ISP stop!