Snorkel Tour for Beginners?

Scottbro

My family of four (kids 13, 15) snorkeled once before in Bonaire and it was less than ideal. We didn't get much out of it as we didn't know what we were doing! We'd love to try again on our port stop in Roatan.

Is there a tour which caters toward beginner snorkelers?

Thanks!

We did one through Carnival that was with Jolly Roger catamaran tours. It was a lot of fun and I was comfortable snorkeling for my first time. They kept the ship nearby, plus a guy in a kayak following along in case anyone got tired and needed a tow back. We weren't that far from the land, but it was perfect! I even got to see a sea turtle swimming, so much fun!

15 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

We did one through Carnival that was with Jolly Roger catamaran tours. It was a lot of fun and I was comfortable snorkeling for my first time. They kept the ship nearby, plus a guy in a kayak following along in case anyone got tired and needed a tow back. We weren't that far from the land, but it was perfect! I even got to see a sea turtle swimming, so much fun!

If by "we didn't know what we were doing" means breathing through the snorkel.. maybe there is a dive shop in your area and a pool where you and your family can get more comfortable with the equipment.. this way you don't have to learn on holiday. Cause really snorkeling is just breathing and floating.  :0) 

Agree we don't know the exact challenges you encountered before, but like others I would do these things for kids (esp multiple kids).

1 get them their own mask/snorkel, fins are optional cuz they are heavy to pack/fly....but even then finding a good fitting flipper for a smaller kid can be a challenge, so consider the kit.  For sure the mask.  A good fitting mask is essential to a positive experience IMO.  Any leaks tend to have your kids kicking up every 30 seconds wanting to clear it, etc.  Ensure all hair is tucked away, sometimes a single hair is enough to trickle in a slow leak.  Too tight, tangled in the hair, too loose, leaking, fogging - all will lead to complaints from less patience kiddos.

2. Practice.  It can be the bath tub or nearby pool.  More time with their face down and getting comfortable, the better.  

3. I would avoid open water or boat-based trips for beginner kids.  Roatan West Bay should have places to start right off the beach.  You can stand, your kids can stand - get all situated first - then paddle out towards the reef.  Now I have not done Roatan from the beach, so I can't say how far out you have to swim (or more importantly how far the swim BACK IN is), so do your own research there.

In general (your kids may vary), but plan on most of your time monitoring/helping not actually trying to see below and guide them.  😜