New to Cruising and Very Nervous--Need Advice

I hear you!!!!! As you can read throughout the boards, I've been agonizing for months over similar issues with my 2 year old. Guess we're in the same boat!

Actually, that's a question I've had before and trying to get a definitive sense of HOW MANY CHILDREN UNDER 3 CAN I EXPECT ON A JUNE ZANDAAM TRIP TO ALASKA? Hal didn't have enough info yet to estimate. Just wondering re: trends. Hoping for lots and lots (sorry non kid people...)

I hear you!!!!! As you can read throughout the boards, I've been agonizing for months over similar issues with my 2 year old. Guess we're in the same boat!

Actually, that's a question I've had before and trying to get a definitive sense of HOW MANY CHILDREN UNDER 3 CAN I EXPECT ON A JUNE ZANDAAM TRIP TO ALASKA? Hal didn't have enough info yet to estimate. Just wondering re: trends. Hoping for lots and lots (sorry non kid people...)

Are you going on the Zaandam on June 9th to Alaska? I posted in Roll Call but still don't have anyone yet.

No! Bummer! My 2 year old would love to play with a 16 month old. Here's hoping there are more little ones out there.

And I do hear you. I'm worried about meltdowns en route. I'm worried about keeping under control all the time on decks and in public areas. I'm worried about going crazy in the cabin with nothing to do. And I'm worried about germs. This little one has had a lot (she got Lyme on our last trip), and I don't want any scary germs on vacation.

Best of luck to you! I cruise after you, so please post after your trip!

Hi. My family and I are going on the Zaandam (HAL) in June to Alaska. I'm scared too death. Worried about illness (my son is 16 months and will be on the cruise), making sure he has meals (can't get HAL to return the appropriate meal forms, booking a high chair, is the verandah safe for my son, etc. or answer my emails). My parents and in-laws are also cruising with us. My parents are very difficult to please and have a knack for blaming others when this happens. I've spent numerous hours making myself sick with fear and trying to find every piece of info I can to try and make sure they have something to do every moment of the day, any info on this particular cruise, excursions, illnesses, rape/crime, etc. Can anyone please please tell me anything that will help put some of my fears to rest and make it so I can enjoy my first vacation in years?

Start by only accepting blame for what is your own. You are NOT responsible for making sure your parents are happy. A PERSON IS ONLY RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS/HER OWN HAPPINESS!

Don't stress about the kid issue. You child will eat! If not, it's no one's fault on HAL. There are plenty of dining options for your you and your child to choose from.

Relax, dear! It's a vacation and it's supposed to be fun!

RELAX!

D.

Don't take this wrong, but it sounds like what you really need is a vacation for just you and DH. I think you should have some time to relax and de-stress, leaving the baby home with the grandparents. Yes, they all will survive.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Obviously you're stuck with the P's and P's in L - make it count. Sign them up (one set at a time) for some evening baby sitting so that you and DH can really relax and do just what you choose. For a reasonable fee, HAL stewards will also baby sit - many of them a missing their own 16/19 month olds and really enjoy looking after a little guy.

As for entertaining parents and in-laws, you should not have too. Send them to the library to read about Alaska. There are shore excursion that may be too strenuous for some - but you and DH go, take the little guy if appropriate, otherwise let one or other of the P's/P's in L look after him.

S-l-o-w...... d-o-w-n........HMMommy......... or you'll never make the cruise:) :) :)

HMH -

I think your fears vis-a-vis the ship/stateroom/dining room questions have been answered quite well.

As far as dealing with the parents goes:

1) Make sure your cabin is nowhere near theirs. If it is, change it now and when you get to the ship blame it on someone else ;);

2) Have hubby tip the waiter $20 very discretely the first night and tell him to pay extra attention to the demanding ones;

3) Get Xanax and Valium in Costco-sized packages. :p

Dear Mommy,

It's been a while for me since I traveled with a baby/toddler and never on a cruise. Here is my advice.

I'm sure the ship will have plenty for you little one to eat. By 16 months most are milk and there is plenty of that on board the other food item that might interest a little one are pasta, fruit, yogart, cereal, chicken strips, pizza and plenty of veggies. Cereal comes in those small boxes - grab some at the lido and take a few back to the room. Also take back some friuit like a banbanas, oranges, etc.

Make sure to plenty of diaper as that would be my biggest concern but am sure you can find them while in port. Also any over the counter meds. If germs are a concern in the room - bring some lysol or clorox wipes.

Your room will have very heavy glass door which open up to the balcony. I'm not sure about the railings on the balcony but I'm sure a child could not fit through - I would just be care if holding the baby near the railing.

I'm you plan on taking the child the pool you should have swim diapers - not sure of their real name as they did not have them DS with a tot. Using real diapers really get some people going and you need some sort of thing. I would also never take a 16 month old in the jacuzzi.

I also believe there is baby sitting on board from the women staff members - not sure how much it cost. You might want to check it out and it seems like a few evenings out w/ hubby might be in order. Or you could ask your in-laws so you and hubby could check out the night life at least once.

As far as stuff. I always traveled w/ the baby car seat for the plane. Did not like the idea of holding the baby. We also had a travel stoller - one that was light weight and easily callapsable - not the mall stoller.

Most of all enjoy!!! Also please come back and let us all know how it went. Post a review and suggestions of what worked and what didn't for other traveller with littles.

Joni

Hi, Mommy

Calm down and take a breath everything is going to be wonderful. Three years ago my husband and myself took our son, daughter-in-law and 9 month old grandson on a cruise to Bermuda. I took everything that he required with us including 3 gallons of water in carry-ons. The reason for the water was he was still taking a bottle and I was unsure how safe the cruise ship water would be on his tummy. To answer your questions you can call HA headquarters and put in a request for a crib. In your cabin just bring along a small cooler that collapses that you can fold into your luggage. Your cabin steward will keep plenty of ice for you to keep any food or juices cool. also remember that you will have any milk and juices available for him in the dining room so you may not have to bring yours. Their will be more for him to eat than you can imagine. The only problems that we had were that he was not sitting down and being quite during any of the nightly shows or during the formal dining. With us it worked out for my son and daughter-in-law didn't care for dressing up and having dinner, they perferred burgers and pizza, so we dressed and had dinner then went to the show and took over so they could go dancing later on each night. Make sure that you take a stroller onboard for this will be very helpful in case he has a crying episode that forces you to take a couple laps around the decks. One last thing you feared is for a safe trip. Just remember safety in numbers ,so far I have never been afraid. I just make sure I stay around the general public and not stray into secluded areas. You will have a great time I promise and I hope that I could be just a little helpful.

Missygirl :)

HMM,

The HAL 2006 Alaska cruise brochure (p.117) states that HAL "provides baby food , diapers, high chairs, booster chairs and cribs upon special request (30 days notice)via your travel professional or by calling Ship Services a 1-800-541-1576. Please note: there is a nominal fee for these items."

May I suggest you give the folks at Hal Ship Services a call and see what they can do to help.

Another suggestion if I may - stop by one your local travel agent offices and ask for a copy of the HAL 2006 cruise brochure. It may answer other questions for you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived