Help for post-cruise driving trip from Aukland

maureenk

Hi all, I understand that it's preferable to do a land trip rather than a driving trip of New Zealand.  Since we've wanted to do it via cruise, we are hoping to add on a 5- to 7-day driving tour of the north island after our cruise which ends in Aukland.  I've done a bunch of reading on self-driving tours and interestingly, the majority of driving tours suggest going to where the cruise ship will have already stopped.  For the north island, the ship goes to Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, and Bay of Islands, granted for just a part of one day.  Is there a driving experience that people recommend for post cruise?  From Tauranga we will plan to do Hobbiton so we will miss the cultural and natural things in Rotorua.  Just trying to make the best use of our precious travel days.  Thanks in advance for suggestions - Maureen

Edited by maureenk

• maureenk changed the title to Help for post-cruise driving trip from Aukland
8 hours ago, JeffroK said:

Rotorua, Taupo, The Desert Road, New Plymouth.

But I'd change your excursion from Tauranga to visit Rotorua.

Thanks JeffroK!  So if we changed the excursion from Tauranga to Rotorua, what would you suggest for driving?  

I would visit Hobbiton from Mt Maunganui.  You could do a road trip north of Auckland taking in the Bay of Islands - plenty to see and do up that way.

Were you intending to come back to Auckland or fly out of Wellington?

A road trip to Auckland to Wellington could take in Rotorua, Taupo, National Park, Napier (art deco city).

if you are flying out of Auckland consider Rotorua, Taupo, National Park, Hamilton and back to Auckland.

Something for you to ponder over

My suggestion is because I dont rate Hobbiton that highly whereas Rotorua is a fantastic cultural location. You can then do

Day 1 Auckland - Hamilton - Taupo.

Day 2  Taupo - Desert Rd - Whangerei. 

Day 3 Whangerei - Mt Egmont/Taranaki - New Plymouth 

Day 4 New Plymouth - Hamilton - Auckland.

Take a day or 2 to see the Auckland area, West Coast beaches, Waiheke Island etc.

If you had an extra day you could find plenty of worthwhile spots on the way an you would have an equally interesting journey if you went north.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:57 AM, Kiwi Dreamer said:

I would visit Hobbiton from Mt Maunganui.  You could do a road trip north of Auckland taking in the Bay of Islands - plenty to see and do up that way.

Were you intending to come back to Auckland or fly out of Wellington?

A road trip to Auckland to Wellington could take in Rotorua, Taupo, National Park, Napier (art deco city).

if you are flying out of Auckland consider Rotorua, Taupo, National Park, Hamilton and back to Auckland.

Something for you to ponder over

Thank you so much!  - I noticed that we both joined cruise critic on the same day - Oct. 28, 2001.  Strange!

Just another couple of points for you.  we did opposite to you, touring NZ before boarding ship in Auckland for return to the UK.  had a one way car hire from Wellington to Auckland. We found staying in a self catering cabin on a campsite was often a pleasant option so we could make our own food. and meet lots of other international travellers. 

In Auckland we rented an apartment with a tiny kitchen and a washing machine, it was a 5 minute walk from the sky tower and the waterfront, could see the skytower from the balcony.

Definitely definitely see all the geothermal stuff, we visited a site where we walked to  natural different coloured mineral water effects in different pools, sorry Ive forgotten the name, it was amazing.  In Taupo we did a hiking trail along the river to the Huka falls. 

we wished we had had more time. NZ is a great place to enjoy. And some time we will get back again. 

• Like 1