QM2 Saunas

DAllenTCY

I have NOT been on the QM2, but from what I have heard from others who have sailed on her, this is the story. The saunas and steam rooms are located in the spa and there is a charge for their useage. Also since they are co-ed, American rules apply, which means bathing attair is required. Not at all like on the QE2, no charge and European rules apply, which means only a towel is necessary. This may change after her re-fit in April 06.

There is a $29/day charge to use the spa facilities, including a beautiful hydrotherapy pool, foot baths, hot tub, and the various saunas.

I think the spa is fabulous and the saunas are really wonderful -- worth the price! There's a dry sauna, an herbal sauna, and an aromatherapy sauna (although that's not what they call it -- but you get the idea). The saunas are smallish -- maybe seating for 6-8 at most -- but they are beautifully designed and maintained.

It's hard to describe the hydrotherapy pool if you've never been in one, but basically it has different areas with water being moved around in different ways. For example, one one end there is a "bed" made out of horizontal rods that you recline on and the water rushes over you. There is a funnel in the center where the water bubbles up around your legs and is very rejuvinating for tired legs. There's a gentle water fall. And tubes arcing out of the sides that drop water at high pressure, which is great for aching backs. Can you tell I spent a lot of time here?! :D

They do offer 2-for-1 specials some days -- so watch for them in the Daily Programme!

The $29 charge for the saunas is waived if you get a massage on the same day you want to use the sauna.

BTW -- Canyon Ranch runs the spa on the QM2 (as opposed to Steiner on the QE2 and many other ships.) I found Canyon Ranch to provide much better service. I had two massages (Swedish and aromatheraphy) and they were absolutely delightful.

Archived