DINING ON EXPEDITION SHIPS

Insanityx4

I have been thinking about what to pack for our upcoming Octantis cruise in two weeks. On all of our other Viking cruises I have packed clothes for day use and other clothes for dinners in the various dining venues. Do most people eat dinner in the World Cafe with the new more casual grill/sushi bar as opposed to dressing up for the Restaurant or Manfredi's? Both are listed as alternative dining restaurants on the Expedition ships. It will make a big difference as to what I will pack. Any input would be helpful. In the past we have only had dinner in the World Cafe after returning from late excursions, but on ships without the delicious looking grill. Thanks!

The alternative dining restaurants on Expedition ships are small compared to a “Main Dining Room” table service venue on larger cruise ships. This smaller capacity forces/encourages more diners to use the buffet-style World Cafe, as they are not designed to serve most of the passengers each evening.
Since we enjoy table service we dined there a couple of times, and I chose a nicer top than my daywear, but I didn’t really dress up. If this appeals to you, take a few things to feel a bit more upscale, but don’t plan to eat in the alternatives *every* evening because it is unlikely they will be available every night. 

• Like 2

When we were on the Octantis last Oct, reservations were required for The Restaurant and Manfredi’s, as both venues are smaller than on the Ocean ships.  But, there was a greatly expanded variety of choices on the World Cafe and grill area, especially in the seafood.  
if you don’t mind the dining area of The World Cafe, scale back your need for change of clothes.  😉

Becki

• Like 2