Freeport ?

Thad409

There's a little "village" within walking distance of the port that the locals open when a large cruise ship is coming into Freeport (not the Margaritaville ship that goes there every 2 days).  There are a few shops, and a Senor Frogs.  That's about it.

Is it worth getting off the ship?  That's a question only you can answer.  But seriously, Freeport is not known as one of the glamorous Caribbean ports of call.  It's actually not even in the Caribbean.

Also, you are going to be there in July.  It is going to be blazing hot.  Of course, you are from Texas, so you might be used to that.  But if you do get off, wear sunscreen and a hat.

We were just in Freeport 2 weeks ago.  We booked a private excursion and it was wonderful!  The water in the Bahamas is beautiful.  If you like the beach get a cab to a beach and hang out for the day.  Our excursion took us to Lucaya National Park and then we spent the day at Banana Bay.  There was a restaurant for food and drinks right on the beach.  The food and drinks were so good.  If we go again I will just spend the entire day there.

14 minutes ago, Jenny in TX said:

We were just in Freeport 2 weeks ago.  We booked a private excursion and it was wonderful!  The water in the Bahamas is beautiful.  If you like the beach get a cab to a beach and hang out for the day.  Our excursion took us to Lucaya National Park and then we spent the day at Banana Bay.  There was a restaurant for food and drinks right on the beach.  The food and drinks were so good.  If we go again I will just spend the entire day there.

Thanks for your review.  If you don't mind, could you share the private excursion company information?  We'll be there in August and just want to go to a nice beach with food, drinks and a clean restroom.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Thanks for your review.  If you don't mind, could you share the private excursion company information?  We'll be there in August and just want to go to a nice beach with food, drinks and a clean restroom.

Thanks

We used www.mammagal.com and requested Charlie as our tour guide.  He was wonderful!  We did the East End experience and it was $80 per person.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the information, we are beach people, banana bay it is. Yep we're Texas born and bred, but hot is hot no matter where in the world you are, thanks for the sunscreen advice. I'm a redhead and fair complected so it's always a must. Thanks again for all the responses.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Jenny in TX said:

We used www.mammagal.com and requested Charlie as our tour guide.  He was wonderful!  We did the East End experience and it was $80 per person.

I want to do this excursion, but their website is very vague. Where did they pick you guys up at? Did you use mammagal.com or TripAdvisor to book. It’s just myself and two teen daughters going will they put us with another group ? 

30 minutes ago, Anieto89 said:

I want to do this excursion, but their website is very vague. Where did they pick you guys up at? Did you use mammagal.com or TripAdvisor to book. It’s just myself and two teen daughters going will they put us with another group ? 

We booked it straight through Mamma Gals website that I posted above.  They picked us up at the port at 9am Nassau time in front of the Harley Davidson store.  I am assuming they will put you with another group, but you will need to ask that question.  I emailed them before we booked and they got back to me very quickly.  We had a party of 10, so we booked up the entire van.

We were just at Paradise Cove "Resort" 3/25 and greatly enjoyed it.  We booked online and transportation from the cruise port and back was included.  The beach was beautiful and facilities basic but adequate.  They had a  snack/lunch counter and bar with a limited selection.  They have chairs and umbrellas at reasonable prices, along with kayaks, paddleboards, and snorkeling equipment for rent.  We booked the combo package that allowed us to choose two of the three of kayaks, paddleboards, and snorkeling, but it was too windy for kayaks or paddleboards so we just lounged and walked along the beautiful beach, enjoyed the beautiful surroundings, and snorkeled some.  The day we were there the moderately high winds caused the water to be fairly murky, but still saw a large number of a small variety of fish on their artificial reef, stingrays, and turtles.  I'll bet that when the winds are not so high the snorkeling is much better.  We will definitely go back next time we are on Freeport.  

• Like 1

Freeport—we were here today and did not plan an excursion. There is not much of anything at the actual port to do except the shacks for shopping and Senor Frogs and Dick Willies for drinking and people watching. Took a couple of pics from the ship after we got back. I will say Senor Frogs is on the expensive side, but the food looked good going out. Regular nachos were $17, but if you wanted beef it was $25. Conch Fritters app was $20, just to give you an idea of the food prices.
Small mug margaritas were $10 and larger mug (not Oktoberfest size lol) was $20. You could upcharge to the yard souvenir for $5, but beware, the bottom of the yard is not filled, so don’t think you are getting any extra, at least not the others I have visited where the yard is totally full to the bottom

The beer!?! $9.00/bottle, regular size. That was Bud Lite, and the local was more.  
some pics below of the port area. 
had a great time at Senor Frogs, but not a port I would need to visit again anytime soon. Hope this helps

B24BC4B8-8E6C-43FE-BA6D-3889E36ED805.jpeg

998CE6C8-8454-4087-B6E4-47E8D8D66138.jpeg

C5E0E154-C34C-4787-A1C3-854E9A38739D.jpeg

Those are definitely Tourist Prices.

The Bahamas are always more expensive, since everything is shipped in (try ordering a meal at Atlantis and see how expensive it can be), but there are lots of local places where you won't be gauged so much.