Does VO hold passports on Iceland cruises?

Phantom_Celery

Subject captures my question. This seems to vary from country to country and cruise line to cruise line. The reason I’m asking is for car rental purposes (Not that a passport is strictly required for car rentals in Iceland, but two  forms of ID typically are, and I only have so many photo IDs…).

On our Iceland circumnavigation Welcome Back cruise in 2022, they did not.  Only time Viking has held our passports is on multi country cruises.  For West Indies and the Amazon, we were given the choice to surrender our passport until ship cleared into Brazil or present ourselves with our passports at 5 am when authorities came on board.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

On our Iceland circumnavigation Welcome Back cruise in 2022, they did not.  Only time Viking has held our passports is on multi country cruises.  For West Indies and the Amazon, we were given the choice to surrender our passport until ship cleared into Brazil or present ourselves with our passports at 5 am when authorities came on board.

TL, you are losing track of time. Believe it or not but those Welcome Back cruises were almost 2 years ago, 2021.  <TL smacks forehead -- and laughs>

Time sure flies when we are having! 🥴

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

TL, you are losing track of time. Believe it or not but those Welcome Back cruises were almost 2 years ago, 2021.  <TL smacks forehead -- and laughs>

Time sure flies when we are having! 🥴

LOL. When I tried to book a cruise recently I told the agent February 19, 2023 and he said sorry but that ship sailed already.  Oops!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Phantom_Celery said:

Subject captures my question. This seems to vary from country to country and cruise line to cruise line. The reason I’m asking is for car rental purposes (Not that a passport is strictly required for car rentals in Iceland, but two  forms of ID typically are, and I only have so many photo IDs…).

Thanks for the reminder. I was planning on looking into a car rental at the pier for our day in Reykjavik when doing Bergen to New York in August. We were on the first Welcome Back Iceland trip in June 2021 and did not have to give in our passports at that time ; had to jump thru so many hoops to sail,but that wasn’t one of them.  
Not sure when you are sailing but if someone with more recent experience doesn’t answer your question, you might find out from a Cruise Critic Board about a current Iceland sailing.