Nieuw Statendam Vista Cabin Storage Space

Sebbiesgrammy

We are experienced HAL cruisers and have been on the Nieuw Statendam before - just 6 months ago - also in a Vista Suite but I never took note of storage because we were only on an 8 day sail and the storage was manageable.

We just booked on a 28 day on her for next year and have some concerns about the cabin we selected.

After selecting 5131 because of it's mid-ship location, I saw that it is has a pull out sofa (they almost all have this) and a drop down bed.  We have no use for either BUT I am concerned about the potential loss of the space above the sofa that will now have a pull down bed. Also, can't remember if this cabin had drawers under the sofa or am I confusing it with a Norwegian ship I also sailed on a few months ago -- aging brain, I think.

Has anyone had experience with this and, is the space with the drop down bed usable at all for storage when the bed it folded up? I'm creative with the Command hooks, shoe bags, magnets and all the rest, but I cannot stand the clutter of a cabin that eventually looks like a storage closet and I'm not willing to spend up 10K for a Signature Suite.  Any first hand knowledge appreciated while I still have time to maybe change cabins. Thanks!!

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam in a Vista Suite last week, with the same room configuration (4 guests).

The sofa had cabinets above it but was stuffed full of life jackets. You could always move these under the bed I suppose. No drawers under the sofa.

I don't think the pull-down bed could be used for storage, as it folds up flush with the pocket that it sits in. You would also need a room steward to unlock/lower it I believe.

We had two different veranda cabins on the sister ship Konigsdam.

What we noticed is the Deck 4 cabin had very short storage drawers by the closets, compared to our cabin on Deck 8. However, we were packed for 19 days and it still all fit in the Deck 4 cabin. 

I don't know if the short drawers - about half the depth of the other deck drawers - were a quirk just for Deck 4 or not. The bonus on Deck 4 was a very expanded balcony, so it was a nice tradeoff.

Hope your Deck 5 cabin does not have this same feature. We assumed it was caused by some internal obstructions on Deck 4, in that location.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shawn742 said:

We were just on the Nieuw Statendam in a Vista Suite last week, with the same room configuration (4 guests).

The sofa had cabinets above it but was stuffed full of life jackets. You could always move these under the bed I suppose. No drawers under the sofa.

I don't think the pull-down bed could be used for storage, as it folds up flush with the pocket that it sits in. You would also need a room steward to unlock/lower it I believe.

Thanks for this info.  It helps me understand. I thought the pull down bed wss over the sofa, which now seems really dumb 😅

In two weeks we could tell you exactly as we are in NS 5131, Apr 08 to 29. Florida to Rome.

Then change cabins to next door 5135 for Rome to Amsterdam, Apr 29 to May 14.

Unfortunately, we might be cancelling both cruises due to health. Should have bought cancellation insurance. Ouch! Oh, and flights and hotels. The best laid plans etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

We had two different veranda cabins on the sister ship Konigsdam.

What we noticed is the Deck 4 cabin had very short storage drawers by the closets, compared to our cabin on Deck 8. However, we were packed for 19 days and it still all fit in the Deck 4 cabin. 

I don't know if the short drawers - about half the depth of the other deck drawers - were a quirk just for Deck 4 or not. The bonus on Deck 4 was a very expanded balcony, so it was a nice tradeoff.

Hope your Deck 5 cabin does not have this same feature. We assumed it was caused by some internal obstructions on Deck 4, in that location.

HERE is a video of Vista Suite 4106 on the Kongsingdam.  It will show some of the storage in the stateroom.  Start at minute marker 2:32.  The drawers look deep to me.

• Like 1