Here’s to NOT “The Worst Cruise I’ve Ever Taken”!!! Sailing the Mera today- first time MSC, YC and Aurea Suite

L1211

13 minutes ago, CruiseScrooge said:

I had to do elder care for quite a while and now that i'm cruising again i was disappointed to find out Carnival killed the tiny hidden away free fish and chips station on the Conquest class ships and put in a pay place. Norwegian and their O'sheehans/The Local pub is my choice. Costa,MSC,Carnival, NCL i've cruised but got the the other non luxury lines already booked or in the crosshairs.

NCL "diner" is the best.  Nothing beats fries and a cheese dog at O'Shaughnesseys

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gatordad1967 said:

NCL "diner" is the best.  Nothing beats fries and a cheese dog at O'Shaughnesseys

My DH was saying they just needed the 24 hr place on NCL- we’ve been there many an early morning for chicken wings before turning in!  I totally get it!!

• Like 1

Wine tonight at dinner- ONLY a Robert mondovi PS cab- would not drink that at home, won’t drink on vacation.  My husband has had a nice Malbec each evening. Last night a lovely Shiraz. Called over the sommelier and asked bout this wines.  He literally says “no, this is what we have.”  My husband says “not really acceptable.”  Then the sommelier says “we can get it from downstairs if you demand”. What????  You’d get a cocktail without question.  Crappy!!!  They brought up a bottle. Geeze

on a better not, tonight’s Chardonnay is Kendal Jackson and I’m excited!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Wine tonight at dinner- ONLY a Robert mondovi PS cab- would not drink that at home, won’t drink on vacation.  My husband has had a nice Malbec each evening. Last night a lovely Shiraz. Called over the sommelier and asked bout this wines.  He literally says “no, this is what we have.”  My husband says “not really acceptable.”  Then the sommelier says “we can get it from downstairs if you demand”. What????  You’d get a cocktail without question.  Crappy!!!  They brought up a bottle. Geeze

Seems ridiculous that you guys are having to stand up for yourselves. Why are the wines available downstairs but not in the YC (or is downstairs in the YC but not upstairs)? Does someone need to make a supply run downstairs?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, L1211 said:

I’m so surprised to hear this! Is Rudolph the sommelier?

26 minutes ago, L1211 said:

And the mozzarella bar!!

Enjoying your review, we will be on the Meraviglia in June in YC. A little concerned about some of the things you are experiencing. We didn’t have any of these problems when we were on her in November so not happy to hear about the apparent decline in service. Sorry if I missed this earlier, but is this a 4 night cruise or 7 day?

10 minutes ago, mackfam said:

Enjoying your review, we will be on the Meraviglia in June in YC. A little concerned about some of the things you are experiencing. We didn’t have any of these problems when we were on her in November so not happy to hear about the apparent decline in service. Sorry if I missed this earlier, but is this a 4 night cruise or 7 day?

It is 4 nights and I’m convinced that pushes the staff to their limits.  They work so hard for you! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nycfa said:

Hmmmmm….printing off Aurea benefits page now to add to my cruise folder JIC

Always good to have this in writing but I doubt you have anything to fear. Op could press the issue bc they (Aurea spa) are clearly in the wrong but judging from this live review they are having too much fun to mess with it. And having too much fun is always a good thing 😊

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, christa920 said:

I’m so surprised to hear this! Is Rudolph the sommelier?

So, Rudolf returns with the Malbec and is so delightful.  Like a different person.  He poured wine and enjoyed conversation - it was ofd

but he totally recovered.  I just feel they are so stressed and over worked… 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, amygutman said:

We have been having so much fun reading this review (and taking lots of notes). 

Thank you for taking the time out of your vacation to help make our vacation (13 hours and counting) even better!

Warmest, Amy

So glad!  Thank you for following along.  I love to create the memories and give back the help!!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, NorthernCouple said:

Seems ridiculous that you guys are having to stand up for yourselves. Why are the wines available downstairs but not in the YC (or is downstairs in the YC but not upstairs)? Does someone need to make a supply run downstairs?

There is definitely a difference.  The “downstairs” YC lounge has a wine by the glass menu.  The restaurant had a “wine by the bottle” menu and just a select offering each evening.  But, not unlike cocktails, they can get you the offered wines by the glass. I do not love the Clos du Bois Chardonnay they have so last night they got me the Conundrum from downstairs- we tipped  her for the trouble. Odd that is was an issue tonight… I think it all goes back to staffing.

Am I the only one who enjoys the simplicity of the Mera’s design.  The ship is 8 years old.  It is aging well.  Very well maintained. Those old carnival ships- I just can’t…

F22A8FF4-6C20-4B93-BDBA-02F4DF77C427.jpeg

5FABECD3-55B3-41E5-8B26-2F96A7633A7F.jpeg

• Like 1