How much time do we really need at Mendenhall Glacier?

madre2

First of all, thanks for the advice!  We will be in Juneau in June and want to do a tour of Mendenhall Glacier. Basically we want to see it and walk to Nugget Falls, which I understand is about a 1 mile walk each way.  We basically want to take some pictures.  Our ship excursion allows 90 min there.  Is that enough time, or should we take the Blue Bus and do it on our own?

First, weather will be a factor.  You will want to spend more time if it's a nice day.  For me, I would want at least two or three hours to stroll to the falls, check out the quite good exhibits and movie in the Visitor's Center, walk the Trail of Time, and check out the Steep Creek trail to look for bears, although when you are there in June might make a difference in whether bears are around.  I take lots of photos of trees, plants, and clouds, as well as the glacier.  

I would take the ship excursion and if the glacier is at the end just tell the driver you'll find your own way back so they don't wait around for you. If there's a bus from the ship there when you're ready to leave, show them your ticket and ask if there's room on the bus.  Otherwise you can take the blue bus back or get a taxi.  You'll only be there once and there's a lot of interesting stuff to see and photograph.  Why rush?

1 hour ago, madre2 said:

First of all, thanks for the advice!  We will be in Juneau in June and want to do a tour of Mendenhall Glacier. Basically we want to see it and walk to Nugget Falls, which I understand is about a 1 mile walk each way.  We basically want to take some pictures.  Our ship excursion allows 90 min there.  Is that enough time, or should we take the Blue Bus and do it on our own?

Nuggets Falls and time for a few pictures is doable but you will need to hustle on the hike. If you want to take in the museum and a more relaxed hike to the Falls then take the bus and just make a trip of it.

I assume you are on an excursion that goes on to another stop somewhere. One of the bigger complaints of these types of excursions is the short time at Mendenhall.