Coffee

phil1107

On 3/7/2023 at 6:02 AM, Peregrina651 said:

I believe their hours are 6am until midnight but since hours can vary, check the daiies on board. 

I read on CruiseMapper that Viking Bar operates 24 hours.  I hope this is true as I have a 6am departure and would like a caffeine fix before heading to the airport.  Here's the quote:

"Viking Bar is the 24-hour open lobby bar for specialty coffees, classic and made-to-order cocktails, gourmet sweets, and light snacks (pastries, cakes, sandwiches). Viking Bar also serves both levels of The Living Room (the Atrium lounge)."

23 minutes ago, RexMesiter said:

I read on CruiseMapper that Viking Bar operates 24 hours.  I hope this is true as I have a 6am departure and would like a caffeine fix before heading to the airport.  Here's the quote:

"Viking Bar is the 24-hour open lobby bar for specialty coffees, classic and made-to-order cocktails, gourmet sweets, and light snacks (pastries, cakes, sandwiches). Viking Bar also serves both levels of The Living Room (the Atrium lounge)."

Not true. Coffee/tea is available 24/7 in the World Cafe. On departure day, the Living Room is open at 4:45 AM. Normal opening is 6:00 AM. Room service is 24/7.

Normal daily schedule: F544FF91-452F-4BFC-B0BE-1A0DBE032F99.thumb.jpeg.2790b3b3aa0c25442a6e5aa7ba8552e3.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

5 hours ago, RexMesiter said:

CruiseMapper is not a reliable source. The quote has at least 2 significant errors:

- The bar is not open 24 hrs per day. Hours are posted in the Viking Daily, with normal times being 06:00 to 23:59. It may open earlier for early arrivals.

- The Atrium covers 3 decks, not 2.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 6:32 AM, Peregrina651 said:

I prefer the coffee in the Living Room Bar, Deck 1.  Fresh ground espresso brewed in a professional grade espresso maker and close enough to MDR or World Cafe to grab a cup to carry into breakfast. The baristas that work this bar make a lot of coffee everyday and all day long. I've never had coffee in Mamsen/Explorers Lounge, so I can't compare the two venues.  

MDR coffee is acidy and watery -- or at least  the decaf is; I havent had a cup there since 2016, so i dont know if the situation has changed.   World Cafe is pods, press the buttons to choose what you want (or a server will do it for you)-- better than the MDR but not as good as the Living Room.  

First (and last) time I tried to get a real cup of coffee from the Aquavit Bar in the World Cafe at breakfast time, they looked at me funny and I never tried again. 

Nevertheless, coffee is available 24/7 (the World Cafe machine self-service handles the overnight shift) -- and unless you want a shot of booze in it,  coffee is free. Yes, including lattes and cappuccinos.  

I also make coffee at home, I like Americano with milk. All because I have a wonderful coffee machine https://connectvending.co.uk/coffee-machines/fresh-milk-coffee-machines/ ,thanks to which I have been making wonderful coffee for many years

But then again, the definition of good coffee is subjective and "your mileage may differ."

Thanks for the review, I love espresso too