Regatta Veranda on Alaska Cruise

china addict

We are Oceania regulars and have often sailed in a B1 or B2 on Regatta, but have never been to Alaska before.  We are hoping to spend lots of time on the veranda with binoculars, but I'm concerned about getting cold and wet.  Does O provide outdoor blankets (we are not Concierge level) and how does one keep the chairs dry?  Want to avoid over-packing but don't want to be unprepared either.  Sailing 10 days in June this year.  Hoping for advice.

I would not be surprised if the chairs got a quick tidy/dry when the rooms are done but I've never noticed. If needed, the blue "shorex" towels would probably work well on the balcony for drying or for putting between you and a damp seat. One thing I always pack for a possibly rainy-weather trip is a good quality rain poncho since it takes almost no space. It will keep you dry on deck if it's rainy/misty, and you can also use it as a barrier between you and a damp surface.

• Like 3

Just as an fyi, and it is not O specific....your best views are from an aft cabin. If you want to see the shore and all that it offers. You will more than likely want to be on an open deck where you can view both sides. That is best for a glacial sailing and sailing in and out of Icy Straits to Hoonah.

Check the weather before you leave because you might need shorts and cool shirts.

I also highly recommend water PROOF not water RESISTANT outerwear. You may not have a drop of rain in June but if you do with the proper attire you can do almost everything.

Enjoy.

I have sailed twice on "O" in AFT cabin 6090 with it's 180 degree view. It was wonderful. Out of 24 sailing days in June we had 3 days rain. The rest were absolutely beautiful, we wore shorts. That's not to say it will be cold. One never knows.

I am going on my third Alaska on "O" in May, and yes, I am in the same AFT cabin. I do anticipate much colder weather this time around but will be prepared.  Living in New England we do 4 beautiful seasons and have the clothing for all. I don't melt in the rain.

• Like 2

Thanks to all for the valuable feedback.  Those blue shore towels are a great idea for sitting on damp veranda chairs, and I will definitely wear layers.  Growing up in the north of England, I appreciate the importance of waterproof over water-resistant.  Best suggestion of all was to book an aft cabin for the views.  Too late for this cruise where we are only waitlisted, but wish I had thought of this sooner.  Thanks to the O community for your sound advice.