Flam Train, Zipline and Bike excursion

Hi, I'm considering booking this tour with Norway's Best Flåm Railway, Flåm Zipline, Rallarvegen Cycling Tour | Norways best.  We will be on HAL NS in August arriving in Flam at 10am.  Available train departures are 10:45am or 12pm, with 55min ride to get to the station close to the zipline. I'm concerned that since it's not a ship excursion, we may not make the 10:45am train, so feel we need to plan for the 12pm train.  I'm hopeful the logistics of the zipline doesn't take more than 1-1.5hr, which leaves about 3 hours for the 15km bike ride. We want to be latest back to the port by 5:30pm as ship leaves at 6pm.  Does this sound doable?  Has anyone done this excursion and can comment, traveling is myself & hubby (both 50s) and our 11yr old.

It sounds fun.....   We did the train up and biked down from Mydral (not a ship excursion) and it was great.   We did not do the zipline down, so it sounds like your bike route would be different or a subset of ours, but general scenery would be similar I would think.

The 10:45 train might be tight.    The train station in Flam is very close to the ship, however, I would be concerned if you are tendering.    In our case, we were scheduled to tender.   Our ship arrived early and they docked at the pier and let off only the passengers who were booked on ship's excursions.   Then the ship pulled back from the dock as another ship docked for the day.   So everyone else on our ship had to tender (including us) - and the tendering was behind schedule - so it took a while.  

Your experience may be completely different, you may be docked or your ship may have its own tender boats, etc.   

Good luck and have fun..

• Like 1

I do think if your are docked then 10:45 probably doable.   The 12:00 train might have timing issues at the backend with biking down in time to return to ship as you suggest.    You don't know what the logistics of the zipline and also the bike rental place will be like.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The zipline website says it ends near Rallarrosa.    Google maps says 16 km and 57 min by bike from Rallarrosa to Flam.   However, that is likely non stop.   You are going to want to take a leisurely pace and stop for photos, etc.   Maybe plan 2 hours?

I remember our bike trek form Mydral to Flam (longer that from Rallarrosa) took about 2.5 hours but we had plenty of stops...

• Like 1