Advice on GUARANTEE reservations

MnDAL

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

showing   1 cabin  in A 4 available

With one Cabin left, “availability” can change from minute to minute and revert to a GTD situation. 

4 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

With one Cabin left, “availability” can change from minute to minute and revert to a GTD situation. 

true

But  when you see one open grab it 😉

On 3/21/2023 at 2:29 PM, shepherd really said:

If you are happy with what you got for the price you paid then it was a good deal for you, but there is no savings on Oceania for booking a GTD cabin.

Well.......in a way, it is a saving.  Booking a GTY in a waitlisted lower category likely saves you from having to book something at a higher level. 😄. I've done that myself several times.  It gets us on the ship for a price that works for us.  No complaints from me!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

true

But  when you see one open grab it 😉

My OP was for pros/cons of booking a GTD - the assumption is that there is a GTD available. I had the choice - a GTD or a poor cabin on the same deck.

34 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Well.......in a way, it is a saving.  Booking a GTY in a waitlisted lower category likely saves you from having to book something at a higher level. 😄. I've done that myself several times.  It gets us on the ship for a price that works for us.  No complaints from me!

Are you saying you have booked GTY (or booked higher cats due to WL)? If you have booked GTY, could you share the outcomes?

35 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

Only if you are willing to take a lower category.  I won't cruise without a balcony so it isn't a strategy I'd use.

37 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

My OP was for pros/cons of booking a GTD - the assumption is that there is a GTD available. I had the choice - a GTD or a poor cabin on the same deck.

OK 

So you book a GTY  & you get a bad locations   then what?

The cabin I saw   was in the aft quarter   so it looked fin to me

YMMV

39 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

Are you saying you have booked GTY (or booked higher cats due to WL)? If you have booked GTY, could you share the outcomes?

I once booked a GTY on Princess the only cabin in the cat I wanted was near the bow  after a few months we were assigned a cabin

It was the one in the bow

I never will book a GTY again

but that is me 

43 minutes ago, MnDAL said:

Yes, I've often booked a GTY-only for a Waitlisted category (did not book a higher category).  Whenever I do, we ALWAYS get a cabin at the very least in that category - sometimes higher.  I don't keep old records so I'm not able to provide exact examples.  It does save us thousands of dollars by not having to book a higher category.  Most importantly, we're on the ship and happy as clams!

P.S. Does anyone know where the expression "happy as clams" originated? 😆

Edited by YoPhilly

6 minutes ago, YoPhilly said:

...Most importantly, we're on the ship and happy as clams!

P.S. Does anyone know where the expression "happy as clams" originated? 😆

"The phrase originated in the north-eastern states of the USA in the early 19th century. The earliest citation that I can find is from a frontier memoir The Harpe's Head - A Legend of Kentucky, 1833:

"It never occurred to him to be discontented... He was as happy as a clam."

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/as-happy-as-a-clam.html

Edited by MEFIowa
Added source
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

"The phrase originated in the north-eastern states of the USA in the early 19th century. The earliest citation that I can find is from a frontier memoir The Harpe's Head - A Legend of Kentucky, 1833:

"It never occurred to him to be discontented... He was as happy as a clam."

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/as-happy-as-a-clam.html

Thanks for the info!