Port of Norfolk

Seasoned cruisers here, but never from Norfolk. I've heard some horror stories about really long boarding times. I don't know if that was one time, or still going on.

If you've sailed from Norfolk on any cruise line please let me know your experience. We will be sailing August 19 on Carnival Magic.

The port terminal is located in a busy downtown area, and can require patience. If you park and take the shuttle bus, it can go faster than being dropped off. My last two cruises (May and October) out of Norfolk went pretty smoothly. If everyone waited for their designated arrival time, it would be even better. Luggage is handled straight through on the shuttle buses or by curbside porters at the terminal for those arriving on their own. It can look chaotic and confusing, and people are milling about, but once inside they are pretty organized.

Wife and I  are cruising on Magic on September 2.  We are from Richmond, VA  so it is a little over an hour drive to Norfolk.  When we have cruised out of Baltimore or Bayonne we stayed at a Park & Cruise hotel and that worked out really well.  For Norfolk we are planning on driving down the morning of the cruise.  I have read that parking in the cruise parking lot can be a hustle.  My big worry is getting there and finding the parking lot full and having to quickly find another lot for the 8 day cruise.   Any suggestions or comments for parking would be appreciated.  Can you reserve a spot in the cruise parking lot before the day of the cruise?  Maybe I am just over thinking this.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, jammin6097 said:

Wife and I  are cruising on Magic on September 2.  We are from Richmond, VA  so it is a little over an hour drive to Norfolk.  When we have cruised out of Baltimore or Bayonne we stayed at a Park & Cruise hotel and that worked out really well.  For Norfolk we are planning on driving down the morning of the cruise.  I have read that parking in the cruise parking lot can be a hustle.  My big worry is getting there and finding the parking lot full and having to quickly find another lot for the 8 day cruise.   Any suggestions or comments for parking would be appreciated.  Can you reserve a spot in the cruise parking lot before the day of the cruise?  Maybe I am just over thinking this.  Thanks

Following this as we are driving in from Northern VA (almost 3 hrs) for an 8 night cruise on July 8. I've heard stories about really long lines for parking. I don't even know what to expect there. We've waited in parking lines at Baltimore so I'm hoping this isn't any worse? 

I am going to be traveling on the Carnival Magic out of Norfolk in September.  We will be arriving by van with many family members and lots of suitcases.  We are elderly and have difficulty lifting suitcases.  Should we drop off our luggage before going to the parking garage or wait and load our luggage onto the shuttle bus? 

We are very excited that we can drive to Norfolk from Washington, DC and do not have to deal with flying this time.  Getting through airports is difficult for us due to mobility issues. 

On 3/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, Nanciekitten said:

I am going to be traveling on the Carnival Magic out of Norfolk in September.  We will be arriving by van with many family members and lots of suitcases.  We are elderly and have difficulty lifting suitcases.  Should we drop off our luggage before going to the parking garage or wait and load our luggage onto the shuttle bus? 

We are very excited that we can drive to Norfolk from Washington, DC and do not have to deal with flying this time.  Getting through airports is difficult for us due to mobility issues. 

Wife and I are sailing out of Norfolk September 2.  We were also worried about the parking situation since we will be driving from Richmond.  I found this information on the Sept 2 Magic board.  I am pretty sure you can drop off your bags as soon as you enter the parking lot.  Hope this helps.

https://nauticus.org/cruise-parking-directions/

I think/hope Carnival has improved the situation after the horrible problems they had last year, with cars being broken into, rammed, and major delays... the lot holds 1200 cars so should be ample considering a lot of people ride together, get dropped off, fly in, etc. I haven't heard of the lot filling.

We will be driving in the morning of from Raleigh. First time out of Norfolk for us.

I am not aware of an airport shuttle to cruise terminal. Uber or cab may be your best bet.  If traffic is heavy at port I suggest getting dropped off at Waterside or the pagoda, depending which direction you are arriving.  Then it is a lovely 5 minute walk along the waterfront from either if you can manage your luggage.  

Norfolk is not a typical cruise port with year round cruises and does not have the infrastructure like at the Florida ports or even Baltimore.  I was on the Magic last May when it was a total nightmare.  From everything I have heard and read, there have been a lot of improvements especially with the parking.  I would not worry about the lot being full.  If all else fails, you can park in one of the downtown garages.  They say no cruise parking but they have no way of knowing why you are parking there. 

