Live from NOLA and NCL Breakaway - 3/12 thru 3/19 😀⚓️🕖☘️🍸

CTCruiser001

Not to keep on this wine topic that might only be interesting to me.... but that new rule makes no sense since it uses the $15 cut off that's from the original beverage package, NOT the premium plus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, luv2kroooz said:

I think people are just tapped out with tips, gratuities, surcharges, and fees. You can add us to the list, by the way. We used to offer a cash tip of $1 or $2 when we received good bar service. But, a couple is now paying $40 per day service charges, plus $43.60 per day for beverage charges, plus more when we dine in specialty dining. At some point, the spigot runs out of water and, for us, we have reached our max. Candidly, we will be considering a reduction to the $40 per day service charge and intend to pay at the $32 per couple per day which is more accurately aligned with industry standards. We don't believe NCL is passing the recent service charge increase along to their crew, anyway.

I am about to travel on the Breakaway 4/9. I haven't cruised since 2019. I put a considerable amount of money in NCL stock a couple of years ago thinking the cruise industry would benefit from the pent-up demand of travel, but the stock has floundered. NCL use to be a good company but I have seen/read things that give me pause. I don't see this nickel-and-diming as good for NCL long-term. If we do see a weakness in the economy people are going to flee NCL and I fear won't be back. There are so many negative reviews of NCL recently! What is going on???  I am using my next cruise to see what it's like to be on NCL these days. It will give me better insight into if I should sell and take my losses on the stock. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, freebirds80 said:

There are so many negative reviews of NCL recently! What is going on???  I am using my next cruise to see what it's like to be on NCL these days. It will give me better insight into if I should sell and take my losses on the stock. 

Suggest you visit some of the forums for other mainstream cruise lines.  You'll find the same negative reviews.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjm11 said:

Not to keep on this wine topic that might only be interesting to me.... but that new rule makes no sense since it uses the $15 cut off that's from the original beverage package, NOT the premium plus.

Agreed. I hoped to hear from the F&B manager, but no call back. 😕 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, freebirds80 said:

Is there a price sheet for the liquor bottles they sell on board in the store? If so, can you post a picture?

Stopped and snapped pics on the way to dinner...Hope you can see pricing...

20230318_174821.thumb.jpg.097c32e49d3e5db84aea7dff3da97b8d.jpg

20230318_174830.thumb.jpg.b88c979122a5aa919736260d315b8379.jpg

20230318_174833.thumb.jpg.abce322ba39551932224ecc5f68bdfd9.jpg

20230318_174842.thumb.jpg.3d45ab90abff435411d6e59cdf236b0c.jpg

20230318_174845.thumb.jpg.1d192196791f7d7697dfcf02bbac0f09.jpg

20230318_174849.thumb.jpg.ab07f2321aded069df083c47b1caacd0.jpg

20230318_174855.thumb.jpg.f47b0c209bf69a2351f66d86db31a674.jpg

20230318_174903.thumb.jpg.eede046a7be8da5823c2e9be198569f2.jpg

20230318_174911.thumb.jpg.71b2a37f58885ced564d147da3b8e208.jpg

20230318_174922.thumb.jpg.6c103a5e698e43c9816f5c91fd041bd7.jpg

20230318_174925.thumb.jpg.c73c5f49f63885ac21dae74bc1c11ff2.jpg

20230318_174932.thumb.jpg.454b9a071491898bc25b00a32feebe4c.jpg

20230318_174938.thumb.jpg.f978e1a9c2cf62602a0fd3fac65ed639.jpg

20230318_174947.thumb.jpg.5fc57a8863f50fcd39e5c00cd1223b10.jpg

20230318_174955.thumb.jpg.3618b8475c293948951d1bf84d8f3d63.jpg

20230318_175010.thumb.jpg.7f7287f085a50a8258d7c3f51e936438.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

We expect a report on your weigh in NLT Monday.

FWIW, wife and I kept our gain to approximatel five pounds total.

Funny...The belt feels looser so it's hard to tell. My feet and legs have NOT swollen up at all like they usually do... We'll know Monday morning when I get on the scale at home! I will report back for sure!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freebirds80 said:

I am about to travel on the Breakaway 4/9. I haven't cruised since 2019. I put a considerable amount of money in NCL stock a couple of years ago thinking the cruise industry would benefit from the pent-up demand of travel, but the stock has floundered. NCL use to be a good company but I have seen/read things that give me pause. I don't see this nickel-and-diming as good for NCL long-term. If we do see a weakness in the economy people are going to flee NCL and I fear won't be back. There are so many negative reviews of NCL recently! What is going on???  I am using my next cruise to see what it's like to be on NCL these days. It will give me better insight into if I should sell and take my losses on the stock. 

Stockholder here too...We've gotten several shareholders credits from holding the stock, so if it crashed, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm expecting possibly a takeover/buy out from another cruise line in the next 12 - 18 months. NCL needs to bring up their cash reserves- Critically low at the moment. 

2 hours ago, rjm11 said:

have you had the Amuse Bouche blend? I tried it at a tasting once and liked it (though they don't say what year here). Retail is around $225- list price here is $295 so with the discount it would be a nice price.

