Pacific Explorer barred from NZ Fjordlands

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

One wonders if the NZ Government does not want cruise ships at all in the Fjords? Or is it Fiords?

I believe there has been a push from certain factions in NZ to ban cruise ships from Fiordland but nothing official has come of it so far. I think the "new" hull biohazard ruling came in just before Covid hit so the effects of that are only just being felt this season.

Fiord is just a variant spelling of Fjord. Since NZ calls that region Fiordland I tend to use the Fiord spelling for there but would use Fjord when referring to other parts of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

One wonders if the NZ Government does not want cruise ships at all in the Fjords? Or is it Fiords?

Being honest.. the NZ people don't (would say most don't want them in the country at all). But the government.. they want the money and the Fiords are a big draw-card. There's got to be more to that story. In the end.. the short-answer is cruise-lines need to get their acts together or they won't be going there. 

• Like 3