Wind Spirit or Wind Star Panama Canal Shore Excursions

robert_on_vacation

Hi Robert,

Can't tell you about Windstar excursions, but we were in Panama in January for a couple of days.

It was our second time in Panama (always good availability for airmiles on Iberia from Madrid!) and we went to Taboga Island - a simple day excursion from the end of the causeway. Taboga Express was who we used - book tickets for Taboga at least a day in advance, the Panamanians love going here!

While there are street food shacks on he beach, here is also a fabulous hotel, Villa Caprichosa for lunch. Great cocktails, amazing food and fabulous views!  It is a bit of a walk from the ferry, up the hill - hence the views! - but I think hey will meet you with a gold cart if you book. (and I would book and ask for the window seats.)

Back at the beach, people were swimming in the sea and there are shower cubicles for changing at $1 or $2. 

The ferry to and from Taboga passes through the Panama roads, so a great view of all the shipping waiting for canal transits. 

Back in Panama, Caso Viejo is worth a wander around - and there are some good rooftop restaurants. We ate at Casa Casco on Plaza Herrera on one of their two-seat balconies (there's a lift in the building) and the food was amazing.

If you are really into history and ruins, then Panama Viejo is worth a visit. A bit like visiting old Roman ruins!

I am assuming you'll see plenty of the canal from the ship!

We have done the Costa Rica/Panama cruise nine times and have probably done all of the excursions. All of them were fine. Probably my favorites are Monkey island (there was a lot of wildlife but we especially like being in a small boat in the middle of the canal); zip lining, River float, Manuel Antonio Park, Mangrove tours. It just depends on your interest and ability level.

• 4 months later...