Recommendation of an Amsterdam Canal Tour

On 3/10/2023 at 3:06 PM, cyntil8ing said:

We did the canal cruise, visited the Anne Frank House with the introductory program (which I highly recommend!) and the Van Gogh Museum. Very busy day!

You're lucky that your port is move convenient. That was a lesson learned for us when booking European cruises. It was the same with "Brussels". The port was actually in Zeebruge, which was closer to Bruges, but still a 20 minute transfer. Brussels was over an hour away.

We had an issue using our credit card on the tram. The Chase credit card we used required a signature, so the tram driver could not accept it, but he waived us on without paying. I did have a Capital One debit card that probably would have worked.

Yes, I am very happy that the ship is docking in the main cruise terminal in Amsterdam as it makes getting to the city much easier. 

Oh boy, I would hope our credit card wouldn't be an issue also as we have the same credit card...Chase. That was very nice of the driver to waive you on without paying. Where is the tram located? Central Station? 

We are also stopping in Zeebruge and are trying to figure out the best way to get to Bruges. If you went to Bruges did you take a transfer on your own or do it through your cruise line? What did you do there?

On 3/11/2023 at 4:05 AM, Scottishclover said:

We were all completely moved by our visit. Well worth it. Our children are older though - 17 and 19. I teach 11 year olds and to be honest, I think only a handful of them would get the significance of Anne Frank’s House. Only you will know if your son will appreciate it. It definitely helps to have read “ Diary of a Young Girl” beforehand. Another poster mentioned the introductory programme. I was unable to get tickets for that, I think you need to be in quick when tickets go on sale.You need to book tickets in advance and if you are in Amsterdam before a cruise, I recommend booking the latest available time slot. We did that and the museum wasn’t crowded at all.

We were suppose to do this cruise back in 2020 when he would have 8. We read the book "Who Is Anne Frank" so he would know who she is in case we went to Anne Frank's House then. Thank you for the book recommendation. I will have to look into getting that book. We have a few more months to decide if we will book the tickets to Anne Frank's House. Thank you for you opinion. Its nice to know that you think it would be over the heads of most 11 year olds.

12 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you so much for this information. Our 11 year old son would probably enjoy taking the tram. Is the tram located in Central Station? How far is that from the main cruise terminal in Amsterdam?

I’m sure he would! Although it’s a very short journey - only 5 minutes or so, as the cruise terminal and station are only about three quarters of a mile apart. The #26 tram stops outside the front of Central Station and in the street just outside the cruise terminal and runs very frequently, every 5-10 minutes.

14 minutes ago, Ladybug18 said:

We are also stopping in Zeebruge and are trying to figure out the best way to get to Bruges. If you went to Bruges did you take a transfer on your own or do it through your cruise line? What did you do there?

Most cruise lines offer a “Bruges on your own” tour - basically a shuttle between the Zeebrugge cruise terminal and Bruges, although you’ll have to walk the last mile or so as tour buses aren’t allowed into the historic centre.

You’ll also find at least one company at the cruise terminal selling shuttle rides to Bruges as an alternative to the cruise line’s tour.

Alternatively the cruise line may offer a cheaper - or even free - shuttle to the nearby town of Blankenberge, from where it’s a quick (15 min) and cheap train ride to Bruges. The trains are efficient but only run once an hour.

Finally there’s the super-budget (but quite fun for kids) option of taking the coastal tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge, then the train into Bruges. 

44 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

I’m sure he would! Although it’s a very short journey - only 5 minutes or so, as the cruise terminal and station are only about three quarters of a mile apart. The #26 tram stops outside the front of Central Station and in the street just outside the cruise terminal and runs very frequently, every 5-10 minutes.

Thank you! Just to be clear... we can board tram #26 right outside the main passenger cruise terminal and the tram will take us to the front of Central Station? Is that the main area near where we can buy tickets for a canal tour? 

33 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

Most cruise lines offer a “Bruges on your own” tour - basically a shuttle between the Zeebrugge cruise terminal and Bruges, although you’ll have to walk the last mile or so as tour buses aren’t allowed into the historic centre.

You’ll also find at least one company at the cruise terminal selling shuttle rides to Bruges as an alternative to the cruise line’s tour.

Alternatively the cruise line may offer a cheaper - or even free - shuttle to the nearby town of Blankenberge, from where it’s a quick (15 min) and cheap train ride to Bruges. The trains are efficient but only run once an hour.

Finally there’s the super-budget (but quite fun for kids) option of taking the coastal tram from Zeebrugge to Blankenberge, then the train into Bruges. 

Wow, thank you so much Gumshoe958, you are full of useful information! Our cruise does offer a "Bruges on you own" tour but not having been to Bruges we are wondering if it would be better to do a tour with some information given by a tour guide about the city. We also want to do the 30 min canal tour offered with the cruise tour. 

1 hour ago, Ladybug18 said:

Thank you! Just to be clear... we can board tram #26 right outside the main passenger cruise terminal and the tram will take us to the front of Central Station? Is that the main area near where we can buy tickets for a canal tour? 

Yes on both counts. As you exit the terminal you need to cross the main road that runs past it and you’ll see the tram stop off to the right, just before the bridge. It’s only one stop, literally a 3 minute ride.

The station and the busy open space outside it where trams from all over the city stop are built on their own little island surrounded by canals, and as you leave to walk towards the city (just follow the crowds) you’ll see the canal cruise places: there are several different companies.

2 hours ago, Ladybug18 said:

Wow, thank you so much Gumshoe958, you are full of useful information! Our cruise does offer a "Bruges on you own" tour but not having been to Bruges we are wondering if it would be better to do a tour with some information given by a tour guide about the city. We also want to do the 30 min canal tour offered with the cruise tour. 

Up to you I guess: the historic centre of Bruges is fairly compact and one of its real pleasures is just wandering around at your own pace, getting a bit lost as you soak up the beautiful architecture and views and stopping off for a beer and a waffle or three! But obviously a guide would be able to explain the context of what you’re seeing and help you avoid getting too lost! 

Canal trips are easily sorted on the day, there are many competing companies operating more or less continuously. 

Just bear in mind whether you go it alone or join a tour, there’s quite a lot of walking involved as the centre is largely traffic-free and whether you arrive by cruise line bus or train you’ll have about a 15 minute walk there and back.

My wife and I will be in Amsterdam for a week in early October 2023. A canal cruise is one activity that we plan to do. I am concerned about the weather at that time. I believe that it will be much like our weather in Seattle at that time - cloudy, cool, with rain a strong possibility. Any recommendations for a "covered or enclosed" canal cruise line?

Madie/Jim