Thanks for the suggestion...It is pretty good!

20230318_181315.thumb.jpg.37db1e0ed3df9c7745bfbc463c3a1f24.jpg

20230318_181154.thumb.jpg.6cdf484da863b6069813eeab92ad6c8c.jpg

6 minutes ago, CTCruiser001 said:

Funny...The belt feels looser so it's hard to tell. My feet and legs have NOT swollen up at all like they usually do... We'll know Monday morning when I get on the scale at home! I will report back for sure!

Will be looking for the report.

FWIW, went to the Doc n Box this AM with very sore throat. 

Doc says it's a virus which I probably contracted last week on Breakaway.  Mostly likely one of the last two days.

Tested negative for flu and for COVID.

Gave me one of those useless Z-packs which never do any good for me.  Wouldn't write for Cipro which always works.  Also a steroid shot and a some stuff to relieve the sore throat.  

Feeling better already.  Must be the steroids because I gave the Z-Pac to the wife.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Doc says it's a virus which I probably contracted last week on Breakaway.  Mostly likely one of the last two days.

Gave me one of those useless Z-packs which never do any good for me.  Wouldn't write for Cipro which always works.  Also a steroid shot and a some stuff to relieve the sore throat.  

Feeling better already.  Must be the steroids because I gave the Z-Pac to the wife.

Oh no! I hope you feel better soon!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Your friendly local er nurse would like to remind everyone that antibiotics only help the bacteria develop resistance when you take them for viral illness 😁.  That being said, strep is running rampant at my er so I hope they checked for that and I hope you have a quick recovery.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, witchofthewastes said:

Your friendly local er nurse would like to remind everyone that antibiotics only help the bacteria develop resistance when you take them for viral illness 😁.  That being said, strep is running rampant at my er so I hope they checked for that and I hope you have a quick recovery.

I know anti-biotics don't work on viruses.  The doc said he was prescribing the ZPac as a preventative for secondary bacteria infections and that Cipro would be 'overkill'.  Every time I have been prescribed ZPACs for infections, I've had to go back and get a Cipro prescription.  So, he prescribed something that won't work for me and wouldn't prescribe something that has worked in the past.  He did say he didn't do Cipro because of the side-effects.  He wouldn't budge even when I told him I had taken Cipro five or six times with no adverse reactions.  Well, based upon my past history, it's not 'overkill'.  If anything the Zpac is 'underkill', all it does for me is help the bacteria develop resistance. 

Just because a doctor has a medical degree they think they know more about what works for me and what doesn't.   I have over seventy years experience in know what works for me and what doesn't.

If I'm not feeling better monday, I'll call my GP who will prescribe the Cipro.   I've been seeing him for 15+ years.  He knows what works for me and what doesn't.   His office is closed today.

I remember a young medical corps Captain when I was in the service.  I had a sinus infection.  He asked me "what can I do for you today"?  OK, he asked, I told him that I needed a prescription for three medications which I named.  He asked me where I got my medical degree?  I admitted I had none. He asked why he should write those three prescriptions. I replied, I've been here five times in the past with these symptons and have always received those three prescriptions.  He flipped through my files and wrote those same three prescriptions.  He was a good guy.  He said in the future we could save time for both of us if I would just tell his nurse who I am and to fetch those three prescriptions.  Worked well until I left the service.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

I know anti-biotics don't work on viruses.  The doc said he was prescribing the ZPac as a preventative for secondary bacteria infections and that Cipro would be 'overkill'.  Every time I have been prescribed ZPACs for infections, I've had to go back and get a Cipro prescription.  So, he prescribed something that won't work for me and wouldn't prescribe something that has worked in the past.  He did say he didn't do Cipro because of the side-effects.  He wouldn't budge even when I told him I had taken Cipro five or six times with no adverse reactions.  Well, based upon my past history, it's not 'overkill'.  If anything the Zpac is 'underkill', all it does for me is help the bacteria develop resistance. 

Just because a doctor has a medical degree they think they know more about what works for me and what doesn't.   I have over seventy years experience in know what works for me and what doesn't.

If I'm not feeling better monday, I'll call my GP who will prescribe the Cipro.   I've been seeing him for 15+ years.  He knows what works for me and what doesn't.   His office is closed today.

I remember a young medical corps Captain when I was in the service.  I had a sinus infection.  He asked me "what can I do for you today"?  OK, he asked, I told him that I needed a prescription for three medications which I named.  He asked me where I got my medical degree?  I admitted I had none. He asked why he should write those three prescriptions. I replied, I've been here five times in the past with these symptons and have always received those three prescriptions.  He flipped through my files and wrote those same three prescriptions.  He was a good guy.  He said in the future we could save time for both of us if I would just tell his nurse who I am and to fetch those three prescriptions.  Worked well until I left the service.

Cipro can cause acute renal injury and trigger colitis, so I understand why the provider was hesitant to write for it. Either way, I hope you feel better soon, and I’m sorry your doc visit was frustrating. Hopefully you can build that kind of rapport you had in the service with another provider.

• Like 1