Something to consider, the terminal is on the second level so unless you can manage your luggage up the stairs, you have to wait for an elevator.  There are a lot of 1st time cruisers that cruise from Norfolk and they are not familiar with dropping their bags with the porters.  I've cruised 30+ times and I couldn't find the porters to take my luggage but I only had carry ons so it wasn't a big deal.  I saw many people trying to manage two pieces of the largest luggage I have ever seen and it was only a 6 day cruise.  That caused major slow downs for the elevators, security and check in. 

I agree with not trying to get dropped off right at the terminal.  I usually Uber to the port and pick the Hilton Main as a drop off point.  The terminal is half a block with sidewalks and crosswalks, sometimes even a police officer directing traffic.  

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, Nanciekitten said:

If you use the cruise parking lot, itisso easy to drive up to where the buses. Are loading and just drop off your luggage, then drive to a parking spot. If anyone in th3 vehicle has a handicap sticker or hang tag, you will be directed to park just to the left of where the buses are located…short walk. Once each BU’s is loaded they head to the cruise center. Your luggage will be unloaded and you should stay there at the luggage unloading are until you see all your luggage is there.  Tip your luggage porter!  Keep your carryon with you for meds, valuables, etc.  

pits very simple really. The parking lot is totally fenced in, locked, well lit and has uniformed Norfolk Police patrolling throughout the lot 24 hrs a day. The city of Norfolk has spent $1M to make this lot secure and safe. This happened after a bad start to Norfolk cruise season post Covid when many cars were broken into and/or damaged. 
The ship is about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal, but the route the buses have to take, along with traffic lights make it seem longer. 

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn’t count on it. It will be a long walk of about 6 or 7 blocks and hoping a suitcase wheel doesn’t break. It happens!

every intersection will be packed with cars either coming or returning to the port. The busses are actually much easier and of course there is no charge if you parked at the cruise port parking lot. 

I did the walk from the parking lot to the cruise terminal, it is about 7 blocks with brick sidewalks once you get closer to downtown, and the sidewalks can be a little narrow. If you drop off your large suitcases at the port it is doable.  once you cross over the busiest road, Hampton blvd, which does have crosswalks, head toward the river and walk down Granby street; it is a nice walk through downtown. Or if you want to walk through the historic neighborhood with beautiful old homes head to W. Bute street.  This will take you to the river, then follow it to the oriental garden and the USS Wisconsin which is at the cruise port. All in all probably about a 20 minute walk.  

Anyone been at the Norfolk port lately? How has it been? If getting dropped off by limo, where is best location so there is a porter for luggage? Also, what do you find as the best arrival time, if I dont want to be there first thing in the morning?

You may have the limo pull up to the pier and drop you off, there is a circular driveway so cars and buses may discharge passengers.  The porters are right there to take your luggage.  I can’t say how the lines will be, I usually get there early.  If you wish to drop your luggage off and it seems crowded you may wish to take a short walk through the historic Freemason area, large homes some of them from the nineteenth century, on a tree lined street.  There is also a nice coffee shop and a cheese shop about a 10 minute walk from the pier, both of which have outdoor tables and serve sandwiches and freshly made bakery items.  They both offer beer and wine too.  

• Thanks 2

On 4/8/2023 at 12:31 PM, sealovers said:

If you use the cruise parking lot, itisso easy to drive up to where the buses. Are loading and just drop off your luggage, then drive to a parking spot. If anyone in th3 vehicle has a handicap sticker or hang tag, you will be directed to park just to the left of where the buses are located…short walk. Once each BU’s is loaded they head to the cruise center. Your luggage will be unloaded and you should stay there at the luggage unloading are until you see all your luggage is there.  Tip your luggage porter!  Keep your carryon with you for meds, valuables, etc.  

pits very simple really. The parking lot is totally fenced in, locked, well lit and has uniformed Norfolk Police patrolling throughout the lot 24 hrs a day. The city of Norfolk has spent $1M to make this lot secure and safe. This happened after a bad start to Norfolk cruise season post Covid when many cars were broken into and/or damaged. 
The ship is about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal, but the route the buses have to take, along with traffic lights make it seem 

Edited by 300dtc
Found answer

• 2 weeks later...

I cruised from Norfolk on the 14th.  It was very smooth and much better organized than last year.  Cars were having no problem pulling up to the circular drive where the porters were readily available to take your luggage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

We usually get dropped off at the pagoda next to the Wisconsin.  You may also ask to be dropped off at the World Trade Center which is right across the street from the terminal.  It has a driveway that circles around so you can park without holding up traffic and then easy for you and those dropping off/picking up