What scene to use on a digital camera

Hi guys, think I've asked this question before, have a Kodak FZ151 digital camera, an like it alot. Have used it on all cruises, an have used the beach scene, as somebody had said, that's the best scene to use. Will be heading up to Alaska in Sept, an now am wonderin, which scene to use, the landscape or beach scene, any suggestions, for getting pictures at eagles? Thanks.

9 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, think I've asked this question before, have a Kodak FZ151 digital camera, an like it alot. Have used it on all cruises, an have used the beach scene, as somebody had said, that's the best scene to use. Will be heading up to Alaska in Sept, an now am wonderin, which scene to use, the landscape or beach scene, any suggestions, for getting pictures at eagles? Thanks.

"Brach" or "Snow" scenes are usually configured to overexpose by about 1 stop. Metering averages the entire scene to come up with the "proper" exposure and with bright snow or sand (or a grandson's hockey game), the images tend to come out sort of darker and muddy looking if you don't overexpose a bit. For Alaska, I would think that landscape would do best in most situations, including eagles in trees or other land environment. If you end up in a situation where you are in snow, such as a glacier walk or eagles flying against a bright sky, the "Snow" or "beach" mode would do well. 

If you encounter flying eagles suddenly, don't lose the shot fumbling with settings. One stop of brightness correction isn't that big a deal with almost any photo editor, so just take the shot.

Dave

pierces covered your question quite well.  My only addition would be that if the wildlife is not backlit (near water or in a wooded area, for examples), then whatever the Sport mode equivalent is on your camera (icon might be a person running or simply the word Sport or Action) would be useful.  That will increase your shutter speed to reduce the blur caused by moving subjects.

• 3 weeks